Protein for weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• brboydjr
    brboydjr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    High-protein foods take more work to digest, metabolize, and use, which means you burn more calories processing them. They also take longer to leave your stomach, so you feel full sooner and for a longer amount of time. The cumulative effect has obvious benefits for anyone who is watching her weight.
    But, the key to losing weight is burning more calories than you consume.

I upped my protein intake, but I lift every other day and do cardio about 5-6 times a week. I have been losing weight, but I also watch what I eat and reduced my carb intake slightly. Eating protein meals helps you feel fuller so you don't have to eat more calories than you need. I try to eat protein with every meal so I am not craving foods at night or hungry at night. I usually drink a protein shake after my workouts.

I found this...

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/what-eat-before-during-after-exercise?page=2
    Why do you need to eat protein or drink protein shakes after exercising?

Muscles need protein for recovery and growth, and the best time to deliver protein appears to be right after exercise. Providing high-quality protein after exercise gives your muscles the fuel and the building blocks needed for both repair and for growth.
    Protein shakes and powders carry a certain allure, but your muscles don’t care if the protein comes from a hard-boiled egg, glass of chocolate milk or whey protein shake. Whatever you choose, more isn’t better -- only 10 to 20 grams of protein is needed to provide amino acids (the building blocks of protein) to muscles.

This!
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat *more* protein than you need (0.8 - 1.2g /kg of body weight), theres no real NEED or benefit to go above and beyond, though many do...

The important thing is to have protein at every meal and snack. It helps to keep you feeling full through out the day and therefore it becomes easier to eat a restricted calorie diet. I think thats what they mean when they say protein helps you lose weight but in the most basic sense reduced calories are more important for losing weight. Protein just helps keep us full :)

Edit: Be careful with these "recovery drinks" if you feel its necessary try adjusting your regular meals or snacks to fall after a workout. Often times the recovery drinks that go above and beyond our normal meals are high enough calories to TOTALLY negate your energy expended during exercise. Think a 500ml container of chocolate milk is about 400 cal. ridiculous! Just be CAUTIOUS about recovery protein. IMO its only beneficial if you're lifting heavy.
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I use the cheap-o stuff from Walmart, and 1 scoop is 150 calories, but it has 30g of protein.

It's cheap, the protein/fat/calorie is good, and it gets the job done. Highly recommended.