Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

New to MFP

Good morning fellow losers of excess baggage.
I'm not sure why I am here really. I have always been one of those people that like to think I can do it all by myself, but.!
From what I have been reading on several posts here is that having some outside support can really make a difference.
So here I am. Wanting to loose the growing midriff and slowly encroaching man boobs.
I have never really watched what I eat, but always managed to keep my weight and fitness at a happy level 12.5~13 stone max, although in my 20s was 14 stone of muscle up to late 30s when I was a lean 12.5 stone mountain biking machine. And now. After having discs replaced in my neck and smashing my heal bone with a waist measuring 36inch I need to start watching what I eat and drink ( because beer is nice).
I have been watching and counting my calories over the past week and with my job (gardening) I am only managing to get between 500 & 1000 net, which is leaving energy levels quite low . I never seem to hit my carb, protein or other 'goals' and feel that I would have to eat twice as much. Surely this is defeating the object?
Oh what to do??
If anybody has any good advice and may wish to add me as a friend then please let me know.
I will stop rambling for now and look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers...
Ps..:-) ignore the 13lb loses. Confession time!! I took my clothes off for my second weigh in :-) surely I'm not the only 1 to have done this....?

Replies

• JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Request sent!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    This is always a surprise to people, but as we get older we have to move more, not less, and eat less too. This site has been great for me--I've been on a year now, and have learned so much. I am now in control and know exactly what I can afford to eat everyday. The combination of exercise and calorie counting is a real winner. Welcome and just follow the guidelines. You'll find you can eat the foods you like--nothing is really taboo, but you'll learn moderation. As for your calorie goals being hard to hit, you need to add some "calorie dense" foods mixed in with fruits and vegetables. Everyone needs to experiment for themselves, but may I suggest nuts as a snack several times a day? They're portable, and will up your calories, give you energy etc.
  • Hi Steve
    I sent a message but I'm still tring to navigate this thing so you may not get it.
    Anyway, I fell down a flight of stairs 18mths ago. Lots of damage so lots of excess weight. Like you, I used to cycle quite a bit. Hoping to get back to it.
    My problem is that I'm a good cook with a sweet tooth. My son and partner still want the good stuff so I've got to train myself not to taste too much.
    Anyway, let's hope we can survive this.
    Cheers
    Kate
  • stevevarley
    stevevarley Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks Kate.
    It is hard to pick yourself up after injury. I did it before and I aim to do it again. As a gardener I get quite a lot of exercise anyway but I need to keep it up in my down time. Fingers crossed and hard work ahead we can all reach our goals and set a positive change for the future.
  • BoiNeezy
    BoiNeezy Posts: 227 Member
    Add me if u like