Always feeling tired?

Mindful_Trent
Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
There are non-medical-related reasons you could be tired a lot: If you're eating poorly (lots of processed foods), that could be causing it . People who don't get regular exercise also tend to be more tired. Or you could just not be getting enough sleep!! (5 hours a night is NOT enough!)

However, if you think you have all that under control, then PLEASE do yourself a favor and see a doctor. Most places have clinics that will work with someone who cannot afford to pay much, if that is a concern.

The reason I bring this up is that my sister, a fairly thin (healthy-looking) 24 year old, noticed that she was ALWAYS tired... it's been going on for awhile now. She put off seeing a doctor because she figured it was because she's going to school full time and working, plus has been having to deal with sharing one car with her boyfriend. Well, she finally went to the doctor who agreed to run some basic blood tests but who told her she wasn't too worried about anything. My mom and I encouraged her to get the tests run because we have a history of thyroid problems in our family. Well, my sister's thyroid was fine, but she had a SEVERE vitamin D deficiency, which can really screw with your health! She is being given a high-dose of vitamin D to jump start her system and then has to take Vitamin D supplements. The doctor told her that multi-vitamins aren't all that effective, and that she needs to take a couple specific vitamin supplements. The doctor said regular exercise will also help. Hopefully her levels will become normal over the next month or so.

There are many medical reasons why you may be tired - Vitamin deficiencies, thyroid problems, other problems - only a doctor can rule this stuff out.

Also, depression and other similar conditions may cause you to feel abnormally tired, so if this is something you are concerned about (or even just a little!) I would recommend you talk with a professional.

It is NOT normal to always feel tired, and if you do, then there is a reason for it that needs to be addressed.

Replies

• Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Nice share! I absolutely agree and only have to add that you have to be your own strongest advocate with the doctor. My doctor tried to tell me I was depressed, write me a script for antidepressants and send me on my way. If you think it's not just depression, keep pressing the doc for answers or find a doctor who will find the right answers. I've seen too many people go into the doctor's office and come out with a script for antidepressants.

Depression could be a symptom of many things- thyroid imbalance, adrenal failure, severe allergies and even precursor to a severe migraine (all of the problems I really had and all present extreme fatigue). It took seeing a holistic nutrionist to start working out my issues.
  • 15 minutes a day in direct sunlight WITHOUT sunscreen is good for the production of Vitamin D.
  • This is great! I am the person that is always feeling tired when I eat right,, work out and get 7-9 hours of sleep a night and I am always walking around like a zombie, so I finally made an appt with my doctor , just have to wait a week to see her!! I finally got sick of always feeling tired and finally going to do something about it.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    I had that same problem and that was my solution as well. Vitamin D defiicency.
    I've been taking an Rx of it now and it really helps.
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    I'm the same way...if I am at home at all I always seem to need a nap between 1pm - 4pm. Anyone experience the same symptoms.
  • Mindful_Trent
    I'm the same way...if I am at home at all I always seem to need a nap between 1pm - 4pm. Anyone experience the same symptoms.

The point of my post is that there are many different reasons you could be tired - tiredness is a symptom for so many things. If your diet, exercise and sleep habits are healthy, then I recommend you see a doctor, since none of us can diagnose what your problem is, and it could be something that needs treated. If your diet, exercise and/or sleep habits aren't healthy, then start there and see if it helps by fixing those. If it doesn't, then see a doctor...
  • amwj313
    amwj313 Posts: 11 Member
    15 minutes a day in direct sunlight WITHOUT sunscreen is good for the production of Vitamin D.

Very true,in the summer. But if you live in the northern hemisphere, then, as my doctor said, "you could sit outside naked on a sunny day in January, and you still won't make any vitamin d because the sun is not strong enough."

I take a year round dose of 1200 IU daily and I do find that it helps a great deal.
  • Mindful_Trent
    15 minutes a day in direct sunlight WITHOUT sunscreen is good for the production of Vitamin D.

Very true,in the summer. But if you live in the northern hemisphere, then, as my doctor said, "you could sit outside naked on a sunny day in January, and you still won't make any vitamin d because the sun is not strong enough."

I take a year round dose of 1200 IU daily and I do find that it helps a great deal.

:laugh: Oh, this made me laugh! Great way to put it. I've never really been into taking extra vitamins/supplements, but with the summer going away (and thus the stronger summer sun) I may pick up vitamin D. I am at a high altitude, though, so the sun is stronger here than it is in places of a lower altitude. (That can be a good or bad thing...) I don't want to take anything I don't have to - maybe I'll dig out my lab reports from January and see how my levels were last winter.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Thanks for the reminder Trent. I've been dragging, and while I was taking Vit. D regularly, I stopped because I was out by my pool so often this summer with the girls. Now with Fall here, rainy days and winter approaching in Canada - I better get back to vitamin loading again.
  • 15 minutes a day in direct sunlight WITHOUT sunscreen is good for the production of Vitamin D.

I live in GA right now and we're still hitting the 90's during the day. I lived in Germany for 5 years and well, the sun doesn't shine there much at all. I had to buy a sun lamp.

But, yes, depending on where you live and the time of year do affect the strength of sunlight.
This discussion has been closed.