Could not resist ...

Options
This site's message board distinguishes it from the rest! I couldn't resist jumping in.

"I can resist everything but temptation."
- Oscar Wilde

Speaking of things I cannot resist ... my sweet tooth really got the better of me today. I was doing great until about 4:20 (just a coincidence), when I left my apartment to go to my night class (I'm a student).

First, I stopped at the cafe across the street, and I ordered a kid-sized cup of gelato split between white chocolate hazelnut swirl and coffee.

Then, I stopped by one of my favorite chocolatiers. I knew what would happen. I purchased 4 truffles: (1) upside-down pineapple cake (not so great); (2) lemon cream in dark chocolate (not as good as others I've had - for instance, Scharffen Berger's lemon truffle); (3) an apple pie truffle (I will definitely get that one again); and my favorite, (4) the peanut butter and jelly truffle (more PB&J to come - yum).

So, yes, I am a bit of a foodie here. Amazingly, I stayed under 2,000 calories today, in spite of all this decadence. (And I haven't even mentioned the 5 pieces of Laffy Taffy yet. Oops. Not very foodie either.)

Lesson learned: When it comes to indulgence, in the future I will try to pick ONE for the day. The gelato OR the truffles. To get both is just greedy - not to mention expensive! (The truffles are $1.50 a piece.)

My questions to other sweet-toothed members:
(1) What indulgence do you allow yourself?
(2) What motivates you to rein it in?

I am very eager to read your thoughts on the topic, should you be kind enough to share them!

Thank you!
YP

Replies

• yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    This site's message board distinguishes it from the rest! I couldn't resist jumping in.

"I can resist everything but temptation."
    - Oscar Wilde

Speaking of things I cannot resist ... my sweet tooth really got the better of me today. I was doing great until about 4:20 (just a coincidence), when I left my apartment to go to my night class (I'm a student).

First, I stopped at the cafe across the street, and I ordered a kid-sized cup of gelato split between white chocolate hazelnut swirl and coffee.

Then, I stopped by one of my favorite chocolatiers. I knew what would happen. I purchased 4 truffles: (1) upside-down pineapple cake (not so great); (2) lemon cream in dark chocolate (not as good as others I've had - for instance, Scharffen Berger's lemon truffle); (3) an apple pie truffle (I will definitely get that one again); and my favorite, (4) the peanut butter and jelly truffle (more PB&J to come - yum).

So, yes, I am a bit of a foodie here. Amazingly, I stayed under 2,000 calories today, in spite of all this decadence. (And I haven't even mentioned the 5 pieces of Laffy Taffy yet. Oops. Not very foodie either.)

Lesson learned: When it comes to indulgence, in the future I will try to pick ONE for the day. The gelato OR the truffles. To get both is just greedy - not to mention expensive! (The truffles are $1.50 a piece.)

My questions to other sweet-toothed members:
    (1) What indulgence do you allow yourself?
    (2) What motivates you to rein it in?

I am very eager to read your thoughts on the topic, should you be kind enough to share them!

Thank you!
    YP
  • commonsensefitness
    commonsensefitness Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I will only take revenge [= indulgence] on my body when I think I have done something I SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE, or sometimes things are so out of ones scope that you have to indulge. I have a honey pot and some wheat bread slices. I make a honey sandwich and eat it with all pleasures and guilt. Frankly, I ate yummy chocolate cake but that was on my 5th Wedding Aniversiary so kind of ok, once a year.

To keep away just remember how much I sweat for each calorie I lost on those cardio machines on the gym. Guess what I dont want to eat after that.

A successful plan is to not to be too ambitious with your weight goals. Also try to low ball your calorie intake. If and ever you hit all your calories, to me it is almost indulgence. I do it once in a while.

CivilShah
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! Love the 4:20 remark on the sweets lol!!!!!!!!!!!! I find if i resist to much i end up going way overboard, so before i indulge on whatever i am craving i drink a big jug of water, then deciede if i still need it, i usually still take it, but it seems to be less, today for example i ate an ice cream cone, usually i would start spooning into the container of ice cream, i find drinking the water makes me conscience of what i am about to do rather than throwing it all to the wind! Ice cream and chocolate are def. indulgences of mine, i fit them into my calories 2 or 3 days a week!!!
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    The first time I heard a well respected nutritionist publically say we should all be eating a few squares of dark chocolate every day, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Thus, what works for me is a few squares of artisan chocolate or dark chocolate-covered blueberries and/or a Trader Joe's lime Fruit Flos popsicle after dinner. Gots to love that chocolate WITH antioxidants. Takes care of that sugar thing and costs nearly nada calorically, especially if I've ridden my bike that day.

I just finished a 100-mile ride over the weekend so I figure I can eat about 3 pounds of chocolate or 100 popsicles to make up the deficit. Yesssssss!!!
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I am so missing Trader Joe's. We haven't one in Texas yet. I would get their dark chocolate with almonds Belgian chocolate bar. Then I would take one square and ask a neighbor to keep the rest of the bar for me (it's big) :-)

Also, a writer reminded me of sugar-free jello. That has been great!!! It's filling, and even with a dollop of that squirt on whipping cream it's not bad in calories or carbs!

Heck, I may even make one of those jello dessert where you layer the different colors! Then I'll really feel special.
  • tekrueger
    tekrueger Posts: 85
    Options
    I eat waffles or pancakes in the morning with jam as my sweet treat. In general, I can get away with eating sweets in the morning, but in the afternoon or evening what goes in seems to make the scale go up the next morning :grumble:
    As for motivation, I am working on it!
    For me, I am trying to exchange coffee, milk and sugar for fruits and trying to stay away from empty calorie foods as much as possible; I just say no.
    Like others have said, a LITTLE bit of chocolate, maybe really good stuff, is great for me, a square or two and it seems to work for me.
    Thomas
  • jesusgrl14
    jesusgrl14 Posts: 250
    Options
    My indulgence is most definitely mexican food. I just CANNOT say no to chips and salsa (now and then I can't avoid the queso either but that one's getting better!). I have to keep tortilla chips on hand and I eat a serving with just about everything. Just have to make sure to log it and keep within my count for the day.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses!

The problem for me is that the serving size on the package does not apply for many foods - I know that for many "trigger foods" - e.g. ice cream, chocolate, desserts - my real (historical) serving size is this: whatever I have in my apartment!

So that keeps me hitting the ice cream parlor or the chocolatier for my fix - unless it's something where the whole package doesn't have that many calories. As jpketz said, those Trader Joe's Fruit Floes are great - the lime ones have only 60 calories a pop, 4 in a box. I used to like the sugar-free jello, but the flavoring started to give me a headache - I find it too chemical.

My solution has always been keeping these foods out of my kitchen. (My first affirmation was "Haagen-Daz is the devil.") As an alternative, I ask my boyfriend to keep my ice cream in his freezer so I can only have some when I visit him. And he works pretty long hours, so I can't just pop over for every craving.

Have any of you overcome old portion control problems and can now keep a large bar of chocolate or a pint of ice cream in the kitchen without polishing it off in a day - or an hour - when that used to be a problem? How did you teach yourself that discipline?

YP