Insanity and P90X

Options
I've heard of people combining these two programs together but I'm curious as to how they do it? Is it possible or am I miss reading?

Replies

• Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    some people do one program in the morning and the other in the evening. While others do a hybrid they either made up or found online
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    This is my hybrid. The thought of doing BOTH complete workouts (one morning, one night) is overkill if you ask me. I can't see your body being able to recover.

Weeks 1-3

1) Chest & Back, ARX
    2) Plyo Cardio
    3) Shoulders, biceps & triceps, Abs/Core+ (P90X+)
    4) Pure Cardio
    5) Fountain of Youth Yoga, Cardio Abs
    6) Cardio Power & Resistance
    7) Rest or X Stretch

Weeks 5-7

1) Chest, shoulders & triceps, ARX
    2) Plyo Cardio
    3) Back & biceps, Abs/Core+
    4) Pure Cardio
    5) FOY Yoga, Cardio abs
    6) Cardio Power & Resistance
    7) Rest or X Stretch

Recovery Week 4, 8, & 13

1) Core Cardio & Balance
    2) Kenpo/Cardio X+
    3) Core Synergistics
    4) Plyo X
    5) Yoga X
    6) Core Cardio & Balance
    7) Rest or X Stretch

Weeks 9 & 11

1) Chest & Back, ARX
    2) Max Interval Plyo
    3) Shoulders, biceps & triceps, Abs/Core+ (P90X+)
    4) Max Cardio Conditioning
    5) Fountain of Youth Yoga, Cardio Abs
    6) Max Interval Circuit
    7) Rest or X Stretch

Weeks 10 & 12

1) Chest, shoulders & triceps, ARX
    2) Max Interval Plyo
    3) Back & biceps, Abs/Core+
    4) Max Cardio Conditioning
    5) FOY Yoga, Cardio abs
    6) Max Interval Circuit
    7) Rest or X Stretch
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    BR are those workout the names of the DVD's, I curious which ones are Insanity and which ones are P90X.

But you've also done both workouts on their own haven't you? I'm just starting out so I'm wondering if i shoudl just do one and then the other and then combine the 2.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It's possible. I do P90X in the mornings and I have the Insanity 20 minute workout that is intense enough, but I also bike and do a couple other things in the evenings. Not everyday but most days. They key is to make sure you are eating enough. Two intense workouts in 1 day like that could conceivably burn nearly 2000 calories. I know for Plyometrics my HR monitor shows I burned about 1050 calories. Deduct what you'd normally burn sitting still, which for me is about 80, and you can see that if you add an equally, and some would say more, intense 45-60 minute insanity workout your calorie needs will be through the roof.

The hardest part about doing a lot of intense workouts is budgeting enough cash to buy all the food you'll need to eat! :wink:
  • Cina04
    Options
    BR are those workout the names of the DVD's, I curious which ones are Insanity and which ones are P90X.

But you've also done both workouts on their own haven't you? I'm just starting out so I'm wondering if i shoudl just do one and then the other and then combine the 2.

I think you should do one at a time to get to know the programs. =)

I'm on my second round of Insanity and after I'm done, I'm thinking about making a Insanity/Hip Hobs LV1 & LV2/Brazil BUtt lift Hybrid
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm just about finished with my 90 day hybrid program. Here's the schedule I came up with:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/34283494/Classic-Insanity-Hybrid-v2
  • BR1986FB
    Options

I'd recommend doing P90X first, then maybe Insanity. From that point you can mix it up. Starting out with Insanity is pretty ambitious and a hybrid even more so.

I've done 3 rounds of P90X and just completed week 7 of the hybrid posted above. I've never done Insanity on it's own and probably never will.
  • thanatos
    Options
    I've done P90x and am currently half-way through Insanity. I plan on doing a hybrid after. People often lump the two together because they're both Beachbody programs and are both extreme. In reality, they are very different programs.

P90x is more focused on strentgh training and their method of attack is what they call muscle confusion. You do certain programs for a month then as soon as you're body starts getting used to it by month end, you "confuse" your body and switch to some different programs. While there are some cardio workouts, you are doing strentgh training 3x a week, cardio 2x a week, and a day in the middle for a recovery (yoga).

Insanity is pure cardio. Its based on max interval training which gets you to hit your max HR doing cardio, do some moves than take a quick breather to lower the HR, than max it out again. The result is cardio workout that leaves you gaping for air but really improves your general fitness levels. Like P90x, you workout 6 days a week, but 5 workouts are cardio-focused and 1 is a recovery workout.

Most people who do a hybrid combine the strentgh training workouts of P90x with the cardio workouts of Insanity. So you'd get something like:

Day 1: P90x ST
    Day 2: Insanity Cardio
    Day 3: P90x ST
    Day 4: Recovery workout (either P90x or Insanity)
    Day 5: Insanity Cardio
    Day 6: P90x ST

Kind of a best of both worlds workout. I would recommend doing both of those programs by themselves before doing a hybrid so you can see for yourself how you like them and how your body responds. Most people say Insanity is harder but in reality, it depends on you. If you do a lot of cardio and have great cardiovasciular conditioning and don't have much experience with ST, Insanity may actually be easier. If you have plenty of experience with ST and not so much extreme cardio, P90x will be much easier for you. I guess most people generally have more expereince with ST than extreme cardio and hence people say Insanity is harder.

Hope this helps!
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Exactly, thanatos! "The best of both worlds."

I outgrew the P90X cardio workouts and needed more of a cardio challege so I added Insanity. I added two P90X weight workouts, along with FOY yoga and I'm good to go. The only thing that stinks is that I dropped P90X Legs & Back in favor of the FOY yoga. I love all of those pullups in that workout but putting all that torque on my Insanity fried knees with the leg workout just isn't feasible.

Can't wait until the new P90X comes out to create a hybrid for that one too.
  • Cina04
    Options
    I started Insanity @ 175lbs and so out of shape - After the 63 days it really trimmed down the body fat.
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    yes all of this helps out soo much!! Thanks for all the feed back everyone! I appreciate it!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options