Need help with BMR/TDEE

Options
I'm changing methods...going from the MFP calculation of 1200 cals to a higher intake. A friend told me about using just the BMR for my calories. So I hit up google and found a couple calculators...more research I found out about TDEE and subtracting 20% from that.... So I need help. I've calculated in both scooby and iifym.
Here are my plans...Pilates and Zumba (averages about 1.5-2 hours/day) for 6 days/week as well as starting a c25k (30 minutes/day) for 3 days/week.
Exercise will be at 6 days/wk and at least 9 hours a week..
Stats:
Female
CW: 165
H: 58" or 4'10" (yes, I'm short...lol)

Scoobys calculations: BMR 1480
Sedentary: TDEE:(1776) -20%:(1421)
1-3hrs/wk light exercise: TDEE: (2035) -20%:(1628)
3-5hrs/wk moderate: TDEE:(2294) -20%:(1835)
5-6hrs/wk strenuous: TDEE:(2553) -20%:(2042)
7-21hrs/wk strenuous: TDEE:(2812) -20%:(2250)

iifym calculations: BMR 1340
Exercise 3xwk: TDEE:(1842) -20%:(1473)
Exercise 5xwk: TDEE:(1959) -20%:(1567)
Exercise 6xwk: TDEE:(2018) -20%:(1614)

Like I said, I plan to work out 6 days/wk for at least 1.5-3 hours/day. I realize my body was in starvation mode at the 1200 calories/day. Which of these calculators are more reliable as to what I should be consuming? Is there a better calculator? Also, I don't understand the eating back calories. I just need pointed in the right direction with right information and tools and I will be ready to do this. :)

Thanks in advance!
Jae

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Jae-

I use the Scooby calculator for my calculations and so far they seem to be accurate for me. Have not every tried the IIFYM so not saying its not as good, just don't have any experience with it.

Since it looks like you will be using the TDEE -20% method then you do NOT eat back your exercise calories. My friends who use that method on here set their own calories themselves and then edit their workouts to just say "burned 1 calorie" doing xyz in order to not mess up their numbers. This is because the TDEE already has your exercise calories in it, therefor if you track your exercise on top of that you will double count them.

If you are interested this is a very informative post that explains TDEE, BMR, and how to customize your MFP goals yourself. Looks like you are already most of the way there but it might help clarify anything you are fuzzy about. If I remember correctly he is using fattofitradio.com to calculate but Scooby is fine too since you are already familiar with that one (I have used both and they come pretty close for me).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

~Best wishes
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Using IIFYM at http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ , I entered your physical stats and entered the activity level as 880 min/day "light", 80 mins/day "heavy", and 480 mins/day "sleeping" (9 hours per week averaged over 7 days is a bit under 80 minutes per day). That gives a TDEE of 1972, so TDEE-20% is a bit under 1600 calories per day, which is comfortably over your BMR of 1340. If you want to get more aggressive, you've got some wiggle room between your BMR and TDEE-20%.

I've found IIFYM to be pretty accurate for me.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Without a heart rate monitor, it'd be tough to know for sure how many calories per day you're exercising. But this is what I'd do.

I'd pick a number somewhere between 1600-1800. Just pick something. You won't gain if you eat this every day. And just eat that exactly every day for a couple weeks. See if you get angry or hungry or grumpy a lot. If so, add a little more every day. Then if after a couple months you aren't losing weight at a rate you like, then make an adjustment up or down to the number
  • gullettgirl
    gullettgirl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    WOW!! I didn't expect a reply back this fast, let alone THREE! :) All information and tips are a great help!!! It may just be a little trial and error til I get it where I need it. But I am so appreciative and thankful for the feedback! Now to take it out for a test-drive.