Frustrated...

Options
Anyone ever stick to their calorie goal (or even under a bit) and end up gaining wait? I have been at this a few weeks now, and initially I dropped weight with ever weigh in and it was great. I'm not sure if my body is over the shock or something, but it the scale is now slowly creeping back up. I need to stop looking, because I just get discouraged and end up losing my motivation. I'm stickng with it, but I don't know if I should be doing something different. I'm afraid to eat less b/c I'm nursing...I would work out harder, but I'm a mom of three very small children with little to no time for myself. HELP me please!!! :sad:

Replies

• batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    I have experienced the same thing with the exception of the initial weight loss. Now I have started mixing things up a bit & it is working so for example one week I did a 24 hour fast but from evening meal one day to a generous one the next, then I tried a few veg only days, then the low GI which works for me coupled with eating little & often. My scales are my Yoyo scales: one week they are down the next up then week 3 down more than week 1 so overall there is a loss but it is very slow. There have been many posts about this on here lately so you are not alone. Good luck feel free to add me as a friend for support.
    Another thing I have realised is that possibly the reason I gained in the first place was because I skipped meals & had plenty but rarely so my metabolism had slowed right down.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Last time I lost weight I found I plateau around every 20 pounds (175, 155) and it takes a couple of weeks to move through it. This time I started at 185 so it didn't take long to hit the plateau - but now I've moved through it (took 2 weeks) and am dropping again. KEEP IT UP - IT WILL WORK!!! <3
  • danguzman
    Options
    I can honestly say that I've heard this before. My wife had the same issues. We have 5 kids and after every child she was able to lose the weight pretty easily. However, after this last one it took a lot longer for the results to show. For her the same type of working out had always worked before along with watching her calorie intake, but this time was different. She changed her workout after reading a book, and trying something else out. That seemed to work for her and after she was done nursing progress really sped up.

Hang in there!
  • redhotsmacker
    redhotsmacker Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    By chance are you weighing everyday? I used to weigh everyday and would find that I would get discouraged easily. It is also important to keep your water intake up, this way you flush out any excess sodium you may have consumed. I also find that if I am near my TOM that I will gain a little as well, however, within a few days I am back down again. It is also really important to make sure you are consuming enough food as that could slow your metabolism down quite a bit as well.

As for finding time to workout...I have four children ages 8-14 months...When I put the little ones to bed (around 7:30pm) I change into my workout gear, this way I eliminate any excuse of not being ready. I will usually do a workout video in which my 8 year old will join me (he is funny like that). Never thought that my child would be such a great workout buddy :) Then I will go on the treadmill for about 45 minutes. It seems to work well for me. I have in the past rolled myself out of bed really early in the morning just to be able to complete a workout while the kids are still sleeping.
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the reponses...I have been weighing twice a week, but I think I will stick to once from now on. I am hopeful that it will be easier to find time, but I have a 7 week old who doesn't sleep much (and therefore neither do I)...so working out in the mornings or evenings is not really going to happen yet. I try to do the 30 day shred video during her nap in the morning, but my 2 and 4 year old make that pretty challenging-haha. As for the nursing, I will likely be doing that for a while still (another 10-12 months at least) so I have to find a way to make this work while I'm doing it. I just don't know if I should go even lower with my calories or stick it out for couple more weeks and see what happens.
  • sunflower88
    Options
    Nursing definitely makes things a little tricky! I am a mom of three (7, 5 & 2) and have so been there. Your baby needs the calories so I wouldn't go below where you should be to lose the weight.... I agree with the changing your exercise routine, as little time you have to do it....switching things up makes the body work harder and you'll get better results. A trainer once told me it is necessary to change your rouine every 6 weeks for sure. Take pride in the fact you care enough about yourself to keep trying to get where you want to be, it's no picnic with little ones....I too am working toward my married weight and am tired of people telling me it's not possible...anything is possible! Good luck!
  • JPotvin
    JPotvin Posts: 108
    Options
    Keep it up! I know you are busy...me too (but without the 4 year old)! When the weather gets cool enough...put your baby in the front carrier, and your other 2 in a double stroller and walk as fast as you can for as long as you can! That burns a lot of calories and speeds up metabolism. I do know it is still hot where you are...but keep working out inside until it cools off. Sometimes I do 2 shorter "power" walks to keep up my metabolism and energy during the day...early morning and early afternoon.
  • mykaar74
    Options
    don't give up, and yeah stick with the once a week weighin, or maybe even every other week. Have you tried Zumba, or anything like that at home. I am a childcare provider (infants thru age 2) and I find that thee 1 & 2 year olds love the jumping around. You can order the disc from zumba.com, or go to the libraries & rent them. And depending on the movement you can hold your infant as you salsa and all that. Once again hang in there you'll get your mojo back. You can also feel free to add me for support
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    When I first started with this, I couldn't seem to budge the scale (except perhaps up and down the same pound) for at least 4-5 weeks. Then I was losing fairly consistently - some weeks more than others for awhile. However, the last 3 weeks, the scale is stuck again. I seem to have hit a plateau. Today, I didn't work out and I went WAY over in calories.. I am hoping to shock the system and then get back to behaving tomorrow. Hang in there and try not to get discouraged. We have to weather the slow periods if we are going to be able to keep at this for the long haul ... good luck.
  • Sarah101010
    Options
    I agree that as a nursing mom you need to make sure and get at least your minimum calories. So whatever this site said (1200?) PLUS an additional 500 calories on top of that. So maybe you are not eating enough calories and your metabolism has slowed down because of this? Plus, I am sure you know nursing moms need LOTS of water! :smile: If you are getting enough calories, then I also agree to change it up a bit. One day have 1700 calories, the next have 1900, etc. See if that gets your metabolism going. I am nursing (weaning) as well. It is HARD work in the early weeks/months, but so worth it! You are one busy Mama!Thanks for sharing. Wishing you all the best!