Success is a Mindset

Options
I had an interesting presentation by someone today and thought I'd share some of the thoughts that were expressed because they resonate particularly with me and this place.

He proposed a list of ten points that he had found on the internet of characteristics of successful people – now, if you are like me, you dislike these canned lists of motivation, and there are hundreds of them with varying subjects and methods about habits. (Hello, Covey!)

But, since I found this useful and a propos, here it is. Perhaps you have your own list?

Success is a Mindset

1) Successful people have a strong work ethic – Whether you are losing weight, getting stronger, achieving new goals you have got to work and not be lazy. Laziness (other than the strategic, inventive type of laziness) doesn’t allow success.

2) You need to be curious and eager to learn – To know more about weight loss, nutrition, how it works, what are the real variable and valuable actions, one needs to actively pursue new understandings.

3) Invest and never give us – Success is all about investing in yourself and not letting small setbacks keep you down.

4) Use creativity to solve unique problems – This might seem like it’s not that related to fitness but, in fact, finding time or a place to exercise, planning and negotiating time with all the other daily pressures is all about creative planning.

5) Be responsible and self-reliant – It’s going to be your success or your failure, own it. But to a more important level and perhaps this is one of the points with which I found the most resonance – one needs to achieve a long-term sense of self-worth. To succeed, it’s essential to see value not only in yourself, the transformational outcome but also that the process will get you there, if you do it.

6) Keep perspective and be relaxed – Successful people are not driven by a sense of panic, and navigate difficult moments with grace. In particular, look at how people manage in a crisis. Successful navigation out of a crisis is best managed with perspective not panic or guilt.

7) Live in the moment – Focus on the immediate action and the necessary element to get things done, the exercise routine accomplished, the eating plan achieved, not so much on what you did yesterday or what you will do tomorrow. In terms of physical activity, for example climbing, present moment awareness can be the difference between a good climb or an accident. Focus.

8) Take action immediately – Get things done in the now.

9) Network and connect with others – There are those that know technique, have better knowledge, can help along the way. Use them and support them.

10) Look past the wall to see the future. This doesn’t contradict point 7; when one is stuck or can’t help being disappointed with the time it takes, the meager achievements so far it can be essential to see beyond current barriers and disappointments and visualize what success will be and how it will be used.

So, it’s a list, perhaps you have your own? Perhaps some of these seem obvious?
I hope it helps, I know I found it useful – I can see the points where I’m strong and the others where I can work on.

Best of luck!

Replies

• ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I had an interesting presentation by someone today and thought I'd share some of the thoughts that were expressed because they resonate particularly with me and this place.

He proposed a list of ten points that he had found on the internet of characteristics of successful people – now, if you are like me, you dislike these canned lists of motivation, and there are hundreds of them with varying subjects and methods about habits. (Hello, Covey!)

But, since I found this useful and a propos, here it is. Perhaps you have your own list?

Success is a Mindset

1) Successful people have a strong work ethic – Whether you are losing weight, getting stronger, achieving new goals you have got to work and not be lazy. Laziness (other than the strategic, inventive type of laziness) doesn’t allow success.

2) You need to be curious and eager to learn – To know more about weight loss, nutrition, how it works, what are the real variable and valuable actions, one needs to actively pursue new understandings.

3) Invest and never give us – Success is all about investing in yourself and not letting small setbacks keep you down.

4) Use creativity to solve unique problems – This might seem like it’s not that related to fitness but, in fact, finding time or a place to exercise, planning and negotiating time with all the other daily pressures is all about creative planning.

5) Be responsible and self-reliant – It’s going to be your success or your failure, own it. But to a more important level and perhaps this is one of the points with which I found the most resonance – one needs to achieve a long-term sense of self-worth. To succeed, it’s essential to see value not only in yourself, the transformational outcome but also that the process will get you there, if you do it.

6) Keep perspective and be relaxed – Successful people are not driven by a sense of panic, and navigate difficult moments with grace. In particular, look at how people manage in a crisis. Successful navigation out of a crisis is best managed with perspective not panic or guilt.

7) Live in the moment – Focus on the immediate action and the necessary element to get things done, the exercise routine accomplished, the eating plan achieved, not so much on what you did yesterday or what you will do tomorrow. In terms of physical activity, for example climbing, present moment awareness can be the difference between a good climb or an accident. Focus.

9) Network and connect with others – There are those that know technique, have better knowledge, can help along the way. Use them and support them.

10) Look past the wall to see the future. This doesn’t contradict point 7; when one is stuck or can’t help being disappointed with the time it takes, the meager achievements so far it can be essential to see beyond current barriers and disappointments and visualize what success will be and how it will be used.

So, it’s a list, perhaps you have your own? Perhaps some of these seem obvious?
    I hope it helps, I know I found it useful – I can see the points where I’m strong and the others where I can work on.

Best of luck!

This is excellent.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    That's broscience!

(...and in.)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I was ready to cringe but actually it's a very good list.
    I found it interesting to compare my own behaviours and attitudes against each of the ten points.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I like it!

I would add (kind of a subset of #5) 'Take Responsibility" - don't spend time trying to play the 'blame game'.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I was ready to cringe but actually it's a very good list.
    I found it interesting to compare my own behaviours and attitudes against each of the ten points.

This was exactly my reaction during the presentation - oh (groan) a list. (groan) ten points (groan) from the internet (groan) on success.

Yet, I found it compelling and found myself using it as a mental checklist - (yeah, I could do a few a little more...)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Like the list!!!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I like this list.

I like it a lot. Especially the "don't panic" part. Because I refuse to panic.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Love :heart:
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Love the whole list - but I've learned to live by this one. :heart:

• mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    solid :flowerforyou:
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Love this - thanks for sharing!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Very true. Also good planning is required.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Very true. Also good planning is required.

Yeah, that one might be 11.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    LOVE this post!! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Love this post
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Love it! I think the list may also explain why successful MFPers seem generally more awesome than people you meet in real life- it's not just their physical appearance, but they have many attractive personality characteristics in common as well.