It's all about making the next right decision

Options
ValGogo
ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
Hey guys. What's the deal with bread? I mean, do they put crack in it or something? Why is it so good?

I don't mean wonder type bread, that soft mushy stuff that is just delicious with peanut butter and jelly (I avoid that as much as possible), but the Italian, French, crusty, delicious, gotta-have-it-toasted-with-butter-and-a-nice-cup-of-black-Bustelo-coffee-with- sugar kind of bread. I have been limiting it, as much as possible. I have it but lately it's more sparingly.

I'm just wondering if my bread-aholism is the same phenomenon as when you eat too much sugar and crave it. I know that bread is just simple starch that converts to sugar. I also understand that it's in my head.

But, god-dang, it's just so yummy!!!! And don't get me started on real New York Bagels. Being a true New Yorker, I have access to the best bagel spots.

Arg....I just wish I didn't love it so. I will choose bread over cake and cookies every time.

Replies

• nicolemontagna22
    nicolemontagna22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm all about bread too. Especially garlic bread
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter toast :love:
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Yup, bread is my first choice too, especially Italian or whole grain crusty type breads. And if they are warm? Oh yeah! I try not to have it in the house that much, but when I do it doesn't last past that day! I do fit it into my calories though. This helps me have more control over it.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Yep, love NY style bagels. It is the one thing I miss most. I very rarely have them as I just don't want to spend the 300+ calories on them. On the rare occasion I do have them, I have 1/2 at breakfast and 1/2 at lunch.

Love the crusty breads too. I do indulge a few times per week on the take and bake multi-grains. I get cut the pieces small and eat as is. Love the chewiness!
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yep, don't know why it's so terrific. Guess that's why it's called the staff of life. I do know that, despite my love of it, I can't eat it every day. Too trigger-y for me. Once I eat one piece, I tell myself "Well, you already had one, go ahead and eat the whole loaf". It's like that for me with candy bars too. I'm better off without them in my life at all. I've actually had dreams about bread...
  • kaydoh2014
    kaydoh2014 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Part of what's going on is that carbs release seratonin in your brain. Seratonin is the chemical in your brain that when released makes you feel happy. Feeling happy is highly addictive, which is why we crave carbs. It's such an evil (but oh so yummy, delicious, and satisfying) cycle! LOL