Brown Rice

Options
luca15306
luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
This may have been asked before, but I get so confused over calorie content in rice! Like the weight etc.
I weigh out 50g dry weight, and cook as described for half an hour then drain and serve with loads of veg and usually chicken or fish.
Are the calories on the pack the weight when you have cooked it, like they assume you cook it to eat it, so the calories seen are as consumed?
I currently use Asda Easy cook brown rice. I had 50g dry weight last night, and this was around 160 calories when cooked. My diary is open to look.
does this sound about right? or do I weigh it again cooked, as obviously it weighs more from absorbing the water... but surely just absorbing water can't add any calories?! So confusing (I'm the same with pasta!)
Also I am in the UK, so any mention of a cup as a measurement throws me out completely, I always use electronic scales in grams!
Any help or input is greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The data on the web site is "as consumed" http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/product/19416 ie cooked but I don't have a pack - it says 231 cals per 200g serving as consumed and above that 75 grams per person so I would say 230 calories per 75 grams weighed dry.

That is consistent with a different rice product http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/product/910000066164 which reports nutrition on a dry basis (uncooked) at 348 cals/100g or 260 per 75g which is near enough. The protein of this would be 6.5g for 75g dry which is close to the 5.8g per serving of the one you have cooked.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    They do like to make the packs complicated.

As a rule of thumb, you can estimate that plain DRY uncooked carbs are about 80cals per 25g / 1oz - that goes for dried pasta, all rice and couscous. You are obviously weighing accurately, but this should help you know whether your maths is about right. And who wants to weight cooked, starchy rice.