desperate in WV

Options
Hi,
I am an overweight woman in early 50's. I have almost lost 2 brothers recently.1 from a stoke and he has Diabetes and the other one from a Heart attack. I want to try to loose approx 50-60 lbs... I love sweets!!! I love food!!! I am a Diabetic myself and have been for years . However I just never really took control of it until my brothers got sick...I really need someone to help me with this.. My husband is dieting and trying to loose some but I cant bring myself to do it.. I need to start exercising but really don't want to. I sit at a desk job all day and the only walking I get in is in the office as of now...I have a bum ankle and it is hard to walk sometimes...
I know all this is NEGATIVE .. But, I have to at least get 50 lbs off .. I don't want to end up like my brothers...
PLEASE HELP IN WV

Replies

• mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    First of, welcome to MFP.

Now, at least you have identified the problems and are somewhat willing to make changes. That's a HUGE step in the right direction. I really can't tell to much about your eating and exercising habits by off this forum post. I would log EVERYTHING in your food diary and that way it's easier to gauge your habits.

Of course, you can add me and I'll help the best way I can. I would more recommend a nutritionist (especially since you are diabetic) and combined with the support and motivation MFP, you can get some really good results. But we are all here to help either way.
  • DragonLadyZinnia
    DragonLadyZinnia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry to hear about your brothers, but I think you're off to a good start with your own health by looking for support!

If it helps, I have plantar fasciitis (bad feet!) and I have a desk job, so I understand difficulty working out :/ I talked to my doctor about good shoes, the right inserts/supports, and starting off small. Try taking 10 - 15 minutes from your lunch break to walk. I have found that my lunchtime walk both burns calories and really gets me away from the stress of the office for a few minutes.

I know you mentioned your love of sweets and food, and the great thing is, that's okay! Mrphil is right - just log everything. Understand how you usually eat, and think about what small changes you can make that you can really stick to. I do think that talking to a nutritionist and/or a health coach would be a really positive experience (I found it very encouraging), and I know some insurance companies provide it either for free or at a very reasonable rate.

Things to think about!
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    So so sorry to hear about your brothers...big ((((((((Hugs)))))))! Please feel free to add me as a friend! :o)) x
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you've got a good starting point, you know the problems. I'm very sorry for your loss. When you find things difficult, think of them and your family - you've lots of reasons to get things under control.

I always tell people to start with one habit. They reckon it takes 3 weeks to break or make a habit. There are 52 weeks in a year, that's 17 habits you could change. Imagine how you could feel next March heading in to spring. Imaging what you could be wearing and where you could be heading on holidays because you feel better able for it now.

You say you don't like to exercise. You can lose weight without exercise, but you will be healthier if you exercise. Start with food, and other habits, you might find you want to go out for walks or a cycle in a few months time. Don't view it as a limiting factor.

Suggested habits to start with, but someone suggested a nutritionist - I would strongly agree.
    1. Track all my food, without changing anything
    2. Replace 4pm biscuit / cake with an apple
    3. Reduce overall calorie intake by 100 calories a day. (if it was 2100, bring it down to 2000, etc..)
    4. Add protein to breakfast - e.g. eggs.

Good luck with this, you just need to stick with it! You'll get there in the end.