Squat Help

Options
mantium999
mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
The past couple weeks I am noticing that as the weight gets heavier on the bar, I have a tendency to shift weight more to one side when coming up out of the squat. Always to the same side, as though the hips are shifting when pushing up. Anyone with thoughts on the cause/remedy of this? Old friend google hasn't been very useful.

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    For me, it's caused by a knee issue (pretty sure it's a torn meniscus). Wearing my knee brace helps. I don't go much over 100 pounds. If you're going heavy, you should wrap your knees anyway to prevent issues.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery, and I used to do that. I shifted over, a bit, to my stronger leg. Now that I have healed a bit more, the strength has evened out and I do not do it any more.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    do you sit at your job a lot?

not all the time, but usually, coming up faster on one side than the other is due to a tight hip flexor. i have a freind that is the same way and that is his problem. i also have fairly tight hip flexors, so i stretch them every night before i go to bed by rolling my back out over a tightly inflated basketball and when i get to my low back/hip area i relax my body and just kinda drape myself over the ball letting it give a good long stretch. it hurts like hell sometimes, others not so bad. just takes time to get them to relax and losen up.
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    There's always a dominant leg. Keep your weight on your heels, keep a big chest, pop that booty up and out...if need be, widen your stance.

There are some videos "Squat Therapy" check them out on YouTube. It guides you through doing air squats by having you stand directly in front of a wall, arms up and hands interlaced. Then you squat as low as you can. You'll feel your lower lumbar tighten up like crazy, but if you master this by doing an air squat with toes against the wall, then you'll always have and know proper squat form.
  • mantium999
    Options
    I had knee surgery, and I used to do that. I shifted over, a bit, to my stronger leg. Now that I have healed a bit more, the strength has evened out and I do not do it any more.

I am finding the opposite to be true, tend to shift away from my dominant leg
  • mantium999
    Options
    do you sit at your job a lot?

not all the time, but usually, coming up faster on one side than the other is due to a tight hip flexor. i have a freind that is the same way and that is his problem. i also have fairly tight hip flexors, so i stretch them every night before i go to bed by rolling my back out over a tightly inflated basketball and when i get to my low back/hip area i relax my body and just kinda drape myself over the ball letting it give a good long stretch. it hurts like hell sometimes, others not so bad. just takes time to get them to relax and losen up.

Yes, desk job, on my *kitten* all day. Will look into hip flexor issues. Thanks.
  • mantium999
    Options
    There's always a dominant leg. Keep your weight on your heels, keep a big chest, pop that booty up and out...if need be, widen your stance.

There are some videos "Squat Therapy" check them out on YouTube. It guides you through doing air squats by having you stand directly in front of a wall, arms up and hands interlaced. Then you squat as low as you can. You'll feel your lower lumbar tighten up like crazy, but if you master this by doing an air squat with toes against the wall, then you'll always have and know proper squat form.

Good stuff. Thanks for the tips