Do other people trend this way?

Options
I've been at this for about 200 days now. I enjoy it and don't find it particularly difficult. I eat at a deficit and exercise, usually 5 days a week, alternating 30DS with C25K. My weight is coming off slowly. I have about 90 pounds to lose. I have found that my weight loss usually stalls a couple of weeks and then I drop 2-4 pounds for a couple of weeks. When I drop the 2-4 pounds and I reach a new low weight (boy am I happy then!WooHoo) that new low weight lasts for about two days. However, still exercising and maintaining my diet, my weight will then shoot up about 4- 5 pounds and then I have to lose it slowly again before it stays off. AND IT REALLY BUMS ME OUT.
Do other people experience this? Is my own body trying to sabotage me or maybe its my evil scales? Overall I am losing and for this I am thankful. I just wish it wasn't 3 steps forward 2 steps back and then 3 steps forward again.

Replies

• tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a lot of salty foods? Diet soda?
    More or less, my weight fluctuates 2-4 lbs within a week because of sodium. Diet soda and sodium can make people retain water. Don't give up! Check your water and sodium. ANd drink lots of water to flush sodium out of your system. You've got this.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    bumping because the same thing happens to me and I was curious as well.
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    started my weight loss/healthier living April of last year, and I trend almost the same way consistently: drop to a new low, bounce around 1-3 lbs higher for 2-3 weeks and then drop again to a new low. It's a pretty solid pattern, but I always get a little nervous as I'm nearing the end of the 2-3 weeks, even after all this time of 'success'
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Yes, weight fluctuates. Weigh yourself less often &/or use additional metrics—like photos & measurements.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • rach503
    rach503 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    YES! This happens to me too! I'll go a couple weeks losing an average of 2.5 pounds, then a week - 10 days where I maintain a weight, then woosh! Back to losing. It's nuts!
  • bigmamabird
    bigmamabird Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, yes! I'm relieved to see this happens to other folks too!
  • jmath911
    jmath911 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all that chimed in. I feel better knowing others experience this too. Like I said I am losing. It just isn't totally "linear".
    I fight hard to keep my salt low as I have high blood pressure(even when I was young and skinny) and I am on a diuretic.
    I believe this may be a "natural pattern" but I'm getting ready to kick my exercise up a notch since it is spring. Maybe that will speed up my weight loss.
    Patience and Persistence!
  • boombalatty123
    boombalatty123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. I usually log a loss and then it goes back up a pound or two for a few days and then back down to the low weight for a few more days, and then it dips again to another new low, and repeat. I don't get upset if I see a small gain, especially if I know I've been eating right.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Yes! I notice if I don't sleep 7-8 hours, the scale shows a gain of 2-3 pounds. I believe sleep is so important to weight loss as it is when our bodies do their magic.
    The motivation for me comes from dividing a months worth of weight loss by 4 weeks and most of the time it balances out to 1-2 pounds a week.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The way I work... I have my period, start losing weight on the 3rd/4th day... then every other day for a week. After that, it goes up a little bit, then comes down to my lowest after another couple days... then I gain back a bit, lose again (but it doesn't go as low as it was), then gain a bit before my next period... then I lose that extra weight on the 2nd day... then I go down again on the 3rd or 4th day, etc etc. It's been like this for 9 months or something. The month I didn't get a period, I didn't lose any weight at all.

Right now I'm in the middle and my lowest was 8 days ago, and when I weighed myself yesterday I was 0.6 lb over (and over 2 lbs 3 days ago). I have 2 weeks before my next period, and I know I'm not going to lose any weight until then.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I have the same pattern as you, OP. Difficult not to get discouraged, isn't it, when you have to lose the same weight AGAIN!!

Keep on keeping on, you're better than you were.......
  • LEEBRE0005
    Options
    Bump