Someone please explain, 30+ pounds to lose.

Options

Replies

• I found a scale at the goodwill for $1.99. Look around at the thrift stores.
  • JoshuaElement
    Options
    I realized after I posted this that people were going to tell me about getting a scale, I know I should! But being in college, I can't really afford one nor do I honestly think I'll use it /:
    As far as food goes, I consider it a win to not have pizza and beer every night with my friends. I'm working on the nutrition though!

Thanks for the thoughts.

You're just full of excuses aren't you?

If you can't track something accurately you won't get good results.

When I'm in a lab doing submaximal testing on a subject do you think I'm guessing what their V02 is? I sure as hell don't sit there and say, "Uhh. I guess you're at 60% at the moment, let's push it a little harder". God no. I have a calibrated machine that gives me exact readings.

God damn people are stupid these days.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I realized after I posted this that people were going to tell me about getting a scale, I know I should! But being in college, I can't really afford one nor do I honestly think I'll use it /:
    As far as food goes, I consider it a win to not have pizza and beer every night with my friends. I'm working on the nutrition though!

Thanks for the thoughts.

I know what it is like when money is tight, but you can find digital scales on Amazon for $6-10.
    http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-Digital-BL-1KG-BLK/dp/B0012N1NAA/ref=lp_289787_1_1/188-4968000-0203218?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1394659829&sr=1-1
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    No offense to the OP but the poor college student excuse just definitely is that...an EXCUSE!! I have been poor as *kitten* for the past 4 years and my first year was absolutely horrific. I ate only the food on campus and wasn't working out and just rotted in my dorm room and cried and ate badly. That summer, I decided to quit the excuses and just do it and from that day on I never looked back. Now?? Couldn't tell you the last time I went out to eat at school. If my friends want to do something I will gladly do it but if it must involve food I do it on my cheat meal day. Other than that, I won't eat with them. Don't be afraid to do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what everyone else is doing. It is actually quite liberating. I watch my roommates eat disgusting food every day while I go to the grocery store once a week spend $50 on raw chicken, bags of salad, bags of fresh veggies, yogurt, etc. Baking chicken in the oven takes about 40 minutes and in the last 10 minutes I steam my veggies on the stove. VOILA! I am living paycheck to paycheck barely making ends meet right now but I am happy because my goals come first in my life. Also, I've never used a food scale and never had an issue. I would suggest changing your nutrition before you go the food scale route. You would probably see better results. Hope you find your success!! :)
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady girl. I am 5'3 and you see how much I have to lose and the weight I have lost has taken close to 1 year to get off. :) I should be the one complaining about not losing it fast enough LOL and I workout 6 days a week and 1 day rest :P
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am no expert at all here, but after looking at your diary, I am wondering if you need to make some changes in your eating habits? It doesn't look like you eat much of any fruits or veggies. Also, it looks like you have a lot of "take out" meals. You dont eat a whole lot each day but the little bit of foods you do eat dont seam like the best options??? I would suggest planning ahead, making your meals and lunches.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Have you ever bought a pizza? Like $3.99 can buy you a medium Hot'N'Ready pizza at Little Caesar's. Have you ever made a healthy meal? Far more expensive from my experience, unless you like munching on lettuce and carrots all day. Just saying.

Not to the OP, just forgot to quote. ;)

I think that is because you don't know how to make cheap healthy meals.
    Try this site (Navigation is weird...but hey) http://agirlcalledjack.com/category/recipes-food/

And read this to understand where she is coming from: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jan/07/jack-monroe-ready-meal-challenge
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I do agree with people on the scale issue -- you can find good ones on Amazon for less than $20-30. Here is one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N07KUE/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It really can be a game changer.

But you say that you're losing 1.6 lb/week and exercising -- that's a good number. The more fat you lose versus muscle, the slow the numbers on the scale will go. This is because 1 lb of fat releases 3500 kcals, where as 1 lb of muscle releases far fewer kcals (somewhere from 600-1500 kcals). So, when you have a 3500 calorie deficit, if it's all fat, you'll only lose 1 lb. But if it's all muscle that's lost, that could be as much as 5.8 lbs on the scale.

Two ways you can reduce the muscle loss of the equation (i.e. and increase your percentage of fat) is (1) heavy lifting and (2) sufficient protein intake (debate on what this is, but I use 0.7 g protein per lb bodyweight). Most exercise also helps this equation, but heavy lifting has been shown specifically.

So, when you're losing more fat and less muscle in a caloric deficit, the scale goes down slower. So, 1.6 lbs is actually a very good number if you're exercising (especially heavy lifting) and eating enough protein. You're doing pretty good!

For lifting, check out this story -- she's the same size at 117 lbs, 132 lbs and 141 lbs -- the difference is that she put on a lot more muscle and improved her body comp. I find it really inspirational: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Alex_murphyy
    Alex_murphyy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I also looked at your diary and one of the things I noticed is the foods that you are eating. I am in the same boat as you. We are at about the same weight. I know people will debate me till there blue in the face but just because your food is within your calories doesn't mean that it isn't affecting your body. Look at your sodium intake, your fat intake as well as your carb intake. For example, last night you had peach cobbler. Even though you were within your calories for the day, things like that will prolong your weight loss.

I have noticed when I eat less carbs and more protein in the day, I loose. Just what I have noticed about myself.
    Hopefully this helps!
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Also, I usually add twice the food I eat (for example if I have half a cup I log a cup) to be sure I didn't over eat, and I log half of my exercise (took an hour cardio class, I only log 30 min) so I don't ever estimate. How could I still be going over?

Also I guess it's not as slow as I thought, I did the math and I've lost about 1.6 pounds a week.

I guess I'm just getting impatient. :(

A lot of your diary entries show you only logging (for examples) half or 2/3 a sandwich or 1/4 of a loaded baked potato or 3/4 a cup of cereal...does this really mean you're only eating 1/4 to 1/3 of a sandwich or 1/8 of a loaded potato or 3/8 (?!) of a cup of cereal?? How do you even measure that? If you find yourself stalling you're probably going to want to take an honest look at these estimations.

As a side note, given that you are hoping to one day become a dietitian, you're going to have to have these same conversations with people coming to you for help and you're going to be the one calling shenanigans on their excuses. I think that's what people here are trying to do for you, help you eliminate the excuses so that you can see the progress you want.

If I log half a sandwich, I only ate a 1/3 or a 1/4. Sometimes I log a 1/4 if I took a bite if someone else's sandwich. How do I measure half a serving of cereal? 1/4 cup milk? With a measuring cup. Potato? Cut it into eighths.

OP, just wanted to point out if you do get a food scale, it is very easy to measure the amount of potato you're having in grams, milks in fluid ounces or mL, cereal in ounces or grams. Most do tare and conversions. It is insanely easier to measure food on a scale than with eye-balling or measuring cups/spoons.
  • trizzletrix
    trizzletrix Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    1.6lbs a week is great progress!

If you want to keep the weight off when you do eventually lose it I wouldn't suggest trying to push it further than that.

Also other posters have given some great advice. I'm at uni too so I understand the money situation but you've just got to look at your priorities. How much do you really want to lose weight? Because investing in a kitchen scale will help that immensely, even if it means sacrificing a night out.

It IS hard to eat right as well when a lot of people around you aren't, but again PRIORITIES :D I personally like to eat a lot, so I choose less calorie dense foods (like veggies and fruits) so I can snack more often. I get teased sometimes but it's all good.

I'm losing weight whilst still having a good time at uni and enjoying the occasional cheeky night out ;)
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I also looked at your diary and one of the things I noticed is the foods that you are eating. I am in the same boat as you. We are at about the same weight. I know people will debate me till there blue in the face but just because your food is within your calories doesn't mean that it isn't affecting your body. Look at your sodium intake, your fat intake as well as your carb intake. For example, last night you had peach cobbler. Even though you were within your calories for the day, things like that will prolong your weight loss.

I have noticed when I eat less carbs and more protein in the day, I loose. Just what I have noticed about myself.
    Hopefully this helps!

I found the same for me. I tend to eat a low carb diet with good protein and high fat. Not low enough carb to be true keto, but I try to keep the carbs in the 50-80 range (total, not net).

I now know why that works so well for me whereas calorie counting itself wasn't enough -- because I have insulin resistance. But, I didn't know this for years. Some people are just much more sensitive to carbs, so a low carb, high fat diet works particularly well. You can try this as well and see if you see a difference for yourself -- it will work for some ,but others won't notice a difference.
  • Alyssawinter1221
    Options
    Wow I did not realize people were going to tear into me and call me stupid and a liar.

My parents pay for a lot of my food, and so does my boyfriend. They just do without my asking. Especially now since I'm home for spring break visiting my family.

God, I'll get a scale just because I feel like I was brow beaten into it.

How do I delete this post? I don't wanna take this beating anymore.
  • sally884
    sally884 Posts: 51
    Options
    You're doing great! We have about the same goals and are the same hight. Getting a scale was huge for me...I actually got to eat more than I said i was :) also, I suggest you be as accurate as what you are actually eating. This was when you look back go see how you can change you know for sure what you logged was what you ate. Otherwise keep up the great work. I'm impressed your doing so well being so busy at school :)
  • sally884
    sally884 Posts: 51
    Options
    Ignore those people. They aren't looking for your best interests :)
  • kmglennie
    kmglennie Posts: 40
    Options
    To the OP- A lot of us are recommending not to eyeball *because* we've done it ourselves and failed at it. You had asked for help with understanding where you were going wrong, and people are trying to give suggestions. It's true that people here don't take kindly to things that sound like excuses, and it's also true that you will often receive tough love, but I do feel it's out of the intention to help.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Okay so splurge and spend the $10 on a scale (doesn't need to be fancy just need to weigh in grams and ounces).

You need to log properly and learn to make some simple dishes. Omelettes are easy to make and good anytime of the day. Stir fry is simple and easy. There are plenty of good foods that don't require cooking yourself. On Sundays grab a pre-roasted chicken at the grocery store and a bunch of salad fixings or minute rice and you will have at least 6-8 meals. Sweet potatoes are awesome and baked sweet potatoe fries are so easy. No need to be complicated - keep your foods simple.

Check your settings - what did you set your activity level at? I would set it at sedentary and log the exercise then eat your daily goal calories and about 1/2 of what is added for exercise. That way on days you exercise you can keep better track of your food and on days you don't exercise you will eat your calorie goal for the day.

Not an expert but I think at this point you should try to be as accurate as possible. Within a couple weeks weighing and logging food and exercise will be easy. Congrats on your loss so far - you are doing great! :flowerforyou:
  • Alyssawinter1221
    Options
    To the OP- A lot of us are recommending not to eyeball *because* we've done it ourselves and failed at it. You had asked for help with understanding where you were going wrong, and people are trying to give suggestions. It's true that people here don't take kindly to things that sound like excuses, and it's also true that you will often receive tough love, but I do feel it's out of the intention to help.

I don't eyeball... I use measuring cups. It's not like I'm totally off.
    I don't think people telling me I'm stupid and full of excuses is any kind of love, including tough.

I thought this was a community that was open to questions, without degrading someone and name calling. I will not make that mistake again! Thank you for the legitimate suggestions and the kind words. I'll get a scale.
  • Jeannieclark84
    Jeannieclark84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your dairy. I feel that you just are not eating enough. You need to give your body nutrients and fuel so you need to eat. I get being a college student. I have spent the past 4 years in vet school and that does not leave much time for anything else. But I finally realized that I had to make time.
    When I started back in April of 2013 I weight 270ish. I am now 205 now. Everyone's body is different. struggled for years. I joined MFP in 2010 and bounced back and forth. I tried weight watchers and the weight started to come off but then it was just too difficult for me to keep up with.
    In April, I bought a fitbit one, a good scale to weigh myself on, and a food scale. I make my menu out for the entire week and grocery shop on Saturday and cook most of my meals on Sunday so I can grab and go. There have been times over the past year that I fail but I get back on and go again. I aim for three meals with three snacks throughout the day. I have a huge lunch box that goes everywhere with me. The money that I spent on the above items has been well worth it. I am feeling healthier and I have much more energy. If you want to lose it you will find a way.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]3153899.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Wow I did not realize people were going to tear into me and call me stupid and a liar.

My parents pay for a lot of my food, and so does my boyfriend. They just do without my asking. Especially now since I'm home for spring break visiting my family.

God, I'll get a scale just because I feel like I was brow beaten into it.

How do I delete this post? I don't wanna take this beating anymore.

I'm so sorry for this. Unfortunately, I've found this to be far too typical. I had the same experience when I first got here -- got called a liar, crazy, in denial, etc. I don't know why some people here like to do that -- this is the first fitness board where this is so prevalent.

Forget them; they're not worth it. Just friend people that have similar comments -- there are quite a few good ones out there. You just have to ignore the bad and rude.