Loving this new book!!

Options
UncleMac
UncleMac Posts: 12,929 Member
The Diet Fix (Why Diets Fail and How to Make Yours Work) by Dr. Yodi Freedhoff

http://www.amazon.com/The-Diet-Fix-Diets-Yours/dp/0804137579

http://www.thesocial.ca/wellness/health/dr-yoni-freedhoffs-weight-loss-words-to-live-by

Dr. Freedhoff operates the Bariatric Medical Institute in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada where he helps patients lose weight through non-surgical and non-medicinal means. If you watch the video, he speaks about his philosophy. Needless to say, he expands on these themes greatly in his book.

Full disclosure: I was a patient at the BMI for a year during which I lost 35 lbs, a loss which I have since maintained for more than a year. Going forward, I would like to lose another 35 lbs. As a comfort food junkie, trying to lose weight during an acrimonious divorce isn't happening. Once I'm truly free, I expect my weight loss will resume… and if it does not, I'm still healthier and happier than I was before.

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Seems interesting and echoes many themes that are repeated here. These bullet points are from the link. I don't agree with every point ( sometimes I think hunger can spur clearer thinking, and you can learn to be happy eating less and exercising more) but it seems like very good advice to me:

- If you can’t happily eat any less, you’re not going to eat any less.
    - If you can’t happily exercise any more, you’re not going to exercise more.
    - If you don’t like the life you’re living, you’re not going to keep living that way.
    - If you accept your personal best at everything else in life, why not weight?
    - If you can’t use food for both comfort and celebration, then you’re on a diet that ultimately you’re going to quit.
    - Simply tolerating your life isn't good enough.
    - There are some things in your life affecting your weight that you’re not going to be able to change.
    - Your best weight is whatever weight you reach when you’re living the healthiest life you actually enjoy.
    - The more weight you’d like to permanently lose, the more of your life you’ll need to permanently change.
    - Reality isn’t reality television, and it most certainly does include chocolate.
    - You can’t be thoughtful and hungry at the same time.
    - I’m certainly not perfect every day in every way; why do you think you should be?
    - Weight management isn’t gymnastics. It’s not about sticking your landing each and every day.
    - Your job in life is to do your best and to respect the fact that your best varies.
    - It’s far easier to lose weight in a kitchen with a pen than in a gym with a barbell.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The book echoes those themes and more. When I started at the clinic, I felt self-conscious on several levels. Although I tried to fool myself into believing I carried 283 lbs well for a guy who is 5'10", I was aware that I was obese. At the clinic, I was just another guy who was working to improve himself. Asking for help was never easy for me. At the clinic, we were all in the same boat. The atmosphere was positive and upbeat.

Dr. Freedhoff was engaging and encouraging. Reading his book is like meeting with him. That's a good thing. :)

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/food-matters/2014/03/03/book-review-the-diet-fix-why-diets-fail-and-how-to-make-yours-work/

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17737058-the-diet-fix

http://www.amazon.com/The-Diet-Fix-Diets-Yours/dp/0804137579
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear your firsthand experience with Dr. Freedhoff. I am reading his book now and have followed his blog for a while. I just love the "tone" of his writing. He seems straightforward, but compassionate and caring. To hear that he is like that in real life is great. The basic content of his book is nothing new, but the way he explains the reasoning behind everything and his encouraging tone are new. It is helping me to change my thinking and my attitude/approach to certain habits such as keeping a food diary.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Glad to hear your firsthand experience with Dr. Freedhoff. I am reading his book now and have followed his blog for a while. I just love the "tone" of his writing. He seems straightforward, but compassionate and caring. To hear that he is like that in real life is great. The basic content of his book is nothing new, but the way he explains the reasoning behind everything and his encouraging tone are new. It is helping me to change my thinking and my attitude/approach to certain habits such as keeping a food diary.
    I'm still keeping a food diary and when I brought my copy of his book in for autograph, Dr. Freedhoff took the time to chat with me about my progress, personal life, etc... Compassionate and caring in spades!!
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    That sounds like an awesome experience, being able to work with him, and to reconnect with him.

I am going to look at the links you provided and look into the book.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Really good advice.
    Seems interesting and echoes many themes that are repeated here. These bullet points are from the link. I don't agree with every point ( sometimes I think hunger can spur clearer thinking, and you can learn to be happy eating less and exercising more) but it seems like very good advice to me:

- If you can’t happily eat any less, you’re not going to eat any less.
    - If you can’t happily exercise any more, you’re not going to exercise more.
    - If you don’t like the life you’re living, you’re not going to keep living that way.
    - If you accept your personal best at everything else in life, why not weight?
    - If you can’t use food for both comfort and celebration, then you’re on a diet that ultimately you’re going to quit.
    - Simply tolerating your life isn't good enough.
    - There are some things in your life affecting your weight that you’re not going to be able to change.
    - Your best weight is whatever weight you reach when you’re living the healthiest life you actually enjoy.
    - The more weight you’d like to permanently lose, the more of your life you’ll need to permanently change.
    - Reality isn’t reality television, and it most certainly does include chocolate.
    - You can’t be thoughtful and hungry at the same time.
    - I’m certainly not perfect every day in every way; why do you think you should be?
    - Weight management isn’t gymnastics. It’s not about sticking your landing each and every day.
    - Your job in life is to do your best and to respect the fact that your best varies.
    - It’s far easier to lose weight in a kitchen with a pen than in a gym with a barbell.