My first 5K!

akrae
akrae Posts: 18
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm running my first race, a 5K on October 16! I'm so excited, but a little nervous too. I've been training with a program from RunnersWorld.com (similar to C25K) for 8 weeks. I've been running on the treadmill, and have gradually been increasing my speed and incline weekly.

Right now I'm at the point where I can run the full 3.1 miles all the way through at about 11:20 min/mile.

What should I keep in mind or be aware of for my first race?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    I'd get out and run outside for the next couple weeks. It is a different animal running on the treadmill and actually running outdoors.

Beyond that, I'd just say ENJOY-- it's a wonderful experience.
  • trickyfoxster710
    trickyfoxster710 Posts: 151 Member
    I'm running my first race, a 5K on October 16! I'm so excited, but a little nervous too. I've been training with a program from RunnersWorld.com (similar to C25K) for 8 weeks. I've been running on the treadmill, and have gradually been increasing my speed and incline weekly.

Right now I'm at the point where I can run the full 3.1 miles all the way through at about 11:20 min/mile.

What should I keep in mind or be aware of for my first race?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!
    congrats I am running my first 5k on Oct 16 too! Wishing you the best of luck! I am not quit as fast as you but your doing great!!!
  • LoganScottsMom
    LoganScottsMom Posts: 112 Member
    I second that. Start running outside...its very different (temperatures). Good Luck!
  • trickyfoxster710
    trickyfoxster710 Posts: 151 Member
    I'd get out and run outside for the next couple weeks. It is a different animal running on the treadmill and actually running outdoors.

Beyond that, I'd just say ENJOY-- it's a wonderful experience.
    I agree running outside can change you speed a lot because you are controlling your speed not a machine, could make a different of 3-5 mins/mile. I can do 15min miles now.
  • k_eye
    k_eye Posts: 18
    yeah what she said!
    Cos on the treadmill i was like yay! i can run! then I went outside... O.o no belt to help me along.
    and since there is no adjustable incline it can be harder on the knees. :)

grats to you tho! I am trying to be able to run a 3K at the end of octobre. of course, back injury not helping atm... :(

best of luck!

kat
  • akrae
    I was afraid you would all tell me to start running outside. There's no place near my house and by the time I get off work and get home, it's almost dark. I'll have to figure something out!
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 674 Member
    Personally, I HATE the treadmill and would rather run outside in the 100 degree temps and the 30 degree temps than run on the treadmill. Again, I also suggest you get outside and run. I have really grown to love running. I just started running in January, and have ran 3 5k's and planning on another one Oct 16th. The racing will grow on you. My first race was about 40 min (in April) the second race was 33:02 (June) and my last race a couple weeks ago was 32:58. Each time i run i hit a new PR (personal record). I requested you as a friend also.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    my mom is running her first 5k with me tomorrow. :) i am excited for her.

i love running outside! however, if you can't run outside, extend your treadmill runs by an additional mile. that will prepare you for your run outside.

have fun!
    dawn
  • akrae
    UPDATE: I ran a whole 5K outside this morning and logged one of my best times yet! Looks like the treadmill training is actually just fine for me!
  • Marla64
    UPDATE: I ran a whole 5K outside this morning and logged one of my best times yet! Looks like the treadmill training is actually just fine for me!

Hey-- that's great!!!!

Look out, 5K, here she comes!!!!

Now, just enjoy!!
  • akrae
    My 5K was today and I finished in 30:08!!! Almost a minute under my personal best! I think I might be hooked!
  • Marla64
    great time! Glad you enjoyed-- on to the next one, eh?
  • k_eye
    k_eye Posts: 18
    Gratz! :D
This discussion has been closed.