My advice to those just starting

Options
Let me start by giving you a little bit of my background. I am 46, and have been on this journey for over 2 yrs. My start weight was 250 lbs. My current weight is 174 lbs. It is a long and sometimes hard process, but it can be as easy as you make it. I eat what I want 95% of the time with moderation. I rarely exercise except for walking and the occasional kickboxing class with my sister in law when I'm visiting NY. I just, in the past 2 months have started weighing my food but I do not track every little thing that goes in my mouth. I refuse to be a slave to food.

My first bit of advice is,

1. Read the forums. There is a wealth of information in the forums. The people on here speak from experience. Keep in mind however, that everybody is different. What works for one may not work for you. Which leads into my next bit of advice.

2. Find what works for you. Do not be afraid to experiment with different things, whether it's different food or exercise or calorie levels. Just give it time before you decide it's not working for you.

3. Do not be afraid to ask for help. There are some amazing people on here more than willing to offer advice and help. As previously stated, they speak from experience.

4. Do not let your feelings get hurt if someone tells you something you may not want to hear. Yes, there can be some rude people on here but most of the time they mean well. Again they speak from experience and when they say something it is out of concern for your well being. Especially if what you are saying resembles behaviors that they have already lived through and dealt with.

5. Have faith in yourself. You CAN do this with a little work and determination.

In closing I would just like to say I wish you luck on your new life.

Replies

• freckles753
    Options
    Lovely post and totally agree with all of that :-)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Ditto:smile:
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Some good advice there - thank you!
  • krystal0927
    Options
    I love your post. This was excellent because I have a bad food day yesterday.
  • raggiemom
    raggiemom Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    great post...all true!! I've just started my journey and met some wonderful, supportive people. Together, we can do this!!
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options

I'm glad you liked my post. You're not gonna slash a hole in all your tires just because you got one flat. Just keep going.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Ditto:smile:

heymikey.jpg
  • dissidentsoul
    Options
    Really good advice!!:smile::smile:
  • micheleboone
    Options
    This is JUST what I needed to hear today. I was feeling some kind of way this morning. Thanks for posting.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    This is JUST what I needed to hear today. I was feeling some kind of way this morning. Thanks for posting.

I sincerely hope this helped :)
  • ROBINCAN2
    ROBINCAN2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the good advice! And yes we need to have our mindset that this is a journey and it will not happen overnight. Thanks again!
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Awesome, Thanks
  • needtogetfit932
    Options
    Good advice!
  • aishmartin
    aishmartin Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options

I'm glad you liked my post. You're not gonna slash a hole in all your tires just because you got one flat. Just keep going.

Exactly. Nobody can lose weight from one good day or one meal. We don't gain weight from one day or one meal either. Don't let it derail you. Keep going.
  • Kaibrosky
    Kaibrosky Posts: 24
    Options
    Awesome advice! Just what I needed to hear!:flowerforyou:
  • EyeHensley
    EyeHensley Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So glad you shared this! Thank you. I know I can do it but it sure helps to hear from others who have!
  • slimmalikah
    slimmalikah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Love it!!!
  • nomoreyoyo67
    Options
    Great post! Congrats to you on losing so much weight. I too, am 46 and find it very difficult for the weight to come off. I get very discouraged and often quit and have to start over:(
  • tenathequeena
    Options
    AWESOME!!!