Weight Loss and Psychological Help

Options
Has anybody started seeing a psychologist in order to help them with their weight loss? I saw this questionnaire about overeating from Overeaters Anonymous: http://www.oa.org/newcomers/is-oa-for-you/

I'm certainly uncomfortable with the number of questions I answered 'yes' to. I don't want to join a 12 step program but, at the same time, I recognize that this is an issue and I need help dealing with eating habits.

So, has anybody gone to counselling for overeating? What was your experience? Was it helpful?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No I haven't but ...and no I am not making fun

If I do an AA questionairre I answer yes to a lot of those questions too...

Like have you ever felt remorseful, have you lost work time, do you drink alone etc.

According to that questionairre I answered yes to 13 of those questions out of 20 and that I am an alcoholic...

I am not...I hardly drink at all...I like to drink, but so far from needing help it's silly.

1.Do I eat when I’m not hungry, or not eat when my body needs nourishment? Yes
    2.Do I go on eating binges for no apparent reason, sometimes eating until I’m stuffed or even feel sick? No
    3.Do I have feelings of guilt, shame or embarrassment about my weight or the way I eat? Yes
    4.Do I eat sensibly in front of others and then make up for it when I am alone? Yes
    5.Is my eating affecting my health or the way I live my life? Yes
    6.When my emotions are intense—whether positive or negative—do I find myself reaching for food? Yes
    7.Do my eating behaviors make me or others unhappy? Yes
    8.Have I ever used laxatives, vomiting, diuretics, excessive exercise, diet pills, shots or other medical interventions (including surgery) to try to control my weight? Yes
    9.Do I fast or severely restrict my food intake to control my weight? Yes
    10.Do I fantasize about how much better life would be if I were a different size or weight? Yes
    11.Do I need to chew or have something in my mouth all the time: food, gum, mints, candies or beverages? sometimes
    12.Have I ever eaten food that is burned, frozen or spoiled; from containers in the grocery store; or out of the garbage? No
    13.Are there certain foods I can’t stop eating after having the first bite? No
    14.Have I lost weight with a diet or “period of control” only to be followed by bouts of uncontrolled eating and/or weight gain? Yes
    15.Do I spend too much time thinking about food, arguing with myself about whether or what to eat, planning the next diet or exercise cure, or counting calories? Yes

I could answer yes to serveral of these as well...but I don't need professional help...I just need to say no to myself and take control of my own life.

I am not saying that there are people out there that don't need help there are...I've seen it in my own family...they even died due to health complications due to their weight...one at 50 didn't know she was pregnant she was so obese...

really give it some thought...do you really need help or do you just need to say no to yourself? Use self control in other words...
  • PibbleLover88
    PibbleLover88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Last summer I was seeing a counselor for some other things for a short period of time, and we occasionally discussed my health and eating habits. At the time it wasn't something I was interested in digging into with her, but she would have been more than interested in discussing it if I wanted to. My work offers free counseling services, so, if it is something you are willing to try, I don't think it could hurt!

One of the things we did talk about was that a lot of people over think weight loss. Basically, when you eat in a certain way and you are active in a certain way, your body just has a weight that it will find that accompanies those habits. If you want to weigh 150 lb, be active like a 150 lb person should and eat like a 150 lb person should.

An MFP friend recently suggested this book to me: http://www.amazon.com/The-Beck-Diet-Solution-Person/dp/0848732758. It seems to address a lot of the psychological problems I feel with weight loss. Maybe check into it!
  • emcohen
    emcohen Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I try to be active like a slimmer person but recently I've lacked any sort of energy or motivation. I'm one of those people who exercise and lose weight but then stall and gain it all back. I've gone from 230lbs to 200lbs and back three times in the past 4 years.
  • yumbinkbugonrox
    yumbinkbugonrox Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    it was helpful for me because i had a problem with emotional eating. so i worked on changing my thoughts and improving my coping skills.