Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lifting: how long did it take for your body to adjust?

hfester
hfester Posts: 114 Member
The background: I'm on week three of NROL4W. I lift three times per week and love the workouts. I've upped my protein to about 165g / day. I do TDEE -10% or so, so I take in about 1850-1950 calories a day.

The issue: I am feeling SWOLL, but not in a good way. The scale is up by several pounds, which I expected and is not causing panic because I know it's water from the diet change and from the recovery process.

The question: how long did it take for you to stop feeling so puffy and for your body to adjust to lifting? When did you start feeling like a svelte goddess instead of the Stay-Puffed Marshmallow Man? Anything I can do to alleviate the feeling?

Replies

• charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    I am doing NR4W too and I felt the same way at first.
    A few thoughts....

Are you drinking enough water? I upped my water to at least 10-12 glasses a day.
    Make sure you are eating enough. I set my calories to 1400 and I eat back most of my workout calories too.
    Give it time. I panicked when I added the workouts and didn't lose for a few weeks. A wise person told me to give any changes 4-6 weeks before judging. I am so glad that I kept going and didn't worry about the scale because I am seeing huge results in inches and body fat lost and even some on the scale. I think I pretty much stalled on the scale for about 3-4 weeks though. Take measurements - I saw progress there earlier.
    That initial puffy feeling only took a week or two for me, but everyone is different.
  • hfester
    I think you've got a good point about drinking more water. I usually get about six to eight cups, but with all the demands I'm placing on my body, I probably need more.

Trying to adjust to all this protein has me pretty unbalanced. I find myself fantasizing about fruits and leafy greens. I have been so focused on the chicken breasts and tuna that I've neglected my veggies. It's a learning curve which I'll figure out eventually, I'm sure!
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Do you use whey protein powder? It helps a lot. I am not naturally a big meat eater and I have had a difficult time hitting such a high protein level too. Some argue that you can get away with less - he aims really high. I am too new to know.

The water is vital. I am not naturally a water drinker and it made such a difference when I made it my focus.
  • rosetat74
    rosetat74 Posts: 32 Member
    The protein powder is a great idea. It can be so versatile! Put it in a fruit smoothie and then you can lessen those fruit cravings... you can add it to greek yogurt with a spoonful of unsweetened cocoa powder for a protein pudding if you're low for the day. I've added it to pancake mix, oatmeal... you name it. That way you're not eating too much meat. I find that upping my protein grams dehydrates me if I don't also up my water intake as well.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    After you introduce any new workout do not weigh yourself for 2-4 weeks...you will always see a gain which is all water.

I do TDEE-15%...and it works great...

I do have to ask about your protien tho...I weigh 160lbs with BF% of 24-26% and only require 120g (per bf)

Typically the suggestion is 1g of protien for each pound of Lean body mass not total mass...

I manage all my protien (sometimes going way over) without powders or bars...it can be done within 1600-1700 calories.
  • hfester
    I'm going by the protein rec made on the iifym.com calculator. To be honest, right now I'm kind of experimenting. I know that before I was too low (around 60g per day) and I feel like 165g/day is high, but I wanted to give it a chance if it will truly complement the NROL4W program.

The pros of it are that I am not very hungry. The con seems to be that I feel like I'm eating like a linebacker and feeling like one, too.
  • hfester

I do have to ask about your protien tho...I weigh 160lbs with BF% of 24-26% and only require 120g (per bf)

Typically the suggestion is 1g of protien for each pound of Lean body mass not total mass...

This is what I thought should be my goal, too. I am around the same size. I think that in trying to learn what my number should be, I've gotten confused. I supposed I'll figure it out through trial and error.