Get fit on the cheap- suggestions?

Options
Hi all!
Life has changed and I find that I cannot afford to go to the gym, which is too bad because I was getting into NRL4W.
I've moved to a smaller place, and will be making much less money.

Bonus: miles and miles of forested trails right outside my back door, for hiking, snowshoeing, skiing, and once the damn snow melts (getting 24 inches as I write), trail running and all that.

However… I know that all cardio isn't the way.

We really don't have a place for a weight set or any machines. Times are lean so there isn't a whole lot I can afford at the moment.
So- anyone else doing things for free, for cheap?
Anyone else get totally fit just playing around in the woods?
Any suggestions of other things I can do? Just curious.

Replies

• Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I use Daily Burn at home. It's got a good variety of workouts and excellent trainers. First month is free so you can always try that!
  • Bobs123456
    Options
    Google weight free wprkouts. I have a small book called mens health weight free workout. You can find exercises on the web and videos. There is alot you can do.

Squats on one leg with out weights.
    Speed skater for cardio. Google it.
    Planks,side planks and variations.
    Many types of pushups.
    Google pilates. The core is insame.
    Yoga. Lots of videos on that.
    Run in place. Get down on hanfds. Do pushups. Get up. Run in place.

It will be some wprk, but you can find a plan online and through youtube.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercise such as "You are your own gym". There is a phone app for it and it is really easy to follow. I use it when I'm travelling and can't get to a gym.
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Hey there - As mentioned, youtube has a lot to offer. Also, look up body weight exercises. No fancy equipment required. :)
  • stephanniehall
    stephanniehall Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like Sworkit! Not sure if you have a phone that you can download it on but it's free or $1 for the souped-up version. I like all it has to offer. Yoga, strength, cardio, stretching.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    chop wood, carry it in, shovel snow, mow lawn are all good!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    This gal has some pretty amazing work outs: http://www.zuzkalight.com/
    All free. She also has some older videos on Youtube. I am doing New Rules to get strong enough to do her workouts, lol!
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    Climb trees. Use the branches for chin ups, etc. Carry broken branches around. Lots of weight bearing exercises to be had near trees
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Bonus: miles and miles of forested trails right outside my back door, for hiking, snowshoeing, skiing, and once the damn snow melts (getting 24 inches as I write), trail running and all that.

I'm jealous!

A friend of mine has a TRX set that she puts up over tree branches in the forest. It might be out of your budget, but it's bulky.
  • CatBird128
    CatBird128 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I spent a ton of money on a new gym and having a trainer assess me and her most fervent advice was for me to hit the floor and do pushups, sit ups, lunges, squats and all of those sorts of exercises. I hated it because I really wanted to use the machines and weights at the gym. But in the end I eventually dropped the gym, and I run stairs in my house, do floor work during commercials in front of the TV, and I can space out the pushups into a few reps here and there through the day. It's cheap but you have to be disciplined enough to actually do it.
  • CiCi924
    CiCi924 Posts: 34
    Options
    Daily Burnnnn! I've done 10 days of it and love it! You get a 30 day free trial and can cancel at any time if you don't like it. And if you do, It's only $10/mo for the basic package, more if you use their meal tracker, which I don't cuz I'm on here.

Also, I'm in Rochester NY, so I'm getting a ton of snow too, it's been crazy!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    get one of those perfect pull up bars..they are like 20.00 and you can do pull ups and chin ups along with the cardio and other body weight exercises...
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I actually love THE FIRM DVD series & free hand weights & a step.

If you have Apple TV ($99) you can play you tube right on tv.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Go Rocky style and train with wood.
  • cheepbeer
    cheepbeer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A couple years ago I started carrying wood to the house from the woods about 350 yards out. It was a sloppy winter and I was walkin anyway so I'd make 10 trips a day. It turned out to be about two miles with half the trip being loaded with anywhere from 20 to50 lbs. of wood. It was a days heat and wonderful exercise.
    Guess you could say that wood kept me warm twice.
  • Exotl
    Exotl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    All I do is Jillian Michaels' Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. No equipment, no weights, no gym. 9.99 on itunes. I used to run on the weekends but I busted my foot so now I do BFBM every day. I'm pretty happy with it.
  • 2messy4life
    Options
    Search FitnessBlender or try Insanity
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Bodyweight exercise such as "You are your own gym". There is a phone app for it and it is really easy to follow. I use it when I'm travelling and can't get to a gym.

^ I was going to say this too. It's a great book and it lets you design your own workout.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym, FitnessBlender.com, Nike Training Club app, borrow workout DVDs from the library....

Check Craigslist or thrift stores for cheap dumbbells or other equipment.

And take advantage of those trails!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

This. I have heard convict conditioning is awesome too. Fitness Blender on Youtube.

If you want to splurge once you can look into a system like TRX. They have cheaper versions of it I have heard good things about and that can give you a great full body workout.