vaction

klhawk97
klhawk97 Posts: 6
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I'll be going on a mini vacation this weekend and was wondering how I should go about all this. I've on been working at this for about 3 weeks now, and I know I'm not THAT dedicated yet. (Working on that still!) There is a small gym at the hotel, but I don't know if I will bother with it. I know that I'm going to be eating out and more than likely have a few beers here and there. I have noticed that I get that fuller feeling sooner, and I stop eating. SO proud of that!! But should I bother putting anything in my diaries while I'm gone? Or wait till I get home and get back on my regular routine to start again? Some say you should have a day of rest for exercise, is a week asking too much??

Replies

• My own experience, limited though it is, is that if you take a few days off, it's that much harder to get back into the groove. On vacation, do different exercises - you don't have to use the hotel gym, but maybe take the opportunity to swim, and do a lot more walking than normal.

But definitely keep up your diaries - you'll be able to see where you've stumbled (or deliberately chose to go over daily limits), and you won't get out of the habit. When you get back, you'll just be able to continue on with a more accurate view of where you are :) Good luck!! And have a super vacay :)
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    If you want to stay on track, keep tracking. I'm leaving for Cancun in the morning and though I won't be accessing the website, I will be exercising and being mindful of my choices. I'll be consuming more alcoholic beverages than usual so I have to be mindful of this. If you know you won't be exercising, really think about the choices you make. I know vacation should mean a vacation from everything (even the stresses of weight loss) but if you want to be successful your lifestyle has to be consistent everyday of your life, even on vacation.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    I am away often so on most trips I keep up my food diary. There were two weekends where I was on the wild west coast, and knew there was no tracking. The first weekend I failed miserably because I was off the grid and used the excuse to eat anything. Gained weight. Second weekend: I used it as an oppurtunity to do a trial run of what maintenance would be like. I mindfully ate. I chose what meal I would like to eat more at and I ate less throughout the day. I chose healthier foods and didn't waste calories on mindless eating. I went for walks. I didn't lose, but I didn't gain.
    What ever you do, make a plan ahead of time. One real bad week can easily undo 3 weeks of hard work.
    Enjoy your vacation. Enjoy the sun, enjoy the sights, enjoy the company, enjoy the location.
  • You both are correct, and thank you. I told you I wasn't all that dedicated, YET, still trying. I know I will be doing a lot of walking, so maybe I will try a little harder with the food intake. I don't want to undo what little I have done so far, and I really want to get back into it again when I get home. So if the app and I can get along, I will continue doing my diary. If not, I can always write it all down so at least I see what's going on..
    Foxxy, enjoy your vacation! Sounds more fun than Dallas! (work for hubby...Cowboys shopping for me!!)
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Not trying to sound mean but are you trying to give yourself permission to cheat? It's not a diet its a lifestyle. If you really want it you will stick with it. Sure we all have days where we will eat or drink something that we shouldn't but its all about moderation.
    Even when you eat out the places you go will have some good choices. In the evening when your back at the hotel relaxing go to the gym and just walk for 30 minutes. Its not that much. OR go swimming in the pool. That still counts as exercise. You will probably walk a lot on vacation so that counts. Just stick with it so you don't regret your choices later.
  • gnr.....you are not being mean. I think I originated this post just for that reason, pep talk kind of thing. Because I haven't been doing this for enough time to get me into the right frame of mind, I wasn't sure how I wanted to go about it all. This 6 day trip came up unexpected, I have another 10 day trip next month which I was preparing for, so I guess this will be more or less a pop quiz kind of thing. I know there will be a lot of walking going on, and I had planned on doing crunches in the room before leaving for the day. I guess I'm just worried about the food part, and what it will look like once entered. This morning's weigh in was a big downer, so I guess I was feeling a little sorry for myself, and yeah, maybe giving myself an excuse to be bad. Thanks for "yelling at me"! :laugh:
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Next weekend I'm headed to S Florida for 4 days and I'm already pre-planning. I was on a strict routine last year and headed to Fl for a month and took a "week" off then never went back to working. I won't do this again. I'm going to log everything I eat and still try to make good choices - knowing that I can at LEAST maintain with the right choices if not lose. A couple of questionable meals over the time won't kill me but I know I can at least eat healthy 2 of the three. :D HAVE FUN!!!!
This discussion has been closed.