how do drinking water help?

Options
i know im ment to drink 8 glasses of water a day ( im getting there) but do drinking water help to stop water retention as i've got it bad at the mo and im drinking may be six out of my eight a day. im right near the TOM would that effect it?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You will retain less water if you drink more. I know it sounds odd, but when you're not drinking enough, your body holds onto more water weight to keep you from becoming dehydrated. Here is a great article about why water is so important:

http://www.experiencelifemag.com/issues/june-2010/wellness/drink-to-your-health.php (Especially scroll down to the "why water matters" section!)

Your monthly cycle will influence water weight too, but you should do your part by drinking enough, which should help at least some.
  • brockly25
    Options
    i though the same so i looked it up and this is what i found over and over on the net ....

People who are trying to lose weight are often told to try to drink more water. This is because water is filling, so it can help a person to keep a person’s appetite at bay. Additionally, the process of digesting ice water can burn calories by doing nothing. Water is the healthiest drink anyone can ingest. Lastly, Weight Ladder found the hard way what happens when you exercise without adequate hydration – you don’t want to repeat that experience.

Many people resist drinking a lot of water for a variety of reasons. Some people claim that they don’t like the taste of water; others say that they simply must have certain other beverages in order to make it through the day (such as coffee or tea or soda). This shouldn’t be an excuse – one can always add a low-calorie sweetener like Crystal Light.

How Much Water Should I Drink
    Water is essential, though—especially for dieters, yes, but it is necessary for everyone. Every human needs to drink a certain amount every day. This figure is different for each person, though most people have heard that eight 8 ounce glasses is the ideal. That amount is not the ideal; rather, it is the average amount.

Though experts disagree on the optimal amount of water, we’ve found many feel this formula is a good guideline. Take the person’s weight and divide it in half. This figure represents how many ounces of water this person should ingest each day. Of course, about 20% of this amount is generally figured to be ingested through foods—many foods are composed of high amounts of water, such as soups and many fruits. So, take the figure and subtract 20% of it to come to the real amount.

Related Websites• Callaway Nikon Rangefinders
    • What are the Benefits of Surfing?
    • Clarifications About GDP And The "Consumption Economy"

Related Articles• Can the South Beach Diet Supercharge Your Weight Loss?
    • How to Pick the Right Gym
    • How Do You Measure your Body
    Here’s an example:
    Let’s say a person weighs 240 pounds. Half of that is 120, so that would be 120 ounces. 20% of 120 is 24 (this is the amount of water this person gets from his food), so subtract 24 from 120 (120 – 24 = 96). So, this person needs to drink 96 ounces per day, which translates to 12 8 ounce glasses.

Tips for Drinking All that Water
    Here’s how you can get that water into one day:

•First thing in the morning, right after getting out of bed, drink a glass of water. Guzzle it down.
    •Drink another glass slowly while getting dressed and ready for the day.
    •Before eating anything, whether it is a snack or a meal, drink a full glass of water. Not only will this help you ingest the right amount of water, but it can help you to eat less because you will feel fuller.
    •Keep a large water bottle (at least 24 ounces) filled and next to you at all times. Sip on it throughout the day.
    Lastly, be careful not to drink too much water. People might not realize it, but too much water can lead to water intoxication, as one woman and radio station found out the hard way.
  • turbojanem
    Options
    there are many factors that will cause you to retain water:
    sodium intake (uncontrollable when you eat out or eat processed/prepared foods)
    dehydration will cause you to retain because your body is storing up in fear that it won't get any soon (like your metabolism needs food to keep working)
    your female cycle will cause you to retain too.

be careful not to overload on water. the average person only needs 8 glasses of water. if you drink excess amounts of water you WILL overwork your kidneys and do kidney damage. everyone says drink enough water. but the medical field fails to warn people that you will end up in kidney failure if you drink to much!

when i am consuming my 8 glasses of day and still feel really thirsty i look at my food intake...typically i need to increase my fresh fruit and veggies. ...they are great sources of water too.

a couple signs of dehydration: thirst, dry skin, dry cuticles, constipation, and the skin on your arm does not go down fast when you to the pinch test. Dr. OZ had a great segment this week on dehydration.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry honestly about drinking TOO MUCH water. Your kidneys, from what I have read, have the ability to process 15 liters of water a day (which equals 63 cups).

Drinking water helps get rid of the water weight. Definitely drink as much as you can.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    be careful not to overload on water. the average person only needs 8 glasses of water. if you drink excess amounts of water you WILL overwork your kidneys and do kidney damage. everyone says drink enough water. but the medical field fails to warn people that you will end up in kidney failure if you drink to much!

It actually takes A LOT for a person to have negative effects from drinking too much water (other than going to the bathroom a lot!), unless someone is doing extreme exercise like running a marathon. It is much better to drink a little too much than not enough. 8 glasses is NOT enough for everyone, especially if you exercise a lot. THings like altitude, climate and your own body impact your water needs as well. I ended up at the doctor's with chest pains this summer - it ended up being due to dehydration (despite the fact that I was drinking 7-9 glasses a day - my needs were higher!)

Please don't discourage people from drinking adequate water - Our bodies are capable of processing about 30 oz. of water AN HOUR - only if you exceed this will you have problems. (again, that is in a healthy individual who is not running a marathon or something of that nature - when engaging in that type of activity, your kidney's ability to process water decreases temporarily.) The key is to spread the water out throughout the day.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

The reason you aren't warned is because this takes a concentrated effort to achieve. It's common in people that compulsively drink water rather than people that are making an effort to drink more water.

I drink 16-20 glasses of water a day.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    yes, drink your water, yes it helps with water retention, and sometimes if its TOM, drinking water wont help with that at all. but its still good for you and you should still be drinking it.

its also SUPER hard to drink too much water, practically impossible if you're one of those people that are trying hard to drink water. and just overloading on water once in your life will not shut down your kidneys it will just make you feel drunk :/