3 weeks in and my biggest struggles!

Options
Hi, I'm a busy mom to two littles, I work 60+ hours a week, and run my own photography business in my spare time (which isn't much). I love to be outdoors, I would much rather go for a long bike ride than be in a gym. I'm finding it hard to juggle exercise and time. I am coming home from work and going for a bike ride but it cuts into my time for cooking dinner, doing homework,etc. I could squeeze in a workout in the house before work.... but what? What works for you busy parents? Do you have any tips? Also, I've noticed how people have been acting differently to me at work. It seems people were friendlier towards me when I was eating bad. Everyone at works goes out to eat together and orders food together, it's very clicky. When I politely say no thanks to donuts or Carl's Jr... they act mad about it. Maybe they think I am judging them, but it feels like they are judging me for choosing to be healthy! Has anyone experienced this type of thing? Needless to say, I don't have a lot of support and I would love some more encouraging friends, and I will be your friend too!

I would love any advice.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    run up and down stairs, if you have them. Get a kettlebell and do exercises with that while cooking.
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one who struggles! I've got an 8 month old and between her and work I dont feel I have much time left to exercise.
  • cloverfield4
    cloverfield4 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yep, full-time working mom of 2 kids here (ages 4 & 1). Trying to lose this weight may be the hardest thing I've done. Because it requires supreme dedication and prioritization! Are you married or do you have a roommate? If so, one thing that works in our household is trading off weekend evenings at the gym or for a run through the neighborhood. Hubs will get the kids going on dinner while I work out, and I'm still home in time for the bath time/bed time routine.

I also joined a gym closer to my work and have started fitting in lunchtime workouts. This is great for me, because I don't think I could handle getting up earlier (my kids already get up around 5am each morning). If you don't have a gym close by - do you have an office with a door you can close? If so, close that door and youtube some workout videos! If that's not an option, get outside and take a walk!

As far as the support at work, any time you change up the routine it'll take folks some time to adjust. Just put on your blinders and do what you need to do for you!

Good luck!
  • ladyasille
    Options
    Love those ideas, thanks!
  • ladyasille
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, you're doing an awesome job!
  • kanitap
    kanitap Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, keep up the work, I cook as soon as I get in for work...then when hubby leave for the night shift I pack the kids up and I do brisk walking for 30 mins while the two older, 7&3, walk or ride bikes and I push the 2 yr old on his bike with adult handles! Then after I put them to bed I do about 10more minutes of calisthenics before I pass out!! Lol hope it helps
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I love love love Fitness Blender workouts for quickies. (Fitnessblender.com). The way they design their videos makes it very easy to pause if a kid needs you or if you have to stir a pot on the stove. Check it out!

The walking with your kids idea that the PP mentioned is perfect, as it's good for them too AND you're spending time with them. Triple win.

As for the people at work, just let that one roll right off and don't give it a second thought. People with newly found health goals often get so wrapped up in their plan that they think everyone else cares about it too. They probably don't :)
  • olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Do you have a partner in the picture? Get them to take on the dinner/homework duties and go do your thing. Be "selfish". It's what I have done and my husband whines about it but I DGAF lol. I feel SO much better now that I'm making an effort for myself and being "selfish". :)
  • CoopMaybrymommy
    Options
    Hey!

I will definitely be your friend if you would like to add me! ;)

I too am a mom of 2 little ones (5 and 1) and my husband works a lot of weird hours, so I have the kids a lot by myself. It does make getting to the gym tricky (although I do make it to bootcamp at least 2 times a week - usually the early morning class while everyone is still asleep). But, my trainer has me doing little things in the nooks and crannies of my day. For example, everytime I go to the bathroom, I do 15 squats. If you think about how many times you go to the bathroom in a day...that is a lot of squats! :) (I also switch that to push ups or lateral leg lifts when I am at home). I also try to plank for 2 minutes as soon as I get up and right before I go to bed. I know it isn't as good as going to the gym...but on those busy days when you just can't fit it in, at least it is something. Now that the weather is getting nicer, I also like to pack the kids in the stroller and go for a couple mile walk. That way I am still getting time with my kids and my exercise too!

Good luck...I know how hard it is to make ourselves a priority!
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    youtube fitness blender jillian michaels
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the choice to live healthy! I'm also a working mom and have very little free time. It isn't easy, but it can be done. Just keep at it, and once all of this becomes part of your daily routine, it will become easier.
    As far as your Co workers, yeah a lot of people have the same issues. Its a shame that people get treated badly, for wanting a healthier lifestyle. But I think its just they know what they are eating is no good, but they don't want to do anything about it, so its easier to just form a click against it. Rather then putting in hard work themselves. But, once they see how committed you are, and see all your results, they may change their minds.
  • toovodz
    toovodz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm mum of two aged 11 and 2. I was struggling to get out to classes or the gym so I bought an exercise bike and HRM. Best thing I ever did! I don't watch tv anymore once they are in bed, I get on my bike, put my headphones on and pedal away the pounds! I love it and I'm averaging an hour and 500+ calories 5 days a week. 15 lb's lost since January and my body shape has changed. I log on every day. I've sent you a request. Sarah x
  • lisatrish
    lisatrish Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I use to come home watch the news then make supper. Now I come home and still watch the news but I put a workout video on my Kindle and workout while I'm watching the news. Youtube has some great workouts - Fitness Blender, Tae Bo, Jillian Michaels. You can even stick on one of the kids favorite shows on the television and while they are watching it workout in the same room. Good luck and remember the outcome is well worth some juggling of time.
  • ladyasille
    Options
    Thank you, these are all fantastic suggestions! I will check out the youtube videos and I actually went and bought a stationary bike so I can start doing that in the morning as well. :)

I love the idea about doing squats everytime I go to the bathroom!