Bread and Butter

Options
2»

Replies

• lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I love bread and butter too - especially with a sprinkling of salt and pepper! I have cut it out of my diet for the most part because although I love it, it uses up a lot of calories from my daily allowance and I decided that I would rather eat other things that fill me up. I was also finding that my b&b addiction was getting out of control - I couldn't just have one slice of bread, I had to have two, or three, or sometimes even four slices....eek! So I went cold turkey to break the habit!!

If you can work your b&b into your daily calorie allowance, then go for it! It just didn't work for me.

There are plenty of lower fat spreads that do taste quite buttery, so you could try making a substitution. As others have said, there are also plenty of lower calorie breads available. Alternatively, try spreading less butter, or even spreading the butter on only one half of the slice then fold over into a sandwich.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Real butter is the best! LOVE IT. I too am a big fan of bread and butter. Sara Lee makes a "delightful" bread that is 45 calories a slice. I find it is just as good as full calorie bread. A trick I've learned about butter is if you soften it in the microwave so it's almost melty, you end up using way less. I like to put some garlic powder and a T of parmeasan cheese and toss it in the toaster oven. Best garlic bread ever and it only has just over 100 calories per slice (if you use 1/2 T of butter). YUMMY!
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Margerine = No no no - do you know whats in it? Its like eating plastic. Ugh

Not necessarily, it depends which brand you buy. Margerine is just made with vegetable oils instead of butterfat so that it spreads easier. Some of the low fat versions have stabilisers and gums in them to replace some of the fat - those are a bit more icky but not necessarily bad for you.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I have bread and butter when I'm sick, since I'm not eating much (and I LOVE it). Otherwise, I can't resist it and I could eat half a loaf with a few tablespoons of butter in one day, so I don't buy butter, or bread. If I buy bread, I buy something like a petite loaf.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Healthy Life makes a bread that is 35cal a slice with no artificial sweeteners and it's delicious. And Country Crock or even I Can't Believe it's Not Butter is just as good as the real thing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Lower calorie bread (or cut it thinner if you make your own) and less butter (spread it thinner) would save you some calories without giving it up entirely.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Just eat the butter!! lol

OR try this, i like it

8792955554_27f49cc02c_o.png
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Eat the bread and butter. Get a new boyfriend.

UGH. Seriously though? As long as you log it, he can shut up. Real butter is better than that chemical crap.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    We love Brummel and Brown Spread. It's a yogurt/butter spread, very creamy. You don't have to use so much of it, I find. But it comes in SMALL containers so you always feel like you're running out. Buy 2 at the same time.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Margerine = No no no - do you know whats in it? Its like eating plastic. Ugh

I'd stick to a small amount of real butter, yeah it has more calories, but its more natural and isn't full of horrid manmade ingredients to make it taste nice.
    Is it because you have trouble pronouncing the ingredients?