HRM?

Options
Hello Everyone,

I am sorry this is probably a really stupid question but I was wondering what is a HRM and how do you calculate your calories with it?

Replies

• mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor. Calories burned is a feature of some heart rate monitors.
  • lulusland
    lulusland Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    thank you mzenzer

do you know if this is something worth having?

do people make use of it
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it's absolutely essential. Once your calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate), which is basically how many calories you will burn if you slept for 24 hours, then you add your calories burned while exercising using your HMR, and you have a very accurate and clear understanding of how many calories you need to consume per day. It's a must have.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I just recently got a Polar FT60 & I love it. It's one w/ a chest strap (which I hear is more accurate). Tracks your heart rate & calories burned. Some even have gps on them to tell you how far you've gone (walking, running, etc). Well worth the money, in my opinion.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it's absolutely essential. Once your calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate), which is basically how many calories you will burn if you slept for 24 hours, then you add your calories burned while exercising using your HMR, and you have a very accurate and clear understanding of how many calories you need to consume per day. It's a must have.

I agree a HRM is helpful, however you need to realize you can't just take BMR plus exercise calories to get your total calorie burn per day - you also burn calories by doing normal activies (walking around the house, running errands, working,etc.) This is why MFP bases your calorie goal on your "normal daily calories burned" NOT on your BMR. Take your "normal daily calories burned" plus exercise calories to get your total calorie burn. MFP makes it easy - you just log your exercise calories (from your HRM) and it will tell you how much you should be eating.

Edited to add: to the OP - I agree with the others that a HRM (or bodybugg type device) is essential. Better estimate of calories burned while exercising than MFP's calculator or the gym machines. Well worth the investment.
  • lulusland
    Options
    wow thank you everyone

you are all very helpful

any recommendation on which is the best to buy
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Like I mentioned in my last post, I just got the Polar FT60. Have used it for 5 days so far... and so far, so good. I love it. Kinda expensive...and I didn't want to spend that much, but I also didn't want a piece of crap either. This one also has the chest strap to make it more accurate. Good luck!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6. I have had it 2 years and love it. Get a Polar - just do the research and decide which features and price range you want.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I did a bit of research and the Polar brand had the most consistently good reviews, and many people on here use them. I was willing to pay a bit more to get something that did more, and I wanted a user-replaceable battery, so I got the Polar FT40. A little less than the FT60 and does almost the same things. I love it so far, but haven't had it too long yet.
  • Katiekat1182
    Katiekat1182 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Great Advice everyone!!
  • lulusland
    Options
    thank you everyone... I'm going to take a look at the Polar and see which is best for me

:)