Protein

Options
I am 29 and weight train 5 days a week. Some years ago i was in really good shape ( large muscular build and low body fat percentage) but i got there just by going down the gym a lot and paid no attention to diet or nutritional intake. Since i stopped training i got rather overweight and am now trying to rectify the situation. I understand i am 10 years older now so I have been doing a lot of reading on nutrition and diet, and have lots of conflicting info on protein. I typically consume about 170 grams of protein a day ( this includes 3 scoops per day of 90+ protein shake). My muscles are returning quite quickly so just wanted to know if i am having too much protein as MFP always says that i am way over.

Replies

• ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I'm not sure what MFP bases their macros on, but I used this to get my recommended protein from http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

You're not eating too much protein. What I want to make sure I'm not going over on is my calories and fat.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about the protein suppliments but my instinct is to try and get protein from food sources ie meats and nuts, regular food since they probably have more nutrients for the buck as far as calories go plus my needed protein. Just my uneducated opinion though. :bigsmile:
  • bales84
    bales84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good morning from the UK and thanks for the input. I don't remember it being this hard last time. After a night of lots and lots of reading i have decided to up my calorific intake from 1600 to 2000 so lets see if this speeds up my weight loss. I already knew what my BMR was, and when i factored in the Harris Benedict equation i realised that i was only consuming about half of my required calories, so at 2000 i will still have a deficit of around 750. My protein requirements look a lot better too.