Tried running, it hurts

Options
I tried something new for cardio this week. It was supposed to be intervals of 1 minute each walking, jogging, and sprinting on the treadmill. Until now, which has been 6 months, I've only used the arc trainer or walked briskly on an incline on the treadmill. I only do 10-20 min cardio then do my lifting.

I only got to the third sprint and my knee started hurting, to the point I was limping by the time I slowed it down. The next day both knees hurt. The day after I was ok. My shins also felt it during the run and had some residual soreness. Other than the pain I liked the feel of running and it was not as boring because I changed up every 60 sec..

My question is, is this normal 1st time running, doing high impact soreness, or is it more likely I have bad knees and should avoid high impact activities and running. I'm afraid if I do it again and hurt my knees I won't be able to squat or lift for a while.

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Even toddlers walk before they run. Try walking/jogging first. Leave sprinting until you can run a good 10 min without being out of breath. Also if you are new to running, don't put an incline on the treadmill. Like any other exercise, concentrate first on your form - speed will come with time.

Make sure you have the appropriate shoes for running - by that I mean go to a specialty store and get your shoes and gait analyzed.

Running can be a blast, on the treadmill or outside - just take your time.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Check out a couch to 5k program. You walk and jog until you can eventually run an entire 5k. You can get the program on a podcast, or on an app on your phone (such as runkeeper) or you can see the program on cool running (just google "cool running couch to 5k). This will build up your endurance at a healthy pace.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I agree...walk before you run. The initial interval program I used was a 15 second/45 second split. I ran all out for the 15 seconds....then walked. Did that for only 15 mins max then walked at medium intensity for 10 mins.

The next step up was 30 seconds all out--but I think I stayed at 45 seconds in my recovery.

Annnnd now I've wandered off topic--my point is, don't go too hard too fast, like another poster said--walk before you run.

Also you may get more benefit if you do weights before cardio.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I tried something new for cardio this week. It was supposed to be intervals of 1 minute each walking, jogging, and sprinting on the treadmill. Until now, which has been 6 months, I've only used the arc trainer or walked briskly on an incline on the treadmill. I only do 10-20 min cardio then do my lifting.

I only got to the third sprint and my knee started hurting, to the point I was limping by the time I slowed it down. The next day both knees hurt. The day after I was ok. My shins also felt it during the run and had some residual soreness. Other than the pain I liked the feel of running and it was not as boring because I changed up every 60 sec..

My question is, is this normal 1st time running, doing high impact soreness, or is it more likely I have bad knees and should avoid high impact activities and running. I'm afraid if I do it again and hurt my knees I won't be able to squat or lift for a while.

Your knees hurting is not normal even for a beginner. Not everyone feels that. Not everyone who runs will need knee replacement. I ran for twenty years, one of my hips started hurting, and I ran anyway. Now I am scheduled for total hip replacement this month. Not fun. But my knees are fine. My doctor suggested no more high impact activities.
    However it is a lifestyle choice. My doctor also mentioned for example some young athletes wear out their knees, get them replaced, and keep on running, with the knowledge they are going to need surgery again down the line, because of the continued high impact activity. I don't know any statistics on it I just think for you, with your knees hurting the day after like that, I suggest you see your doctor and get them checked out, that way you can make an informed choice.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Form is a major consideration here ... foot strike, stride length, hip/leg alignment, etc. A stride/gate analysis at a running store or just somebody watching you run at the gym might reveal some flaws that are easily corrected. That coupled with the right footwear to absorb and distribute the forces in play can make a huge difference.

Sprinting right off the bat might be a bit ambitious.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I actually did do this after my weights, I go back and forth. My endurance heart and breathing wise is good, it's these particular muscles and joints that are the problem. I'll try slowing it down with walking and jogging first. Then adding in a little running, and increase a little at a time. Thanks all!
  • silverdawnhawk
    silverdawnhawk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ditto on what others are saying. C25k program's are great to start with. And I'd leave of the sprints until you are a bit more conditioned to the walk/jog intervals. I use the zombies run c25k which is a bit modified from the normal c25k... and has a slightly morbid sense of humour.

One other thing I'd suggest is when you jog... at least to start I did not go full out. I followed the "you should be able to hold a conversation" rule (or in the case of ZR - you should be able to laugh with no warning rule!) without having to stop. I've found that my pace and endurance have just naturally increased as I've gone without having to put undo strain (I have bad knees and a SI joint dysfunction in my back).
  • Sarahliquid
    Options
    Ill do that, thanks!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Just a case of too much too soon. Sounds like a bit less and build it up will work better.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I've always HATED running, but I have a treadmill so when I first started trying to lose weight I figured I would just walk. As I did it more regularly, I started walking faster and faster and finally got to the point that I didn't feel like I was getting any sort of work out while walking anymore. I reluctantly started jogging for a minute or two in between walking intervals. Then reached a point where that wasn't really winding me anymore, and now I have worked my way up to jogging/running for pretty much most of the time. I still go slow, but I'm going! I think if I had just started out with running from the first day, it would have been too hard and I would have just quit, but building up really slowly has actually worked out well for me. :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Your knees shouldn't hurt. Must be your form. Being winded after sprinting is pretty normal, though.
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Shoes are so important - having the appropriate running shoes should greatly help, and I think starting with slow jogs while walking would help. Don't try to do too much too fast and don't try too fast of a pace. Your legs will gradually adapt and get used to it.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    This is probably just an echo of what has already been said, but ease yourself into it if it's something you really want to do. If you don't want to run, don't. There are so many successful losers here who do little cardio, and probably even some who don't do any at all. But, if you're like I was and just want to run, start out slower. Rest your knees until they feel better, then start with a C25K program or something like it. Follow the program as it is and don't skip days as it's designed to work you up without injuring yourself. Running is definitely something your body will need to adapt to. Best of luck to you!
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I can't run 2 minutes on a treadmill before my knees give out. I can run 45-50 minutes without stopping outside with no pain. Something about the way my feet hit the treadmill makes my knees very, very unhappy. I would go outside (if you can!)
  • Sarahliquid
    Options
    It may be form since I never run, I font really know how. My daughter said you run on the balls of your feet more. I'll have to do dome research and watch videos too. Thank you all.
  • rmcolorado
    Options
    put your hand on your knee while sitting, lift it up and strengthen it out. If you feel a grinding feeling as you do it, I would suggest you talk to a doc before you start running. That is the cartilage in your knee breaking up. It cousins the joint to keep your bones from ribbing together. I pushed it and more at 30 can hear every step I take when walking up or down stairs. Running can be very hard on your joints. Start off slow and please see a doc if you notice the grinding feeling. You might just do irreversible damage if you don't.
  • Sarahliquid
    Options
    put your hand on your knee while sitting, lift it up and strengthen it out. If you feel a grinding feeling as you do it, I would suggest you talk to a doc before you start running. That is the cartilage in your knee breaking up. It cousins the joint to keep your bones from ribbing together. I pushed it and more at 30 can hear every step I take when walking up or down stairs. Running can be very hard on your joints. Start off slow and please see a doc if you notice the grinding feeling. You might just do irreversible damage if you don't.

Good advice, I'll do that. I know bad knees run in my family, but they were also athletes their whole lives. Mine have barely been used :ohwell:
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Are you a heel-striker? Striking with your heels is very hard on your knees.

Do you have well-cushioned shoes? Shoes make a lot of difference in running performance. It's important for foot, toenail and joint health to make sure your shoes are properly cushioned and that they fit really, really well.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    If I had to guess, I'd say while form MAY be a factor, it would be the sprinting. Going too fast before your body is ready (not cardiovascular health, but muscle wise) is a sure fire way to get some knee/shin pain. That's one of the things that actually helped me know that I needed to slow down when I came back from taking a few months off and having surgery after my marathon (non running related).

I wanted to just get back to my normal pace and such, and my body just wasn't ready for the speed (even though I'm not fast to begin with) I wanted to go.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It may be form since I never run, I font really know how. My daughter said you run on the balls of your feet more. I'll have to do dome research and watch videos too. Thank you all.

there are several different strategies that you can use, but the main principle in all of them is to avoid over-reaching and stay light on the feet, so leading to a short pace length.

It's not out of the question that you're pushing your front foot too far forward.

I'd agree with the point upthread about using a planned programme, rather than cuffing it. The key to improving performance is to get the miles under your feet, then work on speed. All those who recommend HIIT only aren't getting the improvements that a balanced plan will give; long slow, tempo and interval.

Personally I find treadmill running horribly dull though, so the prospect of working up to even a short 30 minute run on one of those wouldn't inspire me. If you can get outside to use a programme then do it. Once you can run 30 minutes continuous you've got a base to build speedwork onto.