Peanut Butter

Options
What's the best peanut butter or substitute. I specifically like it on celery or rice cakes but hate how many calories is in it. I want a good for you low cal snack like celery but is so boring plain.

Replies

• mmb_425
    mmb_425 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a product called PB2? It's powdered peanut butter-- they've taken most of the FAT out of it. You mix it with water. It's pretty good. You can get it at General Nutrition Centers, possibly other places too.
  • bekka0404
    Options
    I'll look for that and give it a try. Powder peanut butter doesn't sound so yummy but at least worth a try . Ty ty
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I use PB2 when I want peanut butter, but don't have extra calories to spare. Some people love it. Some people hate it. You'll have to try it for yourself to see if you like it, but it's worth a try.
  • ghostsnstuff
    ghostsnstuff Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ah, peanut butter... I used to love the Kraft one when I was 11-12, now I eat one made out of just plain peanuts and salt. Kraft tastes like **** now.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I tend to need to eat more calories in a day and specifically more fat... so I just have regular no sugar, no salt natural peanut butter from the bulk section at a grocery store 'round these parts. my roommate has chocolate PB2 though so I tried that once. it was alright.
  • lilli64
    lilli64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is another one called Just Great Stuff powdered 100% natural, organic peanut butter. You mix it with water. DOes not taste as peanutty as far as I'm concerned but I can't afford all the extra calories . Can't speak for PB2 but it works the same way.
  • RichS6150
    RichS6150 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but skip the substitutes. Use real peanut butter.

I use peanut butter on toasted whole wheat bread as a snack almost daily; it holds me fine for about 2 hours. One TBSP of peanut butter has only about 100 calories. I buy Sprouts whole wheat bread; it has great flavor. One slice has 60 calores. So together, they are about 160 calorie per snack. I like the Adams natural peant butters. They are lower (or absent) in salt but they have a geat taste. It took a little adjusting to the lack of salt and real peanut flavor, but now I can't eat things like Jiffy and Skippy.
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Roasted unsalted peanuts, pinch of sea salt. Throw both into a food processor for a couple of minutes. Delicious. Smuckers natural is pretty good. You can make your own at wholefoods as well.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I go with 4 tbsps of extra crunchy jif every day.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I've been known to plan my day out specifically so I can eat a couple tbsp. of peanut butter, I can't imagine substituting! It only has about 100 calories per tbsp., which is not really that bad. Can't say I enjoyed the PB2 as much, and most other nut butters will have pretty similar calorie counts. Honestly, there isn't a great substitute that tastes the same. Just stick with the real thing in moderation :)
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I go with 4 tbsps of extra crunchy jif every day.

^this. I do the same :)
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can not substitute peanut butter. I tried it for a month with Trader Joe's "Better Than Peanut Butter", but it wasn't. I finished the jar, and went back to regular peanut butter.... I just use a little less. It's great protein.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    PB2 for the WIN!!:drinker:
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    There is NO substitute for the REAL thing!!!
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Skippy, can't change. PB2 is okay if I want a peanut butter smoothie but other than that I need the real thing! I just watch the amount.
  • kittyswing
    kittyswing Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know there are so many things out there to substitute for this, substitute for that... and they're usually fewer calories, it's true, but at what cost? I mean... peanut butter shouldn't be a powder. What processes did it have to go through to get there?

Eat good food that's real. Just watch portions like crazy.
  • Missabled
    Missabled Posts: 24
    Options
    I use Betty Lou's Just great stuff...like with "PB2, they press out most of the fats an oils from roasted peanuts, leaving just the pulverized peanuts....BUT for the health conscious, "Just great stuff" uses coconut sugar and sea salt, PB2 uses regular sugar and salt...read the ingredients.

Powdered peanut butter took some getting used too, but not for taste, more for texture....it is not as creamy as the brands that have all that smooth gooey stuff added.

BUT.....It tastes great
    It can be used in many ways and mixed to any consistency
    It uses organic ingredients and coconut sugar (unlike PB2)
    HOWEVER.... its nutritional stats aren’t quite as good (1 more gram sugar, 1 less gram fiber and protein), and its a bit more expensive than PB2

but better for you than regular peanut butter, and even PB2...In My Humble Opinion....
    ^^^ NOT looking for a debate here...as I said....IN MY OPINION....
  • antjoanes
    antjoanes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK I get Meridian organic peanut butter (no palm oil, only ingredient is peanuts), its awesome stuff. You just have to remember to use it to supplement your good fats and don't use it as a main protein source. Its quite high in calories but as long as you fit it in with your macro's its all good.

100g is around 600kcals!
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Peter Pan Reduced Fat Creamy... Oh My Word! :) 100 cals per tbsp. Makes me happy.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Any regular brand works for me. No PB2, no reduced fat junk...PEANUT BUTTER. Plain old creamy, buttery peanut butter. Haven't found a brand I dislike yet. :)