Am I eating right?

Options
Hi

I have previously tried logging my food and always go off the band wagon.. I have signed up for the gym this week and am now really trying, and i am logging all my food and exercise acurately.

My diary is open, could people take a look and let me know their opinions? I am 19 years old 5ft 5 and currently 176 pounds.

Thanks!!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi Laura-

Looks like you are logging pretty well, I see lots of grams serving sizes so hopefully that means you are acutally weighing out your food. If not and you are just guestimating then get yourself a little foodscale and start. You goal of 1500 claories a day looks pretty good. Make sure you try to hit it. I see on a few days you are a couple hundred calories below that. Unless you are worried your exercise calories are overestimated then try to eat them back.

Your off to a great start. I have found with MFP I have great success if I stick with it and get a good logging streak going. Keep it up and "don't fall off the bandwagon" (make sure you log on the weekends!) and you should get where you are trying to go :smile:

~Best wishes
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Looks good to me! We have similar height/weight stats and a similar calorie goal. I try to stay between 1200-1500 net.
  • cctouch81
    Options
    Most of your meals look good. I think you need to cut out your high sugar/high salt foods. I also noted quite a bit of processed foods (oatmeal, crackers, slices of bread). Consider bananas and apples sugar as well. Although these fruits are "healthy" foods and a good source of fiber, they will simply turn to sugar and thus fat unless you are actively burning it off through intense cardio. If you are going to consume sugar, you absolutely must get your heart rate up for 30 mins or more.

Your meat consumption is high as well, in my opinion. Ham, beef and lamb are not lean meats. Although a source of protein, they are very fattening unless you are, again, actively trying to build muscle (lifting weights). On the days I lift weights aggressively, I consume egg whites and spinach for breakfast, 6 oz of fish or turkey for lunch and then a sensible dinner (steamed veggies, whole grain rice).

Also, looks like your meals are heavy-loaded in evening. One of your dinners was over 700 calories! Try front-loading your meals. Eat more for breakfast (300-500 cal), snack (150 cal), lunch (300 cal), snack (150 cal), dinner (300) and snack again (150 cal) for a total of 1400-1500 cal). Create the deficit by shooting for 300-500 calories of exercise.

Overall, a good start! Good luck! I hope this helped.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Most of your meals look good. I think you need to cut out your high sugar/high salt foods. I also noted quite a bit of processed foods (oatmeal, crackers, slices of bread). Consider bananas and apples sugar as well. Although these fruits are "healthy" foods and a good source of fiber, they will simply turn to sugar and thus fat unless you are actively burning it off through intense cardio. If you are going to consume sugar, you absolutely must get your heart rate up for 30 mins or more.

Your meat consumption is high as well, in my opinion. Ham, beef and lamb are not lean meats. Although a source of protein, they are very fattening unless you are, again, actively trying to build muscle (lifting weights). On the days I lift weights aggressively, I consume egg whites and spinach for breakfast, 6 oz of fish or turkey for lunch and then a sensible dinner (steamed veggies, whole grain rice).

Also, looks like your meals are heavy-loaded in evening. One of your dinners was over 700 calories! Try front-loading your meals. Eat more for breakfast (300-500 cal), snack (150 cal), lunch (300 cal), snack (150 cal), dinner (300) and snack again (150 cal) for a total of 1400-1500 cal). Create the deficit by shooting for 300-500 calories of exercise.

Sugar will not deter you from losing weight. Eating fruit is a great idea. Just stay within your calorie goals for the day.

Meal timing is irrelevant. Eat whenever you want to throughout the day - again, staying within your calorie goals.

ETA: I have lost over 110 pounds in the last 2 years, eating apples, meat, sugar, and eating at all times of the day. I lift weights and run. You do not have to be so restrictive and regimented with your eating to lose weight.
  • laurakeens94
    laurakeens94 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My calories are set for 1300, the excess calories are due to exercise, I sometimes eat these back sometimes not. My NET after exercise is normally around 1200-1300, and yes I have a little food scale and weigh all the food in grams.

So far I have lost 3 pounds since monday. Probly all water weight though!
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options

Um...not exactly

I would read these instead
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1187899-in-place-of-a-roadmap-short-n-sweet-reposted
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

and check out this group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    (read the stickies first)
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    HealthyishWithMaggieG Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're off to a good start. Something I would change up would be the macros that you track. It looks like with the foods you're eating, you're getting a good amount of fiber, so that isn't really something you need to worry about, IMO. Also, typically, if you keep your total fat grams in check, your saturated fat grams will be in check, too. I'd consider taking that off your tracker, too. Since it looks like quite a few of the things you're eating are prepared, packaged foods, I'd be sure to track the sodium and sugar content. So, the things I recommend being in your tracker are: calories, fat (total), sodium, carbs, sugar, and protein.

Also, are you drinking water or are you just not logging it? Water is super important! The "standard" 8 cups a day isn't really what each of us needs. To calculate your water needs, take your weight (in pounds), divide by 2. The number that remains, drink that many ounces of water each day. Since you said your current weight is 176 pounds, you should be drinking about 88-oz of water each day.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options

Sugar will not deter you from losing weight. Eating fruit is a great idea. Just stay within your calorie goals for the day.

Meal timing is irrelevant. Eat whenever you want to throughout the day - again, staying within your calorie goals.

ETA: I have lost over 110 pounds in the last 2 years, eating apples, meat, sugar, and eating at all times of the day. I lift weights and run. You do not have to be so restrictive and regimented with your eating to lose weight.

This. It's a lifestyle change so do what works for you and makes you happy.
  • laurakeens94
    Options
    Unfortunatly I really dont like drinking plain water. and yes I just havent bothered logging my fluid intake.

I tend to drink about 1.5 litres of orange squash(no added sugar) a day, and around half a litre of plain water when I am exercising.

This is alot for me! I have always struggled to drink enough, does this sound enough?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're off to a good start. Something I would change up would be the macros that you track. It looks like with the foods you're eating, you're getting a good amount of fiber, so that isn't really something you need to worry about, IMO. Also, typically, if you keep your total fat grams in check, your saturated fat grams will be in check, too. I'd consider taking that off your tracker, too. Since it looks like quite a few of the things you're eating are prepared, packaged foods, I'd be sure to track the sodium and sugar content. So, the things I recommend being in your tracker are: calories, fat (total), sodium, carbs, sugar, and protein.

Also, are you drinking water or are you just not logging it? Water is super important! The "standard" 8 cups a day isn't really what each of us needs. To calculate your water needs, take your weight (in pounds), divide by 2. The number that remains, drink that many ounces of water each day. Since you said your current weight is 176 pounds, you should be drinking about 88-oz of water each day.

Protien macro is the most important...hit that min...along with the fat...you need fat in your diet and you need to hit that min.

Sugar and sodium only if you have medical reasons.

Water/fluids...doesn't have to be water...juice, milk, decaf teas etc.

88oz of water is not necessary. Drink enough to keep you hydrated.

For weight loss it's not what you eat it's how much...if you want to keep the muscle you have make sure you get in enough protien and fats...carbs for the rest...

Do not eliminate foods or food groups...eat what you want in reasonable portions and stay in your calorie goals.

Make this a sustainable change...eat the way you plan on eating the rest of your life just in smaller portions.

Exercise is for health and can give you extra calories...eat 50-75% of those back to fuel your next workout.

And as mentioned...meal timing is irrelevant...
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    HealthyishWithMaggieG Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Unfortunatly I really dont like drinking plain water. and yes I just havent bothered logging my fluid intake.

I tend to drink about 1.5 litres of orange squash(no added sugar) a day, and around half a litre of plain water when I am exercising.

This is alot for me! I have always struggled to drink enough, does this sound enough?

Not knowing what orange squash is, I don't know what to tell you, on this, but you definitely want to log it. Personally, I'm at 171.8 pounds and need to drink 2 1/2 to 3 liters of water a day or I feel dehydrated... and that's in addition to anything else I may drink (milk, juice, or soda). I know they say that drinking tea or coffee or other things like that count toward your water intake for the day, but it just doesn't quench my thirst like plain water does. To flavor it up some, you can add fruit slices.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Not knowing what orange squash is, I don't know what to tell you, on this, but you definitely want to log it. Personally, I'm at 171.8 pounds and need to drink 2 1/2 to 3 liters of water a day or I feel dehydrated... and that's in addition to anything else I may drink (milk, juice, or soda). I know they say that drinking tea or coffee or other things like that count toward your water intake for the day, but it just doesn't quench my thirst like plain water does. To flavor it up some, you can add fruit slices.

Not sure if you get orange squash in other countries but here in the UK it's a high concentrate juice that you add to water. The regular stuff is quite sugary but you can buy the sugar free stuff. Has practically zero calories, but has sweeteners in. In terms of losing weight.... it's fine.
  • laurakeens94
    Options

Not sure if you get orange squash in other countries but here in the UK it's a high concentrate juice that you add to water. The regular stuff is quite sugary but you can buy the sugar free stuff. Has practically zero calories, but has sweeteners in. In terms of losing weight.... it's fine.

Yes orange squash in the UK is as above. I do use the no added sugar one that only has sweeteners so thats good to know! thank you
  • rockmama72
    Options

I must respectfully disagree with most of this. I agree that eating fewer processed foods is a nice goal, but the part about how you absolutely must get your heart rate up for 30 minutes if you eat sugar just isn't fact. Ham, lamb and meat are not fattening--nothing is if you're not eating over your daily energy output. Plus they're delicious!

I frequently have dinners over 700 calories, so I chuckled that it's called out here as some kind of abomination. 700 calories really isn't that much for a main meal.
  • laurakeens94
    Options

I must respectfully disagree with most of this. I agree that eating fewer processed foods is a nice goal, but the part about how you absolutely must get your heart rate up for 30 minutes if you eat sugar just isn't fact. Ham, lamb and meat are not fattening--nothing is if you're not eating over your daily energy output. Plus they're delicious!

I frequently have dinners over 700 calories, so I chuckled that it's called out here as some kind of abomination. 700 calories really isn't that much for a main meal.

Thank you! I dont often eat more than 700cals for main meals, however i prefer to have a substancial good meal in the evening and eating fewer throughout the day. If I only ate 300 calories for dinner as suggested, I would end up reaching for the crisps or buiscet tin by 8pm! My downfall is spaghetti bolognase, this is the meal that was over 700 cals, i just love it!! I did use low fat cheese ontop instead of full fat, so thats something haha.
  • rockmama72
    Options

Thank you! I dont often eat more than 700cals for main meals, however i prefer to have a substancial good meal in the evening and eating fewer throughout the day. If I only ate 300 calories for dinner as suggested, I would end up reaching for the crisps or buiscet tin by 8pm! My downfall is spaghetti bolognase, this is the meal that was over 700 cals, i just love it!! I did use low fat cheese ontop instead of full fat, so thats something haha.

I do the same--my resolve is great during the day, but dinner time is my family social hour and it means a lot to us and we cook really nice food every night. I will never give that up!