Do I really need to exercise?

Good morning to you all... I have a question ... can someone still achieve their weight loss goals without exercising? I am a Hskp supv at a small motel here in our area. Most days I am working by myself, so that means I do it all....cleaning the rooms, doing the daily laundry, and cleaning the common areas of the motel, etc. When I get home late afternoon, the last thing I want to do is exercise...

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Yes, you can lose weight without exercise.
    But if you're losing weight for any aesthetic reasons, you will not be happy with how you look.
    Weight loss without exercise creates sagging skin, and you often loose lean muscle along with fat.

Edit - also don't you want to be healthy, not just smaller?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    You don't "need" to exercise. It just helps - and helps with body composition as you lose weight.

Seeing as you are active with your job - and especially as housekeeping - you probably don't have to worry about that at all. You're doing enough moving around and lifting things such that you should be fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    You can lose weight with diet alone...that's the way MFP is set up...your calorie goal is a deficit from your theoretical non exercise maintenance number which is why when you do exercise, you get those calories to "eat back".

While you can lose weight with no exercise, I wouldn't recommend it. Regular exercise is pretty much essential to your overall health and well being...even just a 30 minute walk 5 days per week does wonders for you overall health.

You have a pretty active job, so at least you're moving...but I'd suggest at least a walk 5 days per week just to clear your head and for getting in a good sustained increase in your heart rate.
  • boombalatty123
    boombalatty123 Posts: 116 Member
    So far all my weight loss has been without exercise, although I do plan to start next week now that the weather isn't continually gross and I'll have time to commit to it. It sounds like your day to day life is plenty active, so watching calories may be most of what you need to be successful.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,123 Member
    Yes, you can lose weight without exercise.
    But if you're losing weight for any aesthetic reasons, you will not be happy with how you look.
    Weight loss without exercise creates sagging skin, and you often loose lean muscle along with fat.

Edit - also don't you want to be healthy, not just smaller?

Agreed. "Skinny fat" is usually what you see when you do one and not the other. However, if you're moving around alot at work you could probably get away with doing a 15-20min lifting session a few times a week. Invest in a set of adjustable dumbbells. The biggest thing is you definately want to do some kind of strength training to prevent from losing your LMM. Good luck!
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Good morning to you all... I have a question ... can someone still achieve their weight loss goals without exercising? I am a Hskp supv at a small motel here in our area. Most days I am working by myself, so that means I do it all....cleaning the rooms, doing the daily laundry, and cleaning the common areas of the motel, etc. When I get home late afternoon, the last thing I want to do is exercise...

You could look into an HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) that would let you know how many calories you are burning during your work. From there you might be able to push yourself during some of your cleaning activities so that you get your heart rate up a little more. One thing is likely though that your body could become used to the repetitive movements and you might need to switch it up a little. Do you have stairs at the motel that you could regularly climb and try to take more of them or go at a faster pace from time to time? Just some ideas!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    I also have a pretty active life but I exercise to clear my head, increase endurance and gain strength. Exercising might help you with your job. But that's just my opinion.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    It sounds like you may be exercising a lot already. A physical job should count toward your overall calorie burn, and, depending on your job, you may get in some hidden strength training along the way.

When you come home tired, are you physically tired or mentally tired? If you're just tired from your idiotic coworkers or job you can't stand, then hey. A little time on the old treadmill, or lifting some weights, or whatever else, can be a good thing. It can help clear your head and improve your body / muscle tone. If you're tired from the physical exertion, then you probably already have your answer.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Cleaning and making beds etc is a really good work out so sounds to me as though you're active enough - just need to control food intake. Depending on how much you have to lose you may find you have more energy for a fun activity when you have lost a bit.
  • Do Deer poop in the woods?
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member

Lies.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Does doing chores get your heart rate up and make you sweaty? If so, that's exercise. But if not, you should look into adding something new into your routine like cardio or weight training. (Preferably both.) You will reap many health benefits and also speed up your weight loss if you exercise in addition to your house work.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    If you don't mind being flappy.......
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member

Lies.

Nope, that's pretty much 100% true >>;
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    In the book The Happiness Advantage, those housecleaning staff who were told they were getting a workout lost weight. So

YOU ARE GETTING A WORKOUT AT WORK.

Also, take photos of where you are now and one month from now. Do you look nice and toned? Yes, don't you need exercise. No you need exercise.
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    You don't need to, but it is much better. Remember, exercise doesn't only mean going out and running 5+ miles or doing an hour-long aerobics class. You don't have to go all-out.

Even 15 minutes a day is great. If you want to do it for free, hop on youtube and search for what you want to do. Run your computer into your TV with an HDMI cable, or if you have an Xbox or something, you can get onto the internet that way. Yoga? Search for "Yoga classes". Aerobics? Search for "Aerobics classes". Indoor Biking if you have a bike and rollers or an exercise cycle? "Indoor cycling videos" or "Spinning videos".

And even if you only have 10 or 15 minutes, you don't have to do the full 30-minute or 45-minute class that they show. In fact, it's probably better to just do just a little bit at a time in the beginning. The important thing is you do it 3+ times a week. Even if you come home tired, after a week or two of this, you will find it isn't a big deal, and you will look and feel better. If you get in better shape, it will probably make the work you do in the daytime easier. And you may end up even looking forward to it (gasp).
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member

Lies.

Nope, that's pretty much 100% true >>;

It really depends on how much weight you are losing. If you lost less then 20 pounds without exercise and you are young and resilient, chances are you'll look fine. Generally someone who exercises will FEEL better, and be healthier.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    I lost most of my weight before I started exercising.
    These days lots of people have sedentary desk job... I do now.
    But, I once was a hotel housekeeper, too. I remember how wiped out I was when I got home. And I was so much younger then too! I'd never be able to cut it now.

You have exercise built into your daily activities...
    So you ARE exercising!
    If and when you want to add more is up to you.
    As I got healthier, I felt more a need to use my body more and it was much easier once I was lighter

Just remember not to count your activity twice.
    if you set your activity level to sedentary... you get to log all of your activities.
    If you up your activity level, log only things that go above and beyond your usual activities.
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    My friend got a job as a housekeeper at a hotel and she is a crazy cleaner so while still eating like crazy managed to lose almost 40lbs and 4 pant sizes just from the increase in daily activity so I would think that if you watch your food you might be okay. And if later you decide you aren't acheiving the results you want you may be motivated to add exercise.

But start simple and stick with the food if thats what works for you now.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Agreed. "Skinny fat" is usually what you see when you do one and not the other.

More lies.

"Skinny fat" is when a person is in a "normal" weight range but still has a high body fat level.

But if I put a "skinny fat" person in a room, and gave them only water for weeks, or months, they'll get lean. This is why concentration camp victims, and other truly starving people, aren't "skinny fat", they're just skinny and very lean. Even with lower muscle mass it's quite possible to lose the "skinny fat" look without exercise.

Exercise is for greater health, especially cardiovascular health. And weight lifting helps improve your overall body composition and aesthetics, amongst other amazing benefits.

But fat is fat. Keep cutting it and you'll eventually get lean.