recommend me one exercise machine

Options
cardio is okay, strength is okay.
no gym membership.
prefer machines vs free weights, etc.
can only afford one piece. not sure of budget but nothing too extreme.

Replies

• JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Bowflex
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    You're body.....it's free!
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking about getting a Total Gym. It seems like 1 machine to do all the workouts. I would like to hear the other responses as well.
  • laurensgettingfit
    laurensgettingfit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just bought a TRX suspension trainer - my PT recommended it highly to me, should arrive tomorrow I can't wait to try it!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If I was going to buy just one machine it would be an indoor rower (specifically Concept2 - the gold standard of rowing machines) if you can't afford a new one (they're not cheap) look for a used one. Excellent cardio & a full body workout.
  • claytontraviswalker
    Options
    I recommend the Weider Ultimate BodyWorks . It's just like a total gym, In my opinion nicer. You can strength train , and get in your cardio by switching from one exercise to another so rapidly. And it's so affordable , You can do a lot on that thing for right at $150 Check out walmart online if they don't have it at your local Walmart. Good Luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine, as it gives you a combination of CV and resistance with a whole body effect. Agre that Concept are very good, personally I have a WaterRower, with a similar level of quality
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Your legs. Put one foot in front of the other and repeat as necessary.
  • Be4stm0de
    Be4stm0de Posts: 103
    Options
    I recommend you use that money and get a gym membership
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options

prefer machines vs free weights

you'll get over it

squat rack

and since I'm in a generous mood, I'll offer a second piece of equipment: proper running shoes
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You're body.....it's free!

X2
    Your body is all the equipment you need. But a pull up bar wouldn't hurt.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Yep - pull-up bar and, if you can't do many pull-ups yet, a couple of resistance bands to use to help you up there. Your own body will be fine for the rest.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    power cage.

can do all the things including pull ups.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Barbell.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    While you may prefer machines over free weights, you're going to get the most bang for your buck out of a barbell and some plates. Optional items would be a rack and a bench.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    While you may prefer machines over free weights, you're going to get the most bang for your buck out of a barbell and some plates. Optional items would be a rack and a bench.

I agree with this, and the other person that suggested using a gym if it's an option for you. I would use a gym if I could.

As it is, I use my bodyweight, a bench, and Weider adjustable dumbbells to get my strength training in. It meets my needs right now.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    If I could afford one piece of equipment, it would be a squat rack. 100%
  • LaurelViewig
    LaurelViewig Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been using DDP yoga DVDs. You only use yourself and a yoga mat. By utilizing Dynamic Resistence, you can create the workout of free weights, without having the euiqpment. I love it. You can make as hardcore or easy as needed. I wear a wristband heartrate monitor and can get my heartrate into the fatburning zone literally standing there fleing my muscles and doing the moves!

www.ddpyoga.com
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    The road/park/trail/path. It is completely free in most areas too.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking about getting a Total Gym. It seems like 1 machine to do all the workouts. I would like to hear the other responses as well.
    It took me all of about 4 months to outgrow the Total Gym. I was 40 years old, and in piss poor shape. It wasn't long before I really hit the limits of where that machine could take me.

I thought because you could buy a bar and add weights it would be nice, but you can't put more than 5 lb plates on it because the plates will hit the ground.

Since it's based on angled body weight, there are many exercises where the steep angle became downright dangerous to get the resistance I needed.

It was a great building block to help me get going until I found a good gym to join. But honestly, a pull-up bar, a bicycle, and a resistance band would have been cheaper and more effective.