HIIT and HRM

Options
Hi guys,
I finally broke down and got a HRM, and as expected, I find that my hour workout burns about 500 calories rather than the closer to 600 that MFP calculates. However, half of the workout I spend doing HIIT, which I know is supposed to burn more calories than more level cardio. However, I suspect that the HRM does not account for that, right? It is just doing some basic math with my height, weight, and HR, right? Surely there are more actual factors involved? I'm planning to just go with what the HRM says, but I'd like to hear what people think of this.

Replies

• acarmelo1
    acarmelo1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think MFP numbers are a little to inflated, When I run I use Map My Run, and it gives me a figure, then if I put the same info on MFP it gives me another figure off by like 100. don't know which one to trust.
  • ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    In exercise, always go for the lowest calorie burn and hope for the biggest.
    In food intake, always go for the biggest count and hope for the smallest.

This way you are not overestimating anything.
  • orthetiger
    orthetiger Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! After reading a bit more it seems much of the benefit from HIIT is from the 24 hours after as well, so the numbers are probably pretty close. I'm going with the HRM.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...half of the workout I spend doing HIIT, which I know is supposed to burn more calories than more level cardio.

That's not correct.

Back to your original question, HRMs will considerably overestimate burn numbers for HIIT type training. Start by cutting the number it gives you by 60%.
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    In exercise, always go for the lowest calorie burn and hope for the biggest.
    In food intake, always go for the biggest count and hope for the smallest.

This way you are not overestimating anything.

That's what I do.
  • orthetiger
    orthetiger Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That's not correct.

Back to your original question, HRMs will considerably overestimate burn numbers for HIIT type training. Start by cutting the number it gives you by 60%.

Do you have evidence for these claims?