Site talking about weight LOSS?

Options
I've been desperately trying to gain weight for the best part of my life, and myfitnesspal seemed like a really cool way to track calories and reach my goals.

However, although the sign up process allowed me to choose to want to GAIN weight, everything after that has talked about weight loss and calorie loss. For example the home page tells me "0 calories LOST" and my goal is apparently to lose 1lb a week??

So I guess my question is - is this site really a tool for helping weight gain and have I entered stuff wrong, or is it just yet another site for weight loss guidance?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Go to your home page, click goals, then the change goals button at the bottom. It will allow you to change your goal from losing one pound per week to gaining 0.5 or 1 lb per week.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've been desperately trying to gain weight for the best part of my life, and myfitnesspal seemed like a really cool way to track calories and reach my goals.

However, although the sign up process allowed me to choose to want to GAIN weight, everything after that has talked about weight loss and calorie loss. For example the home page tells me "0 calories LOST" and my goal is apparently to lose 1lb a week??

So I guess my question is - is this site really a tool for helping weight gain and have I entered stuff wrong, or is it just yet another site for weight loss guidance?

Because the majority of people have a obesity problem instead of needing to gain weight.

I think you are talking about the advertising ?? and lol it's advertising....

stick to the weight gain form if you have an issue with all the weight loss forums??? end of story? Don't look at something you don't like ?? don't complain about a service you are provided that comes at 0 cost to you...
  • xKalia
    xKalia Posts: 3
    Options
    Image showing what's happening: http://imgur.com/vMMrLFX

I just don't know why it keeps saying I want to lose weight >_<
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If it's telling you that your projected weight loss is NEGATIVE one pound, that means that you're projected to gain one pound a week.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Oh. I see.

Yeah - most (?) people use the site for losing weight. Or, at least, I think that's what it was originally set up for. By "-1" for weight loss expected, it simply means that you'd expect to gain 1 lb.

This is one of the issues that many people have asked the MFP developers/management to look into. They've made a few changes (such as the "Gaining Weight" sub-forum), but others have been quite slow to take place - if they'll take place at all.

Don't worry - you have it set up correctly. It will work for you, if you eat all the Calories you are supposed to eat.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Image showing what's happening: http://imgur.com/vMMrLFX

I just don't know why it keeps saying I want to lose weight >_<
    >home
    >settings
    >update my diet/fitness goals

>enter current weight
    >goal weight
    personal attributes
    change bottom drop down menu to gain 1 lb per week
    >hit save
    Should give you a calorie goal to reach for everyday.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Depending on how the code was set up (and it looks like it was originally designed for weight loss and support for gaining weight was tacked on later), let me impress upon you how much of a ***** it would probably be to put in the logic to switch everything to the phrasing you would prefer.
  • xKalia
    xKalia Posts: 3
    Options
    Ok, thankyou, I just wasn't sure if weight gain was actually supported and therefore it wouldn't work for me, but if it's just a site issue that's no problem, thanks!
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options

I didn't sign up to loose or gain weight in the beginning. Although, I have changed that to loose weight and have done so. I signed up with MFP to track my fat intake, nutrients and track my exercise. So, to answer your question it's for weight loss, weight gain or for people such as myself that wanted help with tracking. It's a free tool to help you do what you want. I just overlook the ads.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    You could try looking in the Groups section to find a support group. I know there are many people out there on this site looking to gain weight. Please don't get disheartened. I am sure though the ends we want are different the challenge is not that dissimilar we are all trying to achieve good health.

You sound as if you probably have your background health status sorted. If not and as this is an ongoing problem you could revisit some of the tests you had done previously to see if anything has changed.

Also you could ask a question of the tecky section, if there could be scope for changing the wording if the gain spot is triggered in goals. It sounds too simple but I can barely type.

All the very best as you reach out for good health.

edit for ps. it is possible to turn off the adds but don't ask me how to do it......
  • parker0303
    parker0303 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Although most of the features are aimed at those trying to lose weight, it's still very helpful for those of us trying to gain.

It's been a lifesaver for me by helping me count my calories and macros which, @3700 cal per day, are extremely hard to keep track of on my own. Just determine your TDEE via some of the formulas in the stickies and use the nutrition tracking to stay 10%-20% above that while lifting weights regularly.

Use the progress/reports tab to keep track of your weight and measurements and just ignore all the red colors they spit out, because for us, red=good.