Happy Pi Day!...or is it Pie?

Options
Josalinn
Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
3.14 or March 14, either way you look at it, Pi and Pie are awesome.

And why is this so perfect? Pi is the ratio of a circle to the circles diameter, and so it is only natural that a dessert named after Pi would then be a circle. A delicious circle filed with things like chicken and potatoes...or pecans!

What is your favorite pie? Or do you use Pi on a regular basis?

28e8cf1b-f9be-4f1d-835d-e934ad9bbd6d.png

I am wearing this shirt today. It is from shirt.woot.com

Replies

• PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    HAPPY PI/PIE DAY :-)

FAVORITE PIE: too many to chose. Apple of course is high on the list. I recently learned how to make an old fashion butter milk pie, quite delicious.
  • Josalinn
    Options
    I have never heard of a buttermilk pie. It sounds divine though!
  • khkjkk
    khkjkk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Happy PI Day!

Looking forward to next year. 3/14/15
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Of course, you know it's actually steak day, right?
  • Josalinn
    Options
    I know right? The ultimate Pi day!
  • chemteacher1987
    chemteacher1987 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    3.1415926 that's what I have memorized so far.

Next year is the ultimate pi day 3/14/15 at 9:26:53 AM
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Is anyone actually making pie today though? I am... chocolate cream... Not my fav but doing it for the SO
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Beh -- why do we get to ignore the "20" in the middle of that?
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    My boss: Today is "pie" day

Me (excited): oh? so you're buying us a pie today? Cool!

My boss: No, not P - I - E, P - I as in 3.14

Me (disappointed): Well, where's the fun in that? I think you should buy us a pie.

*crickets*
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    1299826812-88.jpg
  • Josalinn
    Options
    Is anyone actually making pie today though? I am... chocolate cream... Not my fav but doing it for the SO

I ordered a pie from a local bakery. I hope he has a lot of business today!
  • Josalinn
    Options

Beh -- why do we get to ignore the "20" in the middle of that?

Because its fun =)
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    I thought it only meant something to us math geeks. But I guess this presents an opportunity to spread good PR about math! Without pi, how would we ever be able to figure out circumferences and lengths of arcs? Pi is so under-rated. I do have a question though. When I went to school many many many years ago, we were taught pi = 3.142857 which is 22/7. So that was not correct?

Oh, my favorite pie is pizza pie of course! Loaded up with pepperoni, mushrooms, sausage, onions, black olives, spinach, tomatoes, extra sauce and extra cheese.

My favorite dessert pie is more difficult to pinpoint. I love coconut cream, banana cream, dutch apple, blueberry, pumpkin, strawberry rhubarb, and key lime.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I didn't go to math school so I don't know what the hell pi is...3.14 wtf do I care
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Pi day everywhere outside the US is 22nd July. I have to wait for pie celebrations. I might claim dual nationality for a day, just for more pie.
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    At position 9,202,591 in pi you will find Jenny's phone number: 8675309
    :flowerforyou:
  • Josalinn
    Options
    I thought it only meant something to us math geeks. But I guess this presents an opportunity to spread good PR about math! Without pi, how would we ever be able to figure out circumferences and lengths of arcs? Pi is so under-rated. I do have a question though. When I went to school many many many years ago, we were taught pi = 3.142857 which is 22/7. So that was not correct?

Oh, my favorite pie is pizza pie of course! Loaded up with pepperoni, mushrooms, sausage, onions, black olives, spinach, tomatoes, extra sauce and extra cheese.

My favorite dessert pie is more difficult to pinpoint. I love coconut cream, banana cream, dutch apple, blueberry, pumpkin, strawberry rhubarb, and key lime.

US just does it backwards. But you could celebrate 2x! More Pi!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

22/7 is an approximation of pi, not exact. There is no "exact" number for pi, as it's an irrational number. 3.14159265359 and on and on.
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    At position 9,202,591 in pi you will find Jenny's phone number: 8675309
    :flowerforyou:

^ Math geek of all math geeks! I guess Tommy Tutone was a math geek too!
  • halfiron2014
    Options
    Pi day is my Birthday