Upped my calories and not losing, but gaining????!

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I just think it's very ignorant and closed minded of people to think that upping your calories never works - in some instances and for some people it does. I'm one of those.

It's clear you believe it, and you have had success. And that's awesome. But it isn't closed minded. It's science. You know your experience. What you don't know is what would have happened if you'd continued the larger deficit.

Are you saying that science is never wrong?

Are you saying that your body defies the laws of thermodynamics? It's always helpful to know where the goal posts are set...
  • One_Last_Time
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion no matter what you do on here, It's wrong. You eat less everyone tells you to eat more. You eat more everyone tells you your eating to much. High reps low weight they say high weights low reps. Do high weight low reps then your suppose to be doing low weights high reps. It sucks.

Just do what works for you. If you were losing at 1,200 and you weren't hungry, tired or weak then do it. Just listen to your body. Give it more when you need more. As long as your eating the right foods, getting enough water, sleep and some exercise your golden.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

I just think it's very ignorant and closed minded of people to think that upping your calories never works - in some instances and for some people it does. I'm one of those.

It's clear you believe it, and you have had success. And that's awesome. But it isn't closed minded. It's science. You know your experience. What you don't know is what would have happened if you'd continued the larger deficit.

Are you saying that your body defies the laws of thermodynamics? It's always helpful to know where the goal posts are set...

Oh right, I forgot....MFP - where everyone is a self-proclaimed doctor or scientist. Please see my above posts. What I'm saying is that it CAN work for some and that I'm one of those people, if my body is defying whatever scientific law you now want to quote, then so be it. I'm not the only one this has worked for, and I'm not claiming that it will work for everyone. My whole point of these posts is to say that it "never works" is, in fact, not accurate.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Oh rly? So care to tell me how exactly I lost my weight? I started out eating between 1,000 and 1,200 cals a day and working my butt off in the gym. Lost my first 20 pounds and then stalled. For like 4 months. And yes, I was using food scale and wearing a HRM to track calories burned. So...I upped my calories, slowly to around 1,800 and after a few weeks, the weight started coming off like crazy. I'm now down 62 pounds. So explain that.

Look, I'm not saying people CAN'T lose on 1,200 cals or less, what I AM saying is that some (not all) people can actually lose on much more calories than that - especially those who are active.

Since it worked for me, I'm not going to waste my time doing research for studies that have shown it works FOR SOME PEOPLE, but since we're all about throwing in non-scientific links, here's mine:

http://sophieologie.me/2013/09/26/1200-calories/

K take a step back...that is not what I said...

I said if you aren't losing weight eating 1200 caloires (and I mean really eating 1200 calories not logging) then you wont lose weight eating 1800 calories...

I never once said you can't lose weight on anything more than 1200...I lose on 1600-1900 but I know how much I am eating because I log accurately.

As for you I don't believe you were logging accurately...even the MFP users who have been here for years notice that sometimes their choices in entries is wrong, or they losen their logging or forgot to log...

lol @ non science..if you want the link to the Minnesota experiment I will go get it but thought the summary got my point across better.

I don't need to research simple math I learned it in grade 1....calories in <calories out =weight loss....calories in>calories out= weight gain, calories in=calories out=maintiance.

I think this is where the phrase correlation <>causation
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    As everyone should know, muscle weighs more than fat, so you will be losing fat and replacing it with lean muscle. I'd advise you to take measurements and write them down because scales mean nothing, it's how many inches you lose in the process.. Good luck!

It was actually not going too badly until this point. :noway:

But let's continue deeper into the rabbit hole for more gems...
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Oh right, I forgot....MFP - where everyone is a self-proclaimed doctor or scientist. Please see my above posts. What I'm saying is that it CAN work for some and that I'm one of those people, if my body is defying whatever scientific law you now want to quote, then so be it. I'm not the only one this has worked for, and I'm not claiming that it will work for everyone. My whole point of these posts is to say that it "never works" is, in fact, not accurate.

I think it's great that you figured out how to lose while eating more. That doesn't mean that your body magically stopped losing weight because you weren't eating enough though. If that were 'truth' no one would ever starve to death. The explanation that is the simplest and makes the most sense, is usually the right one. You were plateaued (which happens to everyone losing weight, because weight loss is not linear) and would have eventually continued to lose weight as long as you stayed in a deficit despite changing up your eating and exercise routine.

I am not a self proclaiming scientist - it says it on my university degree. :drinker:
  • QuietBloom
    Options

It's an indisputable fact (scientifically, mathematically, whatever) that if you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight.

The science is only as good as the data and the conclusions drawn by the data. As illustrated by your conclusion that eating more food caused you to lose more weight. In that case, yeah. Your science is wrong.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Mmm, I love the smell of dumpster fire in the morning!

OP! Can you lose on more than 1200? Probably. Can you lose at 1800? Probably. But who the hell knows, what with you not accurately logging your food. Your 1200 may have been 1800 and your 1800 might be 2600.

Eating more to weigh less: IS NOT about eating more than your TDEE or whatever. It's about going from some low number to a higher number in hopes that energy and adherence will benefit. I went from sub 1200 to around 1800 (goal is 1870 these days) and have lost 'more' at the higher number, but not because I'm some kinda special snowflake (I wish), but because at 1200 I was sluggish, unhappy, and couldn't give my all to..well anything, plus I'd break my diet often to pig out because I was starving. Now I'm full of energy, have no issue sticking to my goal, and keep a high activity level/higher TDEE.

Ate more, weigh less, no science was harmed. Adherence is maintained, mental health is maintained, weight loss is easy. That's not to say I didn't lose at a lower number. I lost. I lost fast, like a champ. And then ate it all back in cupcakes (also like a champ)

OP, scale. Split the difference, eat around 1500. See how it goes for a month, report back. Easy.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    weighing yourself everyday isn't good you could be consuming a lot of sodium? i haven't looked at your diary but maybe just try not eating back ALL of your exercise calories everyday and try not to weigh yourself everyday either, that is just my opinion though.
  • dare2love81
    Options
    As for you I don't believe you were logging accurately...even the MFP users who have been here for years notice that sometimes their choices in entries is wrong, or they losen their logging or forgot to log...

I don't need to research simple math I learned it in grade 1....calories in <calories out =weight loss....calories in>calories out= weight gain, calories in=calories out=maintiance.

Okay this is going nowhere. I can assure you I was logging accurately, as I said, I have (and had at the time) a foodscale and a HRM. And when I upped my calories, I didn't change the way I logged or what I was eating. So, that wasn't the case.

And do you really think with her being as active as she's saying that her maintenance level is 1,200 calories? Seems pretty unrealistic to me, science be d*mned.

Bottom line is this, everyone is different, and what works for one doesn't work for another. Maybe she shouldn't have upped her calories, maybe she should have. However, I will say this much, when making any change to diet and/or exercise you need to give it time to see what happens and give the body time to adjust.
  • Achrya
    Options

Okay this is going nowhere. I can assure you I was logging accurately, as I said, I have (and had at the time) a foodscale and a HRM. And when I upped my calories, I didn't change the way I logged or what I was eating. So, that wasn't the case.

And do you really think with her being as active as she's saying that her maintenance level is 1,200 calories? Seems pretty unrealistic to me, science be d*mned.

Bottom line is this, everyone is different, and what works for one doesn't work for another. Maybe she shouldn't have upped her calories, maybe she should have. However, I will say this much, when making any change to diet and/or exercise you need to give it time to see what happens and give the body time to adjust.

Her maintenance could be 1200. That would suck but sometimes that;s life.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Seriously? I never said her maintenance was 1200...no where...please quote where I said that...otherwise stop snipping quote and typing things that were never said...

Bottom line is yes everyone is different but that doesn't mean the laws of thermodynamics don't apply the same to everyone...

what she should have done is logged accurately and found out what her true count was instead of eating more food based on advice from people who think if they are eating 1200 and not losing that eating more will fix that...
  • SezxyStef
    Options

agreed and it would suck...maybe when she was a toddler :laugh:
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

If you understand what science is, that question makes no sense. In less understood areas of discovery, scientists find new things and test new theories all the time. Sometimes, something that is generally accepted is changed somewhat when a new discovery is made. It doesn't make the old understanding wrong. Like with the standard model and quantum physics. They are different, and so far, both hold up to testing.

But in regards to weight loss, we're well within the realm of practical science. There are things about weight loss that aren't fully understood. Calories in/calories out doesn't fall into that category.
  • Achrya
    Options

agreed and it would suck...maybe when she was a toddler :laugh:

If I had a dollar for every "I maintain at 1000-1300 calorie" woman I've seen on these forums...I'd be able to afford a really nice dinner at least once a week. And maybe they do maintain at that amount, I don't know their lives.

But I know I have nightmares about that kind of life.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Just eat some pizza. Problem solved.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Okay I have taken everyone's advice, and upped my calories from 1,200 to 1,830. (I went from lose 2lbs per week to .5lbs per week: current weight 128, goal weight 120. I am 5'2" and my body fat % is 21). However I have been doing cardio and weight training, and of course upped my calories, and now I am gaining weight. I eat healthy and write down everything on MFP and measure it out. I check the scale daily (every morning when I get up), and it goes up a pound a day. Is this normal?? I'm trying to lose weight but if I am upping my calories, does that mean my weight will increase and then drop suddenly??? And I know in order to lose weight I need to be in a deficit, but how do I know if I'm still in that deficit?? If I'm supposed to be eating 1,830, and I burn 500 calories, and eat 2,330 yet net 1,830 (to reach my goal weight), does that mean I am in my deficit??? Or should I be Netting less than 1,830 to be in a deficit????
    You are going over your sugars !!!!!!!

Sugar is useless to track unless you are a diabetic. Which OP is not, unless she neglected to mention it. OP, try replacing the sugar macro with something useful, like fiber. :smile:
    Sugar is TERRIBLE for you, Look at this, a gummy worm is FAT FREE and has lots of sugar would you reccomend to eat that?
  • Achrya
    Options
    Okay I have taken everyone's advice, and upped my calories from 1,200 to 1,830. (I went from lose 2lbs per week to .5lbs per week: current weight 128, goal weight 120. I am 5'2" and my body fat % is 21). However I have been doing cardio and weight training, and of course upped my calories, and now I am gaining weight. I eat healthy and write down everything on MFP and measure it out. I check the scale daily (every morning when I get up), and it goes up a pound a day. Is this normal?? I'm trying to lose weight but if I am upping my calories, does that mean my weight will increase and then drop suddenly??? And I know in order to lose weight I need to be in a deficit, but how do I know if I'm still in that deficit?? If I'm supposed to be eating 1,830, and I burn 500 calories, and eat 2,330 yet net 1,830 (to reach my goal weight), does that mean I am in my deficit??? Or should I be Netting less than 1,830 to be in a deficit????

Sugar is useless to track unless you are a diabetic. Which OP is not, unless she neglected to mention it. OP, try replacing the sugar macro with something useful, like fiber. :smile:
    Sugar is TERRIBLE for you, Look at this, a gummy worm is FAT FREE and has lots of sugar would you reccomend to eat that?

Yes? I love gummy worms.
  • dare2love81
    Options

Seriously? I never said her maintenance was 1200...no where...please quote where I said that...otherwise stop snipping quote and typing things that were never said...

Bottom line is yes everyone is different but that doesn't mean the laws of thermodynamics don't apply the same to everyone...

what she should have done is logged accurately and found out what her true count was instead of eating more food based on advice from people who think if they are eating 1200 and not losing that eating more will fix that...

Okay, this is my final post on this topic since my experience with upping my calories is clearly wrong and defies science (although I still stand by the fact that eating below your BMR can slow your metabolism if you do it for too long) and obviously I must've been doing something wrong in the first place when I wasn't losing weight by eating 1,200 calories a day.

You said this: "I don't need to research simple math I learned it in grade 1....calories in <calories out =weight loss....calories in>calories out= weight gain, calories in=calories out=maintiance."

I took that as you inferring that since she wasn't losing weight, that she must be in maintenance. Sorry if I misread that.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Hand it over! I've got carbs to spare today!