40 plus bodybuilding

Options
I am looking to start a forum for anyone over 40 that is trying to keep or acheive the body of a bodybuilder.

Replies

• jwmorgan307
    jwmorgan307 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I guess you would say I am going backward from most in the fact that I am here to add quality weight and to cut out fat. Right now I am about 216 lbs and have gone up to 239lbs but was not cut at that weight. I am looking to prove that a person at an older age can still come in with a rocking body type and defy the old saying that "I am too old for this!".
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm not into bodybuilding but I would like to get my muscle mass back up closer to where it was a few years back in preparation for doing a powerlifting meet or two.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Really there isn't much of a difference other than the fact that it is a lot easier to get injured and more difficult to recover from injury. Other than that the principals are pretty much the same.
  • kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I love lifting weights and have done so for over 30 years. I am 49! I don't think it's an age thing at all. Age is just a number anyways!:bigsmile:
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
  • pwdoktor
    pwdoktor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    In.
    Definitely get injured more easily, and longer recovery. Maybe closer to 'body shaping' than building.
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 and female, but think consistent weight-training has kept my muscle mass although I agree with the chance of injury increasing with age. I also deal with osteoarthritis in my thumbs and shoulders which means changing how I do weight training, but not necessarily decreasing the amount of weight.
  • swiftiesbuddies
    swiftiesbuddies Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Count me in I am trying to firm up and get some muscle tone :):smile:
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and lift heavier than some of the young guys at the gym! It's a win win situation, you eat over maintenance and build muscle, you eat under maintenance and burn fat and keep muscle. Lovely.
  • arey312
    arey312 Posts: 1
    Options
    count me in.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    In..45 and loving weight lifting!!! Let us all know the name of the group to join.
  • mjbowman821
    mjbowman821 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am just getting back into the gym after a 2 year layoff. and I don't want the body of a 46 year old.
    I want in
  • hawk4117
    hawk4117 Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm a 54 yr old male, soon to be 55 next month. I'm 5'9", 190lbs. and I work out 3 days a week atr the gym. I'm not Mr. muscle man or I mean I definately don't have a ripped body, but I can still bench press 225lbs a few times by myself with no spotter! lolol Not bad for an ole fart huh? As one get's older though you do have to listen to your body. Don't lift heavy weight's like you use to when you were a young buck...Edge down a bit on the weigts and focus more on cardio.
  • eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I guess you would say I am going backward from most in the fact that I am here to add quality weight and to cut out fat. Right now I am about 216 lbs and have gone up to 239lbs but was not cut at that weight. I am looking to prove that a person at an older age can still come in with a rocking body type and defy the old saying that "I am too old for this!".

I sure hope you're right! I'm 46 and just started strength training/weight machines. I'm trying to convert considerable fat into muscle. I've got plenty to work with, anyway :)
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm a 54 yr old male, soon to be 55 next month. I'm 5'9", 190lbs. and I work out 3 days a week atr the gym. I'm not Mr. muscle man or I mean I definately don't have a ripped body, but I can still bench press 225lbs a few times by myself with no spotter! lolol Not bad for an ole fart huh? As one get's older though you do have to listen to your body. Don't lift heavy weight's like you use to when you were a young buck...Edge down a bit on the weigts and focus more on cardio.

While I'm not quite so old as you I've known plenty of older powerlifters who do the opposite. I've seen quite a few competing in their 50s, 60s and 70s and lifting serious weight. It just requires a bit more caution and wisdom than when we were younger. Studies have also shown that strength/muscle can be gained well into the later years of life.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I tend to think of myself as a runner and a tennis player. But I try to lift twice a week, unless there is an injury issue. (Yeah, there is often something, dang it!)
    Warm up, warm up, warm up. That is the key.
  • wolfie640
    wolfie640 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm in ....about to hit 50 and looking to put some muscle on my 6ft 3 frame.
  • Bumaye123
    Bumaye123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You're gonna rock it!!!
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I think if you are older 40+ and you want to do powerlifting you have to add a lot of mobility work to the mix and be much more cautious/conservative. I am running into this myself. Years of working a desk job puts your body into a compromised position, which requires mobility work to counteract. Yoga is a good addition for the off days or sessions just dedicated to foam rolling and stretching.
  • tuneweplay
    tuneweplay Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    More info please. 41 now. 2 yrs ago, after boot camp and MFP, lost 30 pounds, now struggling to keep it off. Read a lot about weights - I think my wife and I just need to put it into practice, but need help.