First Mini Bulk - Am I Doing Things Right?

Options
After losing 215 pounds (from 405 to 190 pounds) and maintaining that weight for a few months, I really wanted to increase my lean body mass and add some more muscle. I reached my goal weight of 190 pounds (6-0 in height) but I want to get more muscular and athletic. I started doing a "mini-bulk" about six weeks ago and slowly added more calories to my diet with a lot more protein, fruits, and vegetables. I gained 5 pounds in my first six weeks to 195 pounds. I have been tracking my measurements and my chest has increased a little and my waist has gone down 1/2 inch in six weeks so I think I had minimal fat gain. I have read that 0.5 - 1.0 pound per week for bulking is ideal. My time for my mile swim has approved and I feel really good and I feel stronger. I can definitely lift more weight now and see a little more muscle definition. When I started my mini bulk, I could only do 8 reps of 135 pounds for bench press and now six weeks later I can do 13 reps of 135 pounds for bench press.

I have never done a bulk before so I guess I just wanted some confirmation that I am doing things right. Once I get to about 200 pounds, I think I'll cut down to about 190. I'm afraid of becoming obese again after weighing over 400 pounds and gaining weight (even if it's mostly lean muscle) is really hard for me. I worked so hard to lose weight and seeing those numbers on the scale go up (even if it's only five pounds and some muscle gain) is psychologically hard. Any advice for a newbie at bulking? Am I doing things right?

Replies

• Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    No idea if you're doing it right but I wanted to say congrats on the 215 lb loss! That's fantastic!!! :drinker:
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're off to a good start. My experience with bulking is that the first 5 pounds or so is water/glycogen and you gain it quickly when you increase your carb levels. You will also lose it very quickly when you cut. If you can stand it, I would recommend bulking for more than 10 pounds because approx. 5 of those pounds is likely water. So, an example would be you gain 5 lbs. water, 3 lbs. muscle, and 2 lbs. fat. You're not really talking about much muscle gain if you stop at 10 lbs. It's great you're seeing your waist decrease. I don't think that is typical unless you are very new to weight training. I typically put 1" on my waist per 5-7 lbs. of weight gain with heavy weight training.

And yes, bulking is psychologically very difficult. You should get peace of mind knowing that you already know how to lose weight and the little bit of fat you gain on a bulk will come right off when it's time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    [quoteI have been tracking my measurements and my chest has increased a little and my waist has gone down 1/2 inch in six weeks so I think I had minimal fat gain.[/quote]

you're going the wrong way LOL- measurements should be going up if you are bulking.

I'd also discount the first 2-3 lbs- that typically isn't real 'gainz'.

How much is your maintenance
    How many calories over are you eating? (what's your surplus)
    And what does your training look like?

more definition doesn't mean you are gaining- in fact it probably means the opposite.

Yes- bulking is very hard- it's much harder than people realize- you have to really commit to getting bigger- realize your clothes stop fitting so well and you want to panic and you just have days where you can't stand what you are looking at- but don't get caught in the gray twilight of neither bulk nor cut- where you just put on 10 lbs and never go anywhere but you don't lose it- commit to gaining then commit to losing it.

I liked setting a min/max time frame- so 4 months min- 6 months max- I was going to bail at 4 months- I was just really unhappy with the weight I've put on- but I got recharged with a new program and said eff it I'm going for it. So I'll wind up with a 5 month bulk. There is no question I'm bigger muscularly as well as well- 'muscle fluff' I have fat days- I have I don't care days- and then I have days where I' m like EFF YES I ROCKED THIS WORKOUT!!!

keep in mind- you lost the weight once- you can do it again- and I promise you- after coming down to 190- there is no way you would be comfortable packing on another 200 lbs- I don't think you would let yourself do that- bulking is very systematic and you are in control of it- even though it's completely opposite of whatever everyone else seems to be doing- you are still in control.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Sounds like things are going right, you've got a good plan, and have good calorie goals.

You're tracking exactly as I did...the first couple months after losing a lot of weight (with strength training as part of the process), your body is so primed to build muscle that it builds it amazingly easy, so much so that your body fat continues to drop as you gain.

Unfortunately this condition won't persist long and eventually the fat gain, at least a little bit, will come.

As for the shrinking waist, are you noticing a strong fat reorganization/loose skin reduction effect? Bulking tends to supercharge both of those processes (fat person fat patterns become lean person fat patterns and loose skin goes away), which could explain some of the waist reduction.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I liked setting a min/max time frame- so 4 months min- 6 months max- I was going to bail at 4 months- I was just really unhappy with the weight I've put on- but I got recharged with a new program and said eff it I'm going for it. So I'll wind up with a 5 month bulk. There is no question I'm bigger muscularly as well as well- 'muscle fluff' I have fat days- I have I don't care days- and then I have days where I' m like EFF YES I ROCKED THIS WORKOUT!!!

I agree. During the bulk I just completed, I REALLY wanted to bail at 4 months due to the fat gain, but I stuck it out for 5 months. Some days you'll feel fat and some days you'll feel like the hulk. It's all a part of the process.