HRM Polar F6

Options
Okay, I am contemplating buying a Polar F^ heart rate monitor. However, when investigated this I noticed that there is a Polar F6 HRM and a Polar F6 HRM watch. Which should I get? Don't they do the same thing, but pne requires a strap. While I enjoy exercising Idont know that I would consider myself a hard core athkete so I dont know if I need the one with the strap. I just want to keep track of my exercising and amount of calories burned. Any suggestions?

Replies

• daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    The strap is the monitor. If you get the watch only, then you don't get all of the benefits you want. Make sure to get both.
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I am the kind of girl who will always be watching my calories. I gain soooo easily and it is really easy for me to lose control. Point being, I am obsessed with my HRM. I have the Polar FT7 spring 2010 watch. I know that the strap is supposed to be really good for accurate results, so with my personal experience I would suggest getting the watch with the chest strap. The only bad things I have heard about the F6 is that the batteries aren't user replaceable. When the battery dies, you'd have to send it to Polar and they aren't exactly known for their customer service skills. The FT7 also has a coded frequency, which prevents other peoples' moniters from interfering with yours if you are at the gym or something. I hope this helps. Either way, I highly recommend getting a HRM of some sort. They are freaking amazing, and I have discovered that My Fitness Pal's exercise database is not at all accurate when it tells you how many calories you have burned. In the same ballpark, but still off.
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I am also wondering about this, what does just hte watch itself do? I'm looking for something that will give me automatic updates of my heart rate and calories burnt, possibly for the day. I work a waitressing job and am wondering how many cals i burn in a shift, vs being home doing chores. I really want a bodybugg but, just can't afford it right now. I really can't afford a hrm at all but, will spring for a less expensive one.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The chest is going to have the monitor on it to get a constant reading of your heartbeat. It's going to give you the most accurate calorie burn count. I haven't looked but I'm thinking the watch will only pick up your heart beat when you push a button or hold two buttons down therefore not giving you an accurate reading of how many calories you burned. I would go with the one that has the chest strap. I have the same one and I'm not a hardcore athlete. Good luck with your search.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If it's just selling the watch, I'm not sure if it will even work. I don't know how it would calculate everything without knowing your heart rate, and the only way it knows that is from the chest strap. I think you would have to have a chest strap for it to even work. And it's the most accurate way to determine calories burned. I have a Polar F6 and it's one of the best investments I've made. I love know exactly what I've burned and its great to be able to work out based on what my heart rate is. HRMs without chest straps are not nearly as accurate.
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    okay, i was misunderstanding some things. I was under the impression that the f6 updated itself without a chest strap. Here is my next question, how akward is the chest strap? would it work to wear it for a full day if i wanted to? I love numbers and just think that knowing them is fun and im curious what i burn doing laundry, or bathing th ekids, etc. Or does it only work during a work out? I need one anyway for INsanity but, just wondering what other tyupes of use i can get out of it.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    okay, i was misunderstanding some things. I was under the impression that the f6 updated itself without a chest strap. Here is my next question, how akward is the chest strap? would it work to wear it for a full day if i wanted to? I love numbers and just think that knowing them is fun and im curious what i burn doing laundry, or bathing th ekids, etc. Or does it only work during a work out? I need one anyway for INsanity but, just wondering what other tyupes of use i can get out of it.

The strap is no big deal--you get used to it pretty quickly. However, HRMs--all HRMs--CANNOT be used to monitor non-exercise, daily activity calorie expenditure. I'm not going into the details again, but, trust me, they cannot. An HRM is a passive device, so it will generate a number if you wear it all day, but the number doesn't mean anything--it's no more accurate than making it up.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The chest strap is the transmitter. The watch is the receiver. Without the chest strap, you just have an expensive digital wristwatch and (often) a mediocre stopwatch.