New to lifting weights

Options
I joined a gym yesterday! I have always been a cardio queen but I have finally decided that I need to start lifting weights. I have a friend who used to power lift and she came to the gym with me last night and tried to show me some stuff and tell me how to use the machines but she couldn't stay with me so after about 20 minutes I jumped on the trusty treadmill. Can anyone offer some advise or tell me some exercises or a routine? I would like to lift weights for about 40 minutes and I am trying to alternate between upper body and lower body maybe about 4 or 5 times a week while doing some ab work 3 times a week plus 15-20 minutes of cardio after weight training. Thanks :)

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Find a program that appeals to you. There's Starting Strength and StrongLifts that tons of MFpers swear by. It's full body 3 times a week. You might like Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer, New a Rules of Lifting or Strong Curves as well. They'd till focus/use the compound lifts, but have more to them.

Also, imho, with strength training/lifting, don't aim for a set time. Work the program, go through your sets and reps with the appropriate rest periods. It may take 25 minutes, it may take an hour, depending on the program/day.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yep. All of those programs are great. I do StrongLifts and really enjoy it. If you join this group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

You can get links to descriptions and videos of all of the lifts as well as a great, helpful community of ladies who have been where you are at now.

You will not need to do ab work or a ton of crazy, random exercises to get strong with a full body routine like StrongLifts or Starting Strength.
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Most gyms have personal trainers that will give you 1 session free. That's my first suggestion. They can set you up with a routine, as long as you tell them what you want to do on the cardio side each day or week, so you can fit in some weight training.

2nd suggestion is that most gyms I have seen have a "30-minute express workout" area. Usually a line of machines, and you start at the first one, pump for 1-2 minutes, move to the next one, etc. until you get to the last machine. The line of machines usually hits all the muscle groups, and you can always skip the upper body or lower body ones if you want to alternate days. If your gym doesn't have that, mentally map out which ones you should use.

Sorry I can't recommend specific exercises. I do 95% cardio, and hardly ever do weight training, though that may change sometime. I am big into biking and running, but I intersperse elliptical in a couple of times a week. But getting a trainer to put you on a system is best.

One last suggestion: No matter what machines and how many machines you end up doing, start out with very low weight, and higher reps for each set. You might think it feels too easy, but your body needs a few days to get used to the movements. Lifting weights works muscles that cardio might not work, or works them in different ways than running or biking or elliptical does. If you go all out the first day or two, I can guarantee you that you will be sore for a few days, and then you'll end up skipping a few days to recover.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Find a program that appeals to you. There's Starting Strength and StrongLifts that tons of MFpers swear by. It's full body 3 times a week. You might like Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer, New a Rules of Lifting or Strong Curves as well. They'd till focus/use the compound lifts, but have more to them.

Also, imho, with strength training/lifting, don't aim for a set time. Work the program, go through your sets and reps with the appropriate rest periods. It may take 25 minutes, it may take an hour, depending on the program/day.

nailed it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

this group has a summary of the SL 5x5 program with youtube videos to go with it along with try searching on youtube

so you think you can squat/deadlift/bench press they are wonderful.

As for the time it takes etc if you do a full body compound lifting routine you wont need to do a seperate ab workout if you don't want to...I don't do one situp and I am losing inches and see definition.

It used to take me about 30mins when I started with 1min rests between sets..it now, after 6monts and 3 1/2min rests, takes over an hour...but it's not all "work" most of it rest time

Strong lifts has 5 exercises

Workout A

Squat, Bench, rows

Workout B
    Squat, Overhead press, Dead lift

Alternating every other day for 3 days a week...M/W/F or Tu/Th/Sat

I personally do HIIT training on my off days and take weekends off which works out great because if I miss Friday I can do it saturday or if I am going to miss Monday I can do it sunday and still get my HIIT and rest days in.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Also, someone at the gym (usually a trainer) should always be available for questions and assistance. Most gyms offer an initial walk-through of the facility and/or a session with a trainer (at no extra cost) to show you how to use the equipment. They don't want anyone to injure themselves!

Good luck! I strength train using the machines, but want to get into more lifting with free weights too. I've been thinking about paying for a few PT sessions at my gym to help me get started.....I just need to find the time!
  • sammycat1
    sammycat1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You should definitely get someone from the gym to help you.

I'm using a plan from bodybuilding.com Click on find a plan and it takes you through the steps to find a plan that suits you and it's free although you have to register. Also gives you videos of how to do everything how many etc and nutrition plan if you want. Great site.

Good luck.
  • purpleroxmysocks
    purpleroxmysocks Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am actually looking at the StrongLift 5x5 program right now. The gym does have a private trainer but I am not sure when they are available and I do most of my working out between 11 pm and midnight when I get off from work but maybe I can stop in before work and see what they can offer me. I guess I am just a little intimidated by exercises that use a bar.