Juicing - Drink the "Foam"?

Options
I know juicing is not everyone's cup of tea, however I personally have a difficult time eating as many raw veggies as I would like & am trying it out as a small part of my overall eating plan.

I used a Vitamix to make some juices & after they settled they had a layer of pulp / foam on top (some recipes far more than others). I know this is normal, but wasn't sure if I ought to drink that part? The texture of some of the foamier juices really grosses me out, however if I lose a ton of nutrients by scraping & dumping the foam then I will just find other recipes to use!

Replies

• PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I hate that stuff..it looks and feels gross in my mouth lol
    But when a juicer or blender spins at high-speed, it captures more air that mixes with the juice, causing the juice to be “fluffed” and “frothy”.
    So pretty much they are just collected air bubbles. You can drink it or not. Doesn't have any effect to your body if you do.
  • k_sinc
    k_sinc Posts: 39
    Options
    Give it a good stir with a spoon and drink it all :)

The separation in some juices freaks me out too haha.

Orrrrr I pour it into a shaker cup with a few cubes of ice and just give it a shake up before each mouthful :)
  • tanyatabone9
    tanyatabone9 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good tip k_sinc, I drink it but don't like it much, I think a good shake is called for.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    It is much better to consume the whole fruit or veggie than to separate out the important fiber. So, drinking the foam of a smoothie is preferred and definitely juice smoothies made in a blender versus filtered drinks made from a juicer.

That being the case, I still refuse to eat a whole lemon. Juice and zest yest. Whole lemon -- my mouth puckers just thinking about it!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Chug it all down baby :D
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The foam does not have a ton of nutrients.
    If it grosses you out, toss it.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If the foam and fiber grosses you out, you can run it through a nut milk bag to filter it out. I just shake or stir it in....mainly because I chose to use the vitamix instead of my juicer and that is what you get with vitamix...a smoothie :) I have also put them into my mason jars and just shaken the heck out of them to mix them back together! This way, no waste! LOVE the vitamix.