Make cupcakes with less calories!

LittleMissAngi
LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/09/23/blackberry-champagne-cupcakes?icid=main|main|dl3|sec3_lnk3|172876

Ingredients:
2/3 cup butter
1 cup sugar (or 1/2 cup Splenda)
1 1/2 cups white cake flour
1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup sweet champagne
6 egg whites
12 ounces blackberries
Frosting:
1/4 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup Neufchatel cream cheese
1 tablespoon champagne
1 tablespoon blackberry jam
1 cup powdered sugar (or 1 1/2 cups Splenda and 4 tablespoons cornstarch)
Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line muffin tins with paper cup wrappers.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Sift together the cake flour, pastry flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into the butter and sugar mixture slowly, alternating with champagne.
4. In another large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold in half of the egg whites to lighten the batter. Then fold in the remaining egg whites.
5. Evenly divide into muffin tins until they are about two-thirds full. Top the batter of each cup with one blackberry.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
7. To make the frosting, combine the yogurt, cream cheese, champagne and blackberry jam. Beat until smooth. Add half of the powdered sugar and continue to beat. Add the additional sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Chill to thicken further.
8. Once the cupcakes are cool, spread with frosting and top with another blackberry.
Makes: 24 regular-sized (3-inch diameter) cupcakes
Nutrition Content (per cupcake):
164 calories, 5 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 27g carbohydrates, 14 g sugars, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein, 256 mg sodium
Note: Using Splenda instead of sugar will reduce the calories to 125, sugars to 3 g and the carbohydrates to 17 g

Replies

• Too many ingredients for me. :laugh:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Or just take any standard box of cake mix and use 12 ounces of diet soda instead of eggs and oil.

strawberry cake with diet sprite is good, as is carrot cake mix with diet ginger ale.
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Sounds good, but I need stuff fast and not alot of prep time :(

I buy boxed cake mix, sub the oil for unsweet applesauce and use egg beaters instead of eggs, cuts calories down to 90-95 per cupcake and fat to 1-2g depending on cake mix..I get 24 muffins out per box
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    very interesting with the soda. I'll have to try it.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    thank you for taking the time to post this!

My soul needs to bake and it is not always satisfied by a box mix, although sometimes my cravings are.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,447 Member
    I can respect it.. I work in a bakery and am a chef by trade, those sound AMAZING!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    These look really yummy. I, too, have been doing Hungry Girl cupcakes but missing the frosting. Here is a way to have a real family treat once in awhile!
  • ohhhh the baker in me is jumping for joy! meaning i'm actually jumping for joy (ok fine bouncing in my chair) these look soooo delicious. i must make them! :D
  • boogie17
    boogie17 Posts: 103 Member
    Or just take any standard box of cake mix and use 12 ounces of diet soda instead of eggs and oil.

strawberry cake with diet sprite is good, as is carrot cake mix with diet ginger ale.

really i didn't know u could use soda instead of eggs and oil.. so gonna have to get a strawberry cake now and some diet sprite
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member

really i didn't know u could use soda instead of eggs and oil.. so gonna have to get a strawberry cake now and some diet sprite

it's a weight watcher's thing... they are pretty tasty and moist. Each serving is 1 point, not sure of the calorie count
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Champagne is really high in alcohol volume and that can seriously pit your efforts down the drain so I'll pass... Haven't tried the soda thing yet but littlespy says it's good and I believe her ^_^
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Another neat one to try is replacing the oil & eggs with a large can up pumpkin in a chocolate cake mix.
    It does not make the cake taste like pumpkin but it does add protein & remove fat.
  • joyfulmommaof2
    joyfulmommaof2 Posts: 95 Member
    I will have to try these!
This discussion has been closed.