How am i ment to do this?

Options
OK, I'm trying to pull ups and chin ups etc but i can not do them.
I tried the whole get a chair and left from there so to speak, but i wasnt really feeling any effects, so i looked up reverse pull ups
lowering myself down slowly and progress from there.....

here i've came into a problem, i.can.not.hold.myself.up well i can not even lower myself down i get to just fall down
even tried to just hold myself there without pulling myself up, or lowering myself down.

Replies

• workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    bump as id like to know this too!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Pullups are a challenge. I would focus on losing weight with strength training, cardio, and eating healthy. I didn't start doing pullups until I lost 47 pounds. Now I love them.

The less you weigh the better when it comes to doing pullups.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am here to see other responses also however essentially you just do not have the upper body strength yet. I assume that you want to do this at home? Some pilates exercises like holding the plank position help with shoulder muscles - I am sure there are going to be better suggestions for body weight exercises you can do at home that will help with upper body strength.
  • samsamsam420
    samsamsam420 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would work on your grip and general forearm strength, try performing grip exercises, strengthen your hands and forearms, also look at getting some gloves.
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Many people cannot do a pull-up/chin-up, and it comes from years of *not* doing them!

There's a whole whack of muscle groups in play: lats, biceps, shoulders, even your abs ... and of course the arm/wrist. If any of them don't yet have the strength to lift and/or hold your body weight, then the pull-up will be unsuccessful.

Here's a good example: when my kids were born, I probably couldn't walk over and simply pick up 80lbs. However, I started lifting a 5lb baby out of its car seat, crib, etc. As it grew I was lifting 8lbs, then 10, then 15, then 20 ... I was doing multiple reps per day, slowly increasing the amount I could lift (without even knowing it). Today I can easily walk over to my 80lb daughter and lift her right up - it's the same with lifting your own body off the floor, you have to build to it.

You'll have to start your strength training on each of the muscle groups noted above, slowly increasing their power until you're able to successfully lift your body weight
  • ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Start by building your upper body strength. Your arms are lifting your body weight. That is not going to happen without the upper body strength. Start with some simple weights and arm exercises. Also push ups will help build the strength. Women either lose their upper body strength first or just don't develop it to begin with.
  • Lemonshake
    Lemonshake Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My goal is just to do one pull up.
    I'm starting slow working on my upper body strength. Taking my time.
    Even walking took some time behind it. So we can't expect to do everything first go. We have to work towards it.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I can do chin-ups, but not unassisted pull-ups yet. This is a really good article on how to work up to pull-ups.

http://www.bodytribe.com/2013/01/17/how-women-can-do-pull-ups/