post exercise hunger

Options
I walked for 25 minutes for the first time today...had a protein shake before, to try to ward off the crazy hunger I felt after exertion. After, I was hungry so I made myself a protein smoothie and then promptly pased out for an hour.

When I woke, I was hungrier than before. I had my lean cuisine dinner and a couple cups of water. An hour later, I had my last snack of the night, popcorn, because I ws still hungry. I still am, but im going to go to bed, instead. I had all my calories today already.

Is this normal? Im almost scared to exercise unless I have some kind of sixhour feeding plan ahead of time, or ill blow it.

How do you guys handle it?

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I didn't see one thing that you ate with a significant load of micro-nutrients. Perhaps your hunger signal is still present because you are needing something that you are not getting in your diet.

The only foods with a significant load if micro-nutrients are fresh raw fruits and veggies. Maybe try switching out one of your protein smoothies for a "green smoothie".

Also, it should be expected that you will be hungry after exercising. That's normal.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I generally avoid this by not eating before exercising, then stuffing my face after, but to each his/her own. Many people hate exercise on an empty stomach. Since you said this was your first time walking this much, perhaps you should consider exercising from a fasted state first, then seeing how that goes? Also, you should be eating more on the days you exercise. You're burning more calories, so eat more.
  • bethanycopley1980
    bethanycopley1980 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I generally avoid this by not eating before exercising, then stuffing my face after, but to each his/her own. Many people hate exercise on an empty stomach. Since you said this was your first time walking this much, perhaps you should consider exercising from a fasted state first, then seeing how that goes? Also, you should be eating more on the days you exercise. You're burning more calories, so eat more.

I only burned 170 calories and ate almost half of it back..I didnt think it would effect it much.
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It did effect. It is better to walk and eat rather than eat and doing nothing at all.
  • carabelladonna
    carabelladonna Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're new to exercise. Your body may just be surprised (stressed) by this and need some time to adjust. Plus the more you exercise, the more fit/efficient you become (and burn less calories) so if you keep walking, soon walking those 25 minutes may not even register as effort.
  • stephbeland8
    stephbeland8 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to drink a lot of water up to an hour before exercising. Your muscles will need it! And water during and water after, and water all the time! :)

Keep it up! You can do this!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat at least an hour before exercise. I think my body is fighting for energy between digestion and my muscles. Unless it is a short walk 15 minutes or less, I don't want to be digesting while exercising.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Howdy, neighbor! I am in Pullman! :happy: I think you are eating too few calories for your current weight. You will still lose at 1800-2000 range. As you get smaller, you can drop your calories. You are doing great with your protein, so refreshing to see! :drinker: But you may need to incorporate more complex foods to your diet, this will slow down your digestion and keep you feeling full longer. Look for Dave's Killer Bread. Each style is chock full of whole seeds, which are slow to digest. I eat at least one slice with peanut butter each morning after my workout. It has staying power. You can find it in Costco, Safeway, Walmart. It's a regional bread, I feel lucky to live in the right region! Ha-ha!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Stop. Thinking. About. Food. And all should be ok.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yes it is very normal to be very hungry after working out. I am a runner and I get crazy hungry after runs and sometimes the day after too! I will eat when I am hungry bc I believe it is my metabolism going crazy and needing fuel.
  • bethanycopley1980
    Options
    Actually, before I started dieting, i didn't think about food as much. i just ate. Now I obsess over it, wondering if Im messing up, daydreaming, checking the time to see then I can eat again, etc.

It's hard to just stop thinking about it.

Try not thinking about cigarettes when you are trying to quit. Its harder than it sounds.

As for PULLMAN....PNW represent!!! <3
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If I know I have had enough to eat and I`m feel in hungry I`ll drink some coffee - that always takes the edge off for me
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would suggest fewer liquid calories and more solid calories. For me I could drink 4k cal in a smoothie and I will be starving 15min later. Add all the peanut butter, or protein powder or anything else. There is just something psychological about drinking the cal's, it just doesn't satisfy me.
  • bethanycopley1980
    Options
    I would suggest fewer liquid calories and more solid calories. For me I could drink 4k cal in a smoothie and I will be starving 15min later. Add all the peanut butter, or protein powder or anything else. There is just something psychological about drinking the cal's, it just doesn't satisfy me.
    [/quote

That could be it...I added a banana in the smoothie today and it got me through a little longer but I havent exercised yet. I think im going to try exercising early in the morning. then if Im super hungry later, at lunch, I can just add more veggies and protein to my meal and see what happens instead o going into panic mode because im suddenly out of calories and starving lol