How to get abs for dummies

Options

Replies

• steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, ab exercises, HIIT twice a week, low intensity steady state cardio 5 to 6 times weekly, carb cycle.

No. Resistance training is far superior to steady state cardio.

I thought she was already doing resistance training. Do both.

Cardio is good for the heart and lungs, but not for abs.

Like others have posted above, compound lifts is where its at and lowering your BF to see visible abs. If you want abs, just cut cals. If you want a strong @ss core and abs, do both (squats/deadlifts)

As far as isolation work for the core, I do planks, L-sits (different forms), v-holds, things like that, once in a while.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-and-interval-training-part-1.html
    Nevermind that, over the decades, bodybuilders have gotten into contest shape with (often endless amounts of) cardio, runners, cyclists and swimmers are extremely lean, etc. Somehow, aerobic training has gotten a bad rap.

Can you lose fat doing cardio, of course, just like anything else in a calorie deficit.

Using Bodybuilders is not a good example, theses guys use cutters before a show, it's a bit different. Also, most of theses guys cut hardcore nutrition wise, weeks before. I can't tell you how many buddies I saw pass out at the gym, the weeks leading up to a show!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, ab exercises, HIIT twice a week, low intensity steady state cardio 5 to 6 times weekly, carb cycle.

Like others have posted above, compound lifts is where its at and lowering your BF to see visible abs. If you want abs, just cut cals. If you want a strong @ss core and abs, do both (squats/deadlifts)

As far as isolation work for the core, I do planks, L-sits (different forms), v-holds, things like that, once in a while.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-and-interval-training-part-1.html
    Nevermind that, over the decades, bodybuilders have gotten into contest shape with (often endless amounts of) cardio, runners, cyclists and swimmers are extremely lean, etc. Somehow, aerobic training has gotten a bad rap.

Can you lose fat doing cardio, of course, just like anything else in a calorie deficit.

Using Bodybuilders is not a good example, theses guys use cutters before a show, it's a bit different. Also, most of theses guys cut hardcore nutrition wise, weeks before. I can't tell you how many buddies I saw pass out at the gym, the weeks leading up to a show!

I may not have been as shredded as them, but I didn't do cardio leading up to my last competition. Just lifting, mostly compounds.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I've been doing compound lifts for years, and I can't get lean just with compounds and a calorie deficit, maybe because my body is use to lifting even if I progressively increase the weight to still be lifting heavy. Adding HIIT and steady state has definitely broken some plateaus. I never do cardio during a "bulking phase" so I don't have an aerobic adaption when I start cardio while dieting.

Perplexing. I just see it as a tool. If you can get lean without cardio, more power to you.
  • steve0820
    Options

I may not have been as shredded as them, but I didn't do cardio leading up to my last competition. Just lifting, mostly compounds.

Exactly!! The guys doing crazy cardio before a show, are probably trying to lose the last of the water and reach 2-3% BF, while eating a can of tuna a day haha, not pretty!!! It usually means they didn't start their cut early enough and have to shed what they can, like fighters do a day or 2 before a fight to make weight.
  • steve0820
    Options
    I've been doing compound lifts for years, and I can't get lean just with compounds and a calorie deficit, maybe because my body is use to lifting even if I progressively increase the weight to still be lifting heavy. Adding HIIT and steady state has definitely broken some plateaus. I never do cardio during a "bulking phase" so I don't have an aerobic adaption when I start cardio while dieting.

Perplexing. I just see it as a tool. If you can get lean without cardio, more power to you.

Everyone is different no doubt, and if that's what worked for you and getting over your plateau, then who can argue with that. Kudos Brother.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Maybe that "lifting heavy" is your problem. If you are cutting and doing a strength program you'd see slower results than a hypertrophy program. Also, does your "lifting heavy" include progressive overload or are you just lifting to lift? While picking things up and putting them down is great, there is just lifting and there is effective lifting for your goals.

By all means if you want to do cardio do cardio, but telling a young woman to do cardio every day during the week is significantly less effective than encouraging her to dedicate time to a hypertrophy program.
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Lol. Interesting where this thread has gone.

I plan on continuing my HIIT and adding on more strength training/planks. But out of curiousity if I were to start jogging more would that negatively effect my goal of abs? I need to build up to 5 miles jogging and I think I might start running every other day or so.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Why not just buy a dummy that already has abs?
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options

Maybe that "lifting heavy" is your problem. If you are cutting and doing a strength program you'd see slower results than a hypertrophy program. Also, does your "lifting heavy" include progressive overload or are you just lifting to lift? While picking things up and putting them down is great, there is just lifting and there is effective lifting for your goals.

By all means if you want to do cardio do cardio, but telling a young woman to do cardio every day during the week is significantly less effective than encouraging her to dedicate time to a hypertrophy program.

Always up the weight if I can break a rep range (progressive overload). Always write down the weight used and reps performed. I do a combination of strength and hypertrophy such as Ice Cream Fitness.

If she isn't doing some weight lifting program, I assume adding it would be a new form of stimulation for her which is good for fat loss. A high volume program with 60-90 seconds rest between sets should burn more calories than a standard beginner strength program. Still, if that isn't cutting it, adding cardio would be beneficial.
  • Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options

I plan on continuing my HIIT and adding on more strength training/planks. But out of curiousity if I were to start jogging more would that negatively effect my goal of abs? I need to build up to 5 miles jogging and I think I might start running every other day or so.

Only cause no one responded. :(

I need to do more running because my friends are forcing me to do a tough mudder in October. Will this ruin my ab goal?
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Only cause no one responded. :(

I need to do more running because my friends are forcing me to do a tough mudder in October. Will this ruin my ab goal?

Good question. A lot of people here seem to go by what Lyle McDonald of bodyrecomposition says. He's an endurance athlete, but for some reason he has also written material about building muscle and strength. So a lot of the answers you'll get on MFP are biased by his website (which to be fair does have some great info based on studies).

What you really need are people who do both running AND lifting to weigh in on this topic. I'm no longer a runner, so I can't help much in that respect.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    drop your body fat.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    drop your body fat.

Abs aren't all about dropping fat. I've always been in the 6-8% bodyfat range, but have had tiny abs. If you want them you have to build them too.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    drop your body fat.

Abs aren't all about dropping fat. I've always been in the 6-8% bodyfat range, but have had tiny abs. If you want them you have to build them too.

I agree...but don't you think it would be best to cut down to sub 12% body fat and then layer some muscle on that ...??/ Just curious...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

it just helps create a larger deficit. that's all.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    drop your body fat.

I agree...but don't you think it would be best to cut down to sub 12% body fat and then layer some muscle on that ...??/ Just curious...

For a woman (like OP)? I don't see the need to go that low. No one should force fat loss...we get to the elite levels over time. SLow and steady wins the race.

Speaking of which...she also wants to know if running moderate distances every other day or so will hurt her goal of improving her abs. I can't answer that, since I'm no longer a runner, and I never ran for distance even when I was. We need people who are both runners and lifters to weigh in...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    drop your body fat.

For a woman (like OP)? I don't see the need to go that low. No one should force fat loss...we get to the elite levels over time.

Btw, she also wants to know if running moderate distances every other day or so will hurt her goal of improving her abs. I can't answer that, since I'm no longer a runner, and I never ran for distance even when I was. We need people who are both runners and lifters to weigh in...

sorry, I was just referring to sub 12% as a generality ....should have clarified...
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    drop your body fat.

For a woman (like OP)? I don't see the need to go that low. No one should force fat loss...we get to the elite levels over time.

Btw, she also wants to know if running moderate distances every other day or so will hurt her goal of improving her abs. I can't answer that, since I'm no longer a runner, and I never ran for distance even when I was. We need people who are both runners and lifters to weigh in...

sorry, I was just referring to sub 12% as a generality ....should have clarified...

Apology accepted. And point taken. Thank you!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Running won't hurt abs. Compound lifts without isolation support will not result in particularly strong abs, but probably enough for aesthetic development.