Av-oh my cal-cado!

Options
JanieC93
JanieC93 Posts: 34 Member
OK.... so I am in love with Avocados!

They have been ranked as one of the most healthiest and nutritious foods to eat! BUT - the calories and fats are CRAZY!
I haven't had a full serving of avocado in weeks and it's driving me crazy!

I also heard that it is extremely beneficial to eat at least one/half of an avocado daily.

So my question to you guys... is the avocado worth the crazy calories?

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Yes it is and the fats in avacado are very good for you. Fats in general are great for you for hormone balance, over all health. Just make sure you're weighing it and logging it accurately.
  • JanieC93
    JanieC93 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Im just nervous for the fact that the calorie intake is roughly 350 (estimating). So that's almost 1/4 of my daily recommended calorie
  • paula5077
    paula5077 Posts: 57
    Options
    I love avocado's also! I have learned I can eat them everyday...just happens to be a 1/4 of one rather than a whole one. Example today I had a half a can of tuna with avocado mashed up in it instead of mayo and pickle. Yesterday I wrapped 4 pc of ham around a piece (105 calorie snack). last week I cooked an egg in half an avocado. Just be creative. And remember they have GOOD fats so don't worry too much about going over, its better to go over with good healthy foods than b/c you ate pizza or a big mac :)
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh them? I find half an avocado to be about 100 calories or so by weight. But of course it depends on the size of the fruit and pit.

I say they are definitely worth fitting in to my day. I grew up on them and have no intention of not eating them often now!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Some weeks I eat an avocado with chicken at lunch every day. Totally worth it.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I love them, I tend to have half at a time, depending on the size it's not that bad cal wise. The ones I get are around 80g for half which I think is like 130 calories.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have a whole avocado about 4 times a week as part of my dinner. I do not care about the calories, and anyway, they are not that extortionate if you consider an average avocado, with stone and skin removed is about 80-90g, so under 200 calories. Less than a lot of chocolate bars. I have mine with salmon, veggies and a sweet potato usually. Nutrient powerhouse.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Not to me, I'd rather have fried chicken or chocolate if I want high cal deliciousness.. But then I can't even taste avocado without spitting it out and gagging.
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    eat them all.. !! alllllll...!!

seriously though, as mentioned above they're nutrient powerhouses and they're incredibly delicious. think of it as replacing something unhealthy that you'd eat instead; fit it into your calories and never look back.

Also - i find 1/4 to 1/2 is plenty of avocado at a meal. I get the same satisfaction if i cut down on the serving size.
  • karinajean2388
    karinajean2388 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yes. I usually eat half for a snack, but I am not gonna feel guilty about eating a whole. Yum.
  • trishfitllc
    trishfitllc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    weigh and measure it, it's VERY dense nutritionally but of so good for you, unless you are OVEREATING it! it's great mashed with lime juice and a salsa....get the flavor but with fewer calories!
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options
    Had some around 11am and was not hungry until 6pm...Keeps me super satiated,. Also good for pretty skin so worth it to me.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I love them, I tend to have half at a time, depending on the size it's not that bad cal wise. The ones I get are around 80g for half which I think is like 130 calories.

This is about what mine works out to be as well. You don't have to eat a whole one, just eat half. :wink:
    I have mine for lunch with a salmon fillet and salad. Keeps me full for hours.