Heavy lifting NSV-- goodbye scale, you sneaky liar!

Options
SandraNancy
SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
Dear Scale,

We've had a lot of ups and downs, you and I. For many years, it was just ups (pounds, that is. You just kept inching higher and higher).

a3444a2c-8699-4b8e-bc08-fa2ba65a3f17_zps91e3d21d.jpg

Then there was that great transition 3.5 years ago where I got serious about not being lazy and no longer considered a bottle of wine with cheese and crackers to be a "pretty good" dinner. You and I rocketed down to 130 from 160 in about 5 months. What a heady time that was!

[img]http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af84/cubehandgirl/Facebook/Adventures in Thailand Part 1/801465a5-134c-4849-b10d-974406eca8a4_zpse4ffd163.jpg[/img]

Over the past few years, though, I've started to feel like something has changed. I come to you for validation, and you give me frustration instead. I improve my diet to include more than just soup, eggs and protein shakes, and find myself at 135. Okay, no problem, 130 was probably a bit low for me (the dreaded skinny fat!).

A few more years, fewer days working out, and a few more pounds, and here we are at 140. Starting to look a little soft in the midsection again, my friend. You're telling me stories I don't want to hear.

April2013front_zps26cb7cb3.jpg

So I start heavy lifting. I really love it! Within two weeks, my butt looks higher. Two more weeks, and it's definitely perkier, rounder, and firmer.

After 6 weeks my shoulders are looking more muscular, my thighs are firmer, I'm lifting more and more and feeling great. Even that difficult midsection of mine is looking flatter, and I'm starting to see a hint of (maybe? Could it be?) definition in my tummy. My waist is nearly an inch smaller than 6 weeks ago! Surely you, my long-time companion, will reward me with a number that reflects these amazing changes!

145. 145 pounds, 5 pounds higher than when I started.

Disbelief, anger, bargaining and now-- acceptance. It's over between us, dear Scale. You were useful once, but now I've made some new friends: the mirror, and the measuring tape. They give me a true reflection of the work I've been putting in, and I'll have to trust their guidance from now on.

March2014front_zps007baa2f.jpg

Enjoy your corner of the basement.

Sincerely,
Former Scale Junkie

Replies

• EreborsPrincess
    Options
    You look fantastic!!

You're really giving me the motivation to get serious about lifting - thanks! :)
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I love it! Congrats on your amazing progress!
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Awesomeness!
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! You look awesome.....
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB!! :drinker:
  • SandraNancy
    Options
    You look fantastic!!

You're really giving me the motivation to get serious about lifting - thanks! :)

Thank you! I can't say enough about it. I feel pretty badass being able to lift heavier things, and seeing new muscles start to emerge. If you're even considering it, I'd say DO IT! :)
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Nice story. :) Keep it up!
  • TamiHudson
    TamiHudson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    That was aweosme!! I am in the tail end of chaLEAN Extreme, which is a 3-month program all about lifting heavier. I totally know the scale-issues of which you speak. Your post was exactly what I needed to read today!!!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    BODY RECOMP ROCKS!!!!!!!!
    Thumbs up and I hope we can keep posting these stories so that more of us will release ourselves from scale bondage!!!
  • Avarindria
    Avarindria Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!! :flowerforyou:
  • hughjass783
    hughjass783 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So needed this today, I've been in a bit of a slump this week. Congrats on your progress!!
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    That was awesome!!:smile:
  • dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This is really inspirational! I know I get too caught up in what number is on the scale, then wonder why my body doesn't look like I think it should. I'm getting close to the point where I'll be adjusting my workouts to cut down on my cardio and add in strength training, so I hope my results are similar to yours!

If you don't mind me asking, did you follow a specific program for your weight lifting or did you put something together yourself?
  • sjbtiger
    sjbtiger Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!

I have hidden my scale until at least April 1st because it was completely messing with my head! I'm getting ready to start my third week of lifting and love it!
  • SandraNancy
    Options
    This is really inspirational! I know I get too caught up in what number is on the scale, then wonder why my body doesn't look like I think it should. I'm getting close to the point where I'll be adjusting my workouts to cut down on my cardio and add in strength training, so I hope my results are similar to yours!

If you don't mind me asking, did you follow a specific program for your weight lifting or did you put something together yourself?

I'm the same way! I was initially really bummed about the 145 number on the scale, but when I looked at the picture of me at 140 and the picture of me at 145, I liked what I saw in the "heavier" picture. Sometimes you need a visual punch in the face to see what's in front of you!

I've been following the Strong Lifts 5x5 program, and recommend it highly. I like it because it's easy, and there are really only 5 exercises to remember. It doesn't take long to do (maybe 25-30 minutes, including a few minutes rest between sets) so it's hard to make the "I don't have time" excuse. You do it three times a week.

In the past few weeks I've been adding in circuit training for about 20 minutes twice a week, just to get a bit of a cardio-ish work out in. Again, something I can do quickly, and at home, so there's no excuse for me not to do it!
  • SandraNancy
    Options
    You look awesome!

I have hidden my scale until at least April 1st because it was completely messing with my head! I'm getting ready to start my third week of lifting and love it!

Good for you! I know the scale is a valuable tool for those looking to drop weight, but once you're close to or at your goal weight, I feel like the scale becomes an instrument of torture. :P
  • SandraNancy
    Options
    BODY RECOMP ROCKS!!!!!!!!
    Thumbs up and I hope we can keep posting these stories so that more of us will release ourselves from scale bondage!!!

Yes yes and YES! Scale bondage is exactly what it is. It sounds silly to say that I look better at 145 than I did at 130, but now I have curves and definition and feel like a rock star when I push out that last bench press at a new weight. Body recomp!
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    that was a good read.. i meant story
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Highly inspiring!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!