Your top reason(s) why you fell off track??

Options

Replies

• QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Kids activities, Working fulltime while opening another business, went back to get my Masters, life...

I turn 40 this year and I refuse to be 40 and frumpy! I am going to finally do something for ME!

Happy to have more friends here on MFP to keep me motivated and hopefully so I can help motivate you!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple. Laziness. I'm not gonna say life got in the way or whatever. Laziness.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Good post as I'm taking accountability TODAY for my falling off track. Right now, I can think of these two reasons as to why I'm off.

1. Biggest reason I fall off track is emotional reasons. When I get stressed, upset, anxious, depressed, etc., I eat to comfort myself. And I tend to binge eat (though no purging). There's been a heck of a lot of stress in my life right now, including physical issues that limit exercise.

2. I went back to my hometown to visit family a couple weeks ago, and that will almost always get me off track if I'm there for more than a couple days, because I slip back into old habits: no exercise, bad, bad food choices (fried cheese curds, fish fry, frozen custard, etc.). And now, once I've broken my healthy habits, the bad ones stuck. ETA: I find once I'm on a bad track that I start to give up. "Oh, I've already f*'ed up, what does it matter anymore? Give me more cookies."

This changes today. One step at a time, but I will regain my healthy habits.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Starbucks Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate and Banana Walnut Bread

Uhh YUM, that would get me off track too!

For me it was an overuse injury in my knee followed by a back injury...I had to cut back my workouts almost entirely, and after awhile of that my motivation died and my eating habits got sloppy. Only bad enough to maintain, though, thankfully, and now I'm back on track!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Reasons why I fall off the wagon (repeatedly!):
    - cravings
    - lack of willpower
    - pain/physical injuries
    - i just plain love to eat

Reasons I keep getting back on:
    - I hate feeling fat and bloated
    - I need to prove to myself I can do this

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. And again. And again. And again... so that's what I'm doing.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Laziness
  • SweetLilyR
    SweetLilyR Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    *Emotional eating
    *Stress - LOTS of stress
    *Laziness
    *Joint and back pain
    *Alcohol and "other" munchies (especially in my college years)
    *Dating men and eventually marrying one who are all REALLY good in the kitchen
    *Demolished my left knee in high school, had reconstructive surgery and after that, hating the mandatory brace I am supposed to use when exercising…which no longer fits anyway!
  • scrudgy
    scrudgy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Off track
    Thinking that I could treat myself to a few glasses of wine without getting the munchies (wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong)
    Traveling on business trips staying in hotels with poor menu choices.
  • Job change gone bad
    No job for 2 months
    New pain in hip
    Marriage on the rocks
    Overwhelmed with life in general

This was July to September...

New Job that I love
    New diagnosis of hamstring tendonitis/hip arthritis, treated and pain free now
    Marriage Rock solid...

This is January to current...back on track and happy with results I have seen...
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    -Emotional/stressful times caused me to not care
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I didn't totally fall off, but gained a few during a 5 week snowbird vacation. A few extra drinks and people around who snack constantly, plus a week long road trip eating out on the way home will do that. BUT, I knew what I was doing, and I know that I can't ever not pay attention to my eating and exercise. I'm getting back on my plan because I don't want to undo the work of the last couple of years. Plus, it's time to get out of the "overweight" category by getting the last pounds off.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    1. 1200 calories
    2. "I ate too much at lunch so I might as well take the rest of the day off"
    3. "I ate too much today so I might as well take the rest of the week off"
    4. 1200 calories
    5. 1200 calories
    6. Eating out a lot
    7. Weighing in every day and stressing myself because of weight fluctuations
    8. 1200 calories
  • Betty_Rubble
    Betty_Rubble Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I had maintained an almost 80 pound weight loss many years, but over the last two have managed to pack on about 35 pounds (lost 8 since I joined MFP):

- lots of changes going on in my life, including illness, buying a home, getting engaged, moving in with fiancé, starting a new job, caring for ill parent, etc
    - alcohol use is my number one diet wrecker, but hey, I like having a few drinks on the weekends so I need to keep my eating and exercise TIGHT
    - laziness, not caring
  • linkirving
    linkirving Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs 4 years ago. I stopped because my body looked almost exactly the same. My face looked thinner, but I was just not seeing a difference. The girl I was with at the time didn't even notice. I lost 70lbs and she didn't even notice! I got bummed and just stopped losing weight. Luckily I didn't gain anything back. I found MFP in February and I am here to finish what I started, and for better reasons(health instead of vanity). 45 lbs to go!
  • stormninja11
    Options
    Fall off track:
    Tired of tracking/being mindful of what I eat
    Cravings and then not being able to moderate them
    "Well, I screwed up today...so might as well take the week off!"
    And sometimes I question WHY I am doing this and have doubts as to if it really matters. So if it doesn't matter, then who cares, right? This actually is probably my biggest challenge.

Getting back on:
    Somehow I always seem to track even when I go off course (a little OCD I guess)
    Like that I can buy smaller clothes
    Actually found that I like to exercise
    I do FEEL better
  • pitafitness
    Options
    RESTRICTIVE CALORIES!!! Now, i'm eating over 2000 and finally loosing the rest of my weight..!!!
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Off Track
    1) All or nothing mindset - a big one and very defeatist for me.
    2) Stress and/or depression - I eat for self comfort and hard to stop once I start.
    3) Unfocused - I wanted it but was not committed to it.
    4) Lack of patience to see it through - when I don't see results 'fast enough' I quit.
    5) Habits - like I eat a ton of food *while* I'm cooking - or I eat after my kids instead of throwing it away. I eat while I'm doing the dishes.

On Track
    1) Ditched that all or nothing perfectionist mindset.
    2) Have to find ways of self comfort that does not include food - work in progress.
    3) Real commitment - other issues have resolved or changed so this is both possible and I'm in right frame of mind.
    4) Committed to a length of time - not a final result. One year. I will keep going for one full year no matter what.
    5) Recognize the habits and work at changing them. Logging food and paying attentiong to how much/when I eat really helps.
  • Empty_Calories
    Empty_Calories Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple. Laziness. I'm not gonna say life got in the way or whatever. Laziness.

Yep. Wish I had some big elaborate story but this pretty much sums it up.

I did well with MFP a few years ago but what threw me off track again was trying to log meals when I went out to eat. Could never find a good match which lead to incomplete days which lead to missed days which lead to not logging in for a year+. Now that I'm back, I've vowed not to miss a day.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    For me:
    Off Track:
    1. No time to workout-busy with full time job, rentals, and my stationery side business, house and animal upkeep
    2. Stressful times-work overload, loss of family & close friend, husbands motorcyle accident (all in a 2yr time frame)
    3. Constantly going out to eat/having food ordered in
    4. Not counting calories

On Track
    1. Making time to work out at least 3 times a week
    2. Signed up for 5k races to get me motivated to run again, running with friends
    3. Getting better about not having the house look perfect all the time
    4. Seeing my friends excell in their workouts and weight loss-great motivator
    5. weighing and tracking my food again
    6. Limiting eating out to 1x a week if not once every 2 weeks.
    7. Hating the way I look in pictures at friends weddings and other events-workout motivator
  • lily_swenson
    lily_swenson Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I used to have a binge/purge problem.. which didn't exactly make me gain weight BUT made me feel like s**t!
    Whcih is why I'm here. Eating healthy and exercising is a whole lot easier and more fun than constant lies, alienation and dirty toilets :laugh: Also, I have been feeling MUCH better with the nice weather!