Excess Weight & Career

Options
Just thought I would take a poll....how many people feel that their weight has negatively impacted their career? Can "big" people get ahead?

Replies

• HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Options
    "Big" people can, but it's a lot harder than "slim" people. The world is full of judgmental and superficial people... no matter what field you're in. :ohwell:
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have been heavy for the last 10 years. I know having the extra pounds made me more self conscious at work and uncomfortable meeting new people.

I feel much more confident since I've dropped some of the excess weight. I feel better about myself and that has got to help in career and all aspects of life.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I think it is a lot harder to succeed. Rather than going into my own personal experiences, I'll just say that it has been shown in numerous social experiments that overweight people are discriminated against in job interviews and career situations. I've certainly seen it happen in my jobs -- both with overweight people and anyone else who didn't fit the office culture, even if that culture changed after they were hired.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I have gotten several very good jobs despite being overweight. I think people have taken me for who I am and what I can do but I think it has affected my confidence at times. I feel that the combination of weight and age is something that will be a handicap in this economy as I look for work. That is why I am in school while there are no jobs updating my skills and it is also part of my motivation for getting exercise and losing weight.
  • StephieWheats
    StephieWheats Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    "Big" people can, but it's a lot harder than "slim" people. The world is full of judgmental and superficial people... no matter what field you're in. :ohwell:

I strongly agree! It sucks really bad but it is the truth.