Advice: 9 year old wants to run on treadmill

Options
We have a treadmill and my husband and I often use it. In recent years both of my daughters have shown interest in using it. Two years ago my then 7 YO ran her first 5K. She loved it. Last year she placed 2nd and she's on FIRE to do more 5K's this year!

Has anyone else broached having their kids run on the treadmill? I've Googled and nothing really comes up. Thinking have her walk 3 - 5 minutes. Trot/run for 3 - 5 mins, alternate and see how she feels and stay right there beside her at the machine.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    something wrong with outside?
  • viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    What about going for runs with her outside?

edit: I clarify why I ask - so that you can do it as a family activity. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for safety reasons or just the exercise. no real dif vs. running outside as far as exercise, but could be dangerous if they slip, etc.
  • beth4dieting3
    beth4dieting3 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Your daughter sounds like she is into fitness and I think this should be encouraged. The fact she has already done a 5k says she is serious about it. 9 is not a baby so I think if you educate her on how to use the machine, she will be fine. Teach her about warming up, jogging at a realistic level and cooling down. Starting her on this path now will ensure years of fitness in her life. I think once she shows she isn't there to goof off, you won't have to watch her constantly, as with any sport. Good job, Mom. I'd say go for it, but educate her about the machine. And, dont' let it be obsessively done. Good luck! Beth
  • suzfirebird
    suzfirebird Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 7 years old and I let her use the treadmill for walking/jogging for about 20 minutes whenever she is in the mood to use it. I do stay by the treadmill so that she isn't goofing around with it. I know that if not taking seriously the treadmill belt can burn off skin so I am very careful. We have long winters here in North Dakota so I know kids need to get some energy out somehow and she also uses my mini trampoline occasionally (I watch her the whole time).
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    i think is a good think! if she starts counting calories then you have a problem!! My almost 5 year old likes working out with me and actually enjoys it!!
  • ChaoticMum
    ChaoticMum Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    In answer to those who said 'outside'.....not sure where the OP lives, but I know that we live in rural Southern Manitoba where there is 4' of snow on the ground, our roads are plowed when the drifts reach a foot themselves, we've just gotten out of a 4mth long stretch of -40 windchills (take your pick - Fahrenheit or Celsius with that number) so running outside is not an option for at least another month (or two) and hasn't been one for at least 4mths.

THAT being said - Yes. My 8, 9 and 11yr olds are on the treadmill. They do fast walks usually, not running but its a way to get them moving on top of the usual indoor activities. Have them wear the safety pull at an appropriate length, teach them how to be safe and be there with them. Mine usually walk while I'm lifting weights nearby.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see it as a problem. Just don't do something crazy .. as in speed. She should be fine. The very worst thing .. is she falls and ends up on YouTube.

Good luck.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    My 12 and 7 YO come to the gym with my husband and I and walk or run on the treadmills next to us. As long as they don't cause problems and they give up their machines if the gym gets busy, the staff doens't mind them in there. The younger one's go to child watch, though.
  • soundtrack
    soundtrack Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    We're in Massachusetts. And yup! There's still snow on the ground. It wouldn't be easy to jump off the road - you'd be in deep wet snow. Yuck!

We could drive somewhere and run around the school or wherever but where we have the treadmill it's easy to just use that. When the weather does warm up we'll return outside. Who doesn't love the sunshine and fresh air!?

Ok, thanks for all the advice folks! I'll use what you've offered and come back to update someday real soon :)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Check with their pediatrician if you are questioning yourself.
  • ChaoticMum
    ChaoticMum Posts: 115 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^

Yes. The -30C windchill and 4' of snow.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    does your treadmill have a dead mans switch - the little tab that stops the treadmill if it get pulled out - at least if she slips and falls the treadmill will stop ?
  • gonesewing
    gonesewing Posts: 63 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^

Yes. The -30C windchill and 4' of snow.

And don't forget the ICE. We have had incredible ice storms here this winter. I am only in Southwestern Ontario and I still have patches on my driveway and sidewalks.