Flaxseed

Options
htimpaired
htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
I just wanted to see if this has happened to others.

A few years ago I had this one-month period where I would randomly become very sick in the AM, upset stomach/vomiting, and other...eh...GI symptoms. Had an emergency room visit, doctors appointments, no one could figure out what was wrong. The only thing I could pinpoint was consistent with each of these events was that this happened after eating cranberry and flaxseed oatmeal. So I stopped eating it.

Yesterday same symptoms happened. I felt better like nothing ever happened around 1pm, just like those times years back. I checked the ingredients on the bag of new granola I bought, and there was flaxseed in it. So now I'm thinking it's got to be some sensitivity to flaxseed. I googled it and it does appear that for some people flaxseed can cause GI distress. Safe to say it's on my do not eat list.

Anyone else?

Replies

• AnneeeLicious
    AnneeeLicious Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yikes, never experienced anything like that, but then again I've never had flaxseeds. Good you figured it out! :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It doesn't affect me nearly as harshly as you but I definitely get some bloating and discomfort after eating certain things that contain flaxseed. Seems to depend on level of processeing.
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I actually had severe stabbing stomach pains after adding ground flaxseed to my yogurt for the first time. I went right to a tablespoon of it, which was probably too much.I read on another board that you should start small taking flax as higher amounts could cause stomach upset and constipation in some people if taken in high doses. I have a gluten free oatmeal that has flax in it that I have been eating this week and I seem to be ok with that. You could be sensitive to flax, or it could just be too much of it too soon. I would stay away from it if it is causing this much discomfort.
  • akillilea0812
    Options
    That's great that you can pinpoint what it is!! The bummer with food/nutrition is you never know. Something that everyone else can eat might affect you differently. I use the whole seeds and have had no problem with them, but everyone is different.